or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dark stains/ light cracking/imperfect stitching on brand new AE Strand?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark stains/ light cracking/imperfect stitching on brand new AE Strand?

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
I just purchased the AE Strand at the nordstrom sale, and have been wearing the shoes for the good part of today. I noticed as I was cleaning my shoes that they have small black smudges (I was able to wipe these off but it is still a bit dirty), the leather is very slightly cracking, and some of the stitching is fraying(slight but still a bit noticeable). I just finished exchanging a pair of shoes there and am hesistant to exchange ANOTHER pair of shoes...but I just have the feeling that these aren't living up to AE standard (the other pair i purchased are almost perfect condition).

Has anyone had similar experiences? Are these imperfections common? Or do you think these flaws warrant an exchange?


post #2 of 41
It looks like what you're referring to as "cracking" is really just normal creasing that appears when you wear them. It looks like your pair was probably tried on in the store. From the photos, I can't tell what the smudging is, but from your post, it sounds like it will come off with a little leather cleaner.
post #3 of 41
First pair of shoes....ever?
post #4 of 41
Say it with me, c-r-e-a-s-i-n-g.
post #5 of 41
Thread Starter 
I think I was just mostly concerned about the black smudges (which I realize is hard to see from the pictures). I think it might be from the shoelaces, but this seems unlikely because the smudges are all around the shoe. It almost looks like black shoe polish. I guess I'm just wondering if this is a normal occurrence in walnut colored shoes from allen edmonds (as a resault of the dyeing process) or if it might be some sort of defect in the product.

I do agree about the "creasing" though...I was just a little skeptical because both pairs had creasing, even the unlaced right shoe (which suggests it had not been tried on before).
post #6 of 41
Wtf....they're shoes. Wear them.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post
do you think these flaws warrant an exchange?

I don't think you want to know what we really think
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post
I do agree about the "creasing" though...I was just a little skeptical because both pairs had creasing, even the unlaced right shoe (which suggests it had not been tried on before).
I just re-read your original post. You've been wearing them today. Of course they are creased. Similarly, how do you know they haven't gotten dirty since you've been out and about with them on?
post #9 of 41
Thread Starter 


For a forum that stresses draconian attention to detail, I'd think that a question such as my own wouldn't be considered overly critical.

Anyway, I'm just gonna buy some leather cleaner and buff off the spots and hope for the best.
post #10 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
I just re-read your original post. You've been wearing them today. Of course they are creased. Similarly, how do you know they haven't gotten dirty since you've been out and about with them on?

I think I noticed they were creased before I tried them on, but I can live with it. I was very careful where I was walking, and the stains seem unusual (black polish like stains) in appearance. It was around 110 degrees...maybe this had some effect? The shoelaces felt especially oily.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post


For a forum that stresses draconian attention to detail, I'd think that a question such as my own wouldn't be considered overly critical.

Anyway, I'm just gonna buy some leather cleaner and buff off the spots and hope for the best.

Some do, others stress wearing the clothes as clothing. They're shoes, they're going to get a little messed up.

I rubbed a pair of $800 cordovan loafers on a curb the other day, life continues as if it never happened. Polish them up again and move on.
post #12 of 41
I can't see the smudges very well, but the crackling you referring to seems like normal creasing. No matter how carefully you walk in any shoe you will bend the leather and cause creasing. With leather conditioner the creasing will be minimized and with polish it won't be noticeable.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post
I think I noticed they were creased before I tried them on, but I can live with it. I was very careful where I was walking, and the stains seem unusual (black polish like stains) in appearance. It was around 110 degrees...maybe this had some effect? The shoelaces felt especially oily.

Asphalt?
The rest is normal creasing, just buy some conditioner, cream and wax!
post #14 of 41
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help people.

I think I'm over it now. I used to baby my air jordans in middle school (god help you if you stepped on them), so I guess its just residual habits dying hard. Gonna clean em up and get over it.

Still have to make a return on the other pair of shoes I got, however stupid #8 last is horrible on me
post #15 of 41
Black stains and smudges are the burnishing that AE puts on the shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dark stains/ light cracking/imperfect stitching on brand new AE Strand?