Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :) - Page 2

post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosu3 View Post
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) encourages the growth of cancerous cells and fuels ones if they already exist.


For food: brown rice, oatmeal, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, fruits/veggies, egg whites

Yes, more power; for life!
post #17 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
Things to get:

Microwave/toaster oven
Panini grill/George Foreman grill
Bath towels
409 and rags to wash wipe everything
Broom & dustpan
Mop
Window covering/blinds/curtains
Toilet seat
Shower curtain
A chair
Bed linen
A water purifier
Container to hold drinking water
Plunger
A scrubbing brush
Doormat

You can find simple meal ideas searching the web. When I did this all I had was a cookbook with simple recipes but it helped A LOT.

And remember: wall paint goes a long way

Do you have a place lined up? If so, tell us about it.

Thanks for the list, very helpful. And I don't have a place lined up for sure yet, but I'm going to see a place tomorrow that is a) in my budget and b) a place I could definitely see myself in. I'm at work right now, but I'll post the pics of it when I get home. Too much work to find and post pics from my iPhone.
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosu3 View Post
Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) encourages the growth of cancerous cells and fuels ones if they already exist.


I'll put that little bit of knowledge in the who cares category.
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incman View Post
Roommate is a definite no. I'm moving partially to leave a situation of loud, dirty and inconsiderate family members, so I'm not gonna risk having all the same issues with a roommate.




Dude, relax. My family drives me as crazy as anyone for exactly the same reasons. I'm just saying, stay open to the possibility in the future. In my experience, living alone too much when young allows people to retreat too much into their own weirdness. Also, in my experience dealing with roomate stuff is much easier simply because they are roomates, and your relationship with them doesnt carry all the same baggage as that of family.
post #20 of 67
Simple Food ideas

1) Get marinara sauce (in a jar, on sale) and any pasta. Boil pasta and heat the sauce.
2) Kraft Macaroni and cheese (watch for it on sale and stock up. Boil and eat.
3) Taco seasoning mix, 1 lb hamburger, taco shells and cheese. Fry hamburger, add seasoning and let sit.
4)Jambalaya mix, just add one package of Adells sausages like cajun or artichoke and garlic. Boil and serve.
5) any egg dish.
6) we buy pre cooked chickens at any of the grocery stores around here for only $9. they are good for at least two meals. Cut up and put on lettuce for a chicken ceasar salad.
post #21 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
Dude, relax. My family drives me as crazy as anyone for exactly the same reasons. I'm just saying, stay open to the possibility in the future. In my experience, living alone too much when young allows people to retreat too much into their own weirdness. Also, in my experience dealing with roomate stuff is much easier simply because they are roomates, and your relationship with them doesnt carry all the same baggage as that of family.

Lol I reread my post and I didn't mean for it to come across as douchey sounding. My apologies. However, the point stands. I've been through a lot in my life that has weight on my decision, and my mind is made up. I appreciate the points you make regarding roommates, but I do not need anymore stresses added to my life, especially if they can be avoided. I made this thread to get some advice on furnishings/household supplies/cooking, and I'm still open to any advice the wiser members here can contribute. Thanks
post #22 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
Simple Food ideas

1) Get marinara sauce (in a jar, on sale) and any pasta. Boil pasta and heat the sauce.
2) Kraft Macaroni and cheese (watch for it on sale and stock up. Boil and eat.
3) Taco seasoning mix, 1 lb hamburger, taco shells and cheese. Fry hamburger, add seasoning and let sit.
4)Jambalaya mix, just add one package of Adells sausages like cajun or artichoke and garlic. Boil and serve.
5) any egg dish.
6) we buy pre cooked chickens at any of the grocery stores around here for only $9. they are good for at least two meals. Cut up and put on lettuce for a chicken ceasar salad.

Great list. Thanks a lot
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incman View Post
Lol I reread my post and I didn't mean for it to come across as douchey sounding. My apologies. However, the point stands. I've been through a lot in my life that has weight on my decision, and my mind is made up. I appreciate the points you make regarding roommates, but I do not need anymore stresses added to my life, especially if they can be avoided. I made this thread to get some advice on furnishings/household supplies/cooking, and I'm still open to any advice the wiser members here can contribute. Thanks

Fair enough. I would say don't buy any new furniture. Period. Even from ikea. You can almost always get something better from craigslist/consignmentshops/garage sales, and it will almost always cost less.
post #24 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
Fair enough. I would say don't buy any new furniture. Period. Even from ikea. You can almost always get something better from craigslist/consignmentshops/garage sales, and it will almost always cost less.

Definitely. Just doing a cursory glance of kijiji i saw several cheap and clean options for couches and coffee tables and such. Not that I could afford to buy everything new anyhow lol.
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
Fair enough. I would say don't buy any new furniture. Period. Even from ikea. You can almost always get something better from craigslist/consignmentshops/garage sales, and it will almost always cost less.

and www.freecycle.org/
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incman View Post
Lol I reread my post and I didn't mean for it to come across as douchey sounding. My apologies. However, the point stands. I've been through a lot in my life that has weight on my decision, and my mind is made up. I appreciate the points you make regarding roommates, but I do not need anymore stresses added to my life, especially if they can be avoided. I made this thread to get some advice on furnishings/household supplies/cooking, and I'm still open to any advice the wiser members here can contribute. Thanks

I can totally understand that you want to live alone. I had a few roommates when I moved out of my parents' house and now I'm really happy to finally live alone.

Anyway, try not to worry too much about all the stuff you might need. At first, I got a ton of things just because I thought that I would be needing them or because they were things that people generally had in their homes. I ended up getting rid of most of it because I didn't really use it and it took too much space. Once you have basic furniture and all that you can probably just get the rest whenever you feel like you're missing something.
post #27 of 67
Spaghetti is easy to cook and so is Hamburger Helper. A decent vacuum and some Resolve are good to keep around. AA, AAA and 9Volt batteries -- buy them! Bigbris has a good list too.
post #28 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huihui105 View Post
nomatter who you are new or old customers to buy the corresponding product on this site, both a gift, so stay tuned! ! ! UGG BOOT ,nike shoes,air jordan shoes,nike shox shoes,gucci shoes ,true religion jeans, ed hardy jeans,coogi jeans,affliction jeans, Laguna Beach Jeans,ed hardy T-shirts,Coogi T-shirts,Christian Audigier T-shirts,Gucci T-shirts,Polo T-shirts,coach handbag,gucci handbag,prada handbag,chanel handbag . (I)Our Company is Online store, and we alawys offer top quality sport shoes, famous brand shoes and sportswear at good price. (II) In the past 6 years, we have sent great many products to the customers in USA, Europe, ASIA and other area, also we have lots of experience in dealing with online business oversea (III) Generally, Goods are delivered in fast and safety way Of course, shoes and clothing will be packaged in original box with tags
This is a good thread. GTFO spam!
post #29 of 67
Ill veer away from the food recs and give you some other kind of advice. My guess is that you are probably a little apprehensive about the new situation, as anyone would be - especially about moving out in times of stress. Moving day will be extremely hard and stressful, if you have a family member / SO with you, plan on getting in a fight. Your first night will be a little odd, knowing you have nobody to back you up in case of an emergency. Make sure the doors are locked, if you have an alarm system, make sure its on. It will help you sleep better. Keep a weapon of some form close to the bed. Know where the fusebox is and keep a flashlight handy. Never run out of batteries, paper towels, beer, or toilet paper. Your first grocery store trip, plan on spending $300 or so to stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc. for a "just in case" moment. Get a safe or lockbox. Know where the closest fire dept. and police stations are located.
post #30 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post
Ill veer away from the food recs and give you some other kind of advice.

My guess is that you are probably a little apprehensive about the new situation, as anyone would be - especially about moving out in times of stress.

Moving day will be extremely hard and stressful, if you have a family member / SO with you, plan on getting in a fight.

Your first night will be a little odd, knowing you have nobody to back you up in case of an emergency. Make sure the doors are locked, if you have an alarm system, make sure its on. It will help you sleep better.

Keep a weapon of some form close to the bed.

Know where the fusebox is and keep a flashlight handy.

Never run out of batteries, paper towels, beer, or toilet paper.

Your first grocery store trip, plan on spending $300 or so to stock up on canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc. for a "just in case" moment.

Get a safe or lockbox.

Know where the closest fire dept. and police stations are located.

Stop making me paranoid. Good advice, though. I always lock shit and check multiple times (should probably add to the OCD threak), multiple flashlights, probably 100 batteries, baseball bat resides in arms reach under bed, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Student moving out for the first time - help and advice needed :)