or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Oxxford suit on Ebay...what do you think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oxxford suit on Ebay...what do you think? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
Here's an Oxxford suit for $300. Any red flags about neiman Marcus Oxxfords? Any experience with this seller?

The first suit is NWT and this used NM suit one looks to have some wear and is certainly a lot older. It's obviously been tailored too.

As to the seller, I believe they are a consignment operation in Conn. As such, I'm sure they get many beautiful high end items, and many items that are worn pretty well. BTW, everything they list is described as "Mint"! To me this would be a red flag, or at the least make me wary. Having said that, I've bid on their auctions, but never won an auction, and I'm kind of glad!

As to your last question. No, there's nothing wrong with Neiman Marcus Oxxford's. It's the specific suit, and it's age and condition that matters.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh
The first suit is NWT and this used NM suit one looks to have some wear and is certainly a lot older. It's obviously been tailored too.

As to the seller, I believe they are a consignment operation in Conn. As such, I'm sure they get many beautiful high end items, and many items that are worn pretty well. BTW, everything they list is described as "Mint"! To me this would be a red flag, or at the least make me wary. Having said that, I've bid on their auctions, but never won an auction, and I'm kind of glad!

As to your last question. No, there's nothing wrong with Neiman Marcus Oxxford's. It's the specific suit, and it's age and condition that matters.

Thanks for all that. I'm not sure it really would fit anyway.

I wasn't meaning to imply that the suits were somehow comparable. I was just doing a little thread-jacking is all.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
Here's an Oxxford suit for $300. Any red flags about neiman Marcus Oxxfords? Any experience with this seller?

i think that the opening bid ($115) or slightly above would probably take it. no need to go for the $295 BIN
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i think that the opening bid ($115) or slightly above would probably take it. no need to go for the $295 BIN

I was thinking the same thing. For 115, it might be worth taking a chance. At 300, you're talking real money for an unknown quantity on a used suit.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
I was thinking the same thing. For 115, it might be worth taking a chance. At 300, you're talking real money for an unknown quantity on a used suit.

I just looked at the listing closer. The pants are flat front and they don't have cuffs. In my experience, the Oxxfords on Ebay with flat front pants are generally very old. Usually 20 to 30 years old! As Chuck F. has pointed out, Oxxford is a timeless garment, and if you like the classic style, then the age should not matter. But this suit is probably an oldie but goodie! And I would certainly inquire if there were some fabric to add cuffs. Unless, you are OK with that too.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I just looked at the listing closer. The pants are flat front and they don't have cuffs. In my experience, the Oxxfords on Ebay with flat front pants are generally very old. Usually 20 to 30 years old! As Chuck F. has pointed out, Oxxford is a timeless garment, and if you like the classic style, then the age should not matter. But this suit is probably an oldie but goodie! And I would certainly inquire if there were some fabric to add cuffs. Unless, you are OK with that too.

I'm OK with uncuffed flat fronts. In fact, I think with flat fronts I'd prefer it. My greater concern is whether I could let out enough of the hem to avoid looking like Thom Brown. 29" is pretty short.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an Oxxford suit for $300. Any red flags about neiman Marcus Oxxfords? Any experience with this seller?

There are no red flags about Neiman Marcus Oxxford's in general. However, that particular suit is way vintage. Also, I don't like the seller cause they stole their copy from my auctions, but I guess that is more of a personal issue
post #23 of 27
Why on earth would you want cuffs on flat front pants?
post #24 of 27
Oops. Forgot to buy that vintage oxxford suit on ebay today. @#$@#% work, getting in the way of my shopping...
post #25 of 27
Note that the suit that is the subject of this thread is single-vented. Not that that's the end of the world - I have some single-vented suits I'm quite fond of. But it's neither au courant nor, I gather, the preference of most posters here.
Just FWIW.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Note that the suit that is the subject of this thread is single-vented. Not that that's the end of the world - I have some single-vented suits I'm quite fond of. But it's neither au courant nor, I gather, the preference of most posters here.
Just FWIW.


Do you mean the original $600 suit, or my thread-jacking suit?

Have side-vented suits really become the style? Maybe then it is time to start a center-vent rebellion...
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
Do you mean the original $600 suit, or my thread-jacking suit?

Have side-vented suits really become the style? Maybe then it is time to start a center-vent rebellion...
The $600 one - didn't notice one way or the other on the one you let get away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Oxxford suit on Ebay...what do you think?