or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Easy Riders
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Easy Riders

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I recently saw a DVD called Easy Riders..the ending wasn't so sucessful..but I think this movie was great

Some parts made me confused about the American dream ..with Captain America (Peter Fonda)- why did that guy have to die ? but he was involved in drugs so I guess I can understand the point.

I have a small question- when they were in the grave yard..was that in California??


Thanks

-Danny Wilson
post #2 of 13
I really have no idea why I am responding to this, but here goes:

Captain America "died" because he was a long-haired hippy type who visually offended some rednecks. He also died because his version of the American "ideal" was in conflict with that of most Americans at the time. And, because the film wouldn't have carried the visceral impact had he simply ridden off into the sunset, to live (presumably) happily ever after.

In short, he died because of his incessant harping on wanting to live like the California surfer dudes.

(The grave yard scene was filmed in New Orleans. All the participants in said montage were tripping their eyes out whilst wasted on lysergic acid diethylamide, a substance often utilized by California types of the period to expand their vision so as to more fully appreciate said California lifestyle.)
post #3 of 13
Easy Rider was one of the dumbest movies I have ever sat through. I don't know how so many people can like it. I mean, old stoners, fine. But some young people actually like this movie. This makes no sense to me.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I really have no idea why I am responding to this, but here goes:

Captain America "died" because he was a long-haired hippy type who visually offended some rednecks. He also died because his version of the American "ideal" was in conflict with that of most Americans at the time. And, because the film wouldn't have carried the visceral impact had he simply ridden off into the sunset, to live (presumably) happily ever after.]

Hey Dakota-

so do you think he died because he followed hs dream?

what about Jack??- because of "puntang"?

I was rather sad about what happened to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
In short, he died because of his incessant harping on wanting to live like the California surfer dudes.


but he never talked about the Beach Boys..or surfing
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Easy Rider was one of the dumbest movies I have ever sat through.

..but did you even like Captain America's motorcycle?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

In short, he died because of his incessant harping on wanting to live like the California surfer dudes.


post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson brother
..but did you even like Captain America's motorcycle?
No, though the paintwork was somewhat impressive (and by now classic) I really have no taste for big, weird choppers like that. I like bikes that work.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
(The grave yard scene was filmed in New Orleans. All the participants in said montage were tripping their eyes out whilst wasted on lysergic acid diethylamide, a substance often utilized by California types of the period to expand their vision so as to more fully appreciate said California lifestyle.)

This is easily one of the most exhausting/annoying movie scenes I've ever sat through. It was like five straight minutes of someone running their fingernails down a chalkboard.

I also generally agree with j's opinion on the movie. I just didn't "get it" (I'm probably a generation or two too late).
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson brother
I have a small question- when they were in the grave yard..was that in California??
No, New Orleans. The movie begins in Mexico, where they buy the drugs, then goes to California (LAX) where they sell the drugs to Phil Spector (who really shouldn't have, but that's another story) and the rest is a trek to New Orleans where they want to be for Mardi Gras. They also stop at a commune run by Charlie X.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
No, New Orleans. The movie begins in Mexico, where they buy the drugs, then goes to California (LAX) where they sell the drugs to Phil Spector (who really shouldn't have, but that's another story) and the rest is a trek to New Orleans where they want to be for Mardi Gras.

I guess as odd as of a bird he was, we still answered his query!
Go ahead, tell us you miss him. We won't tell.

Gary
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drink8648
I guess as odd as of a bird he was, we still answered his query!
Go ahead, tell us you miss him. We won't tell.

Gary
I think it's more important for him to finish SMilE than to come back right away.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
I think it's more important for him to finish SMilE than to come back right away.

Some how, I missed this" SMilE " event. Would mind elaborating on the situation for me so I don't feel left out of this humor. Thank you!

Gary
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drink8648
Some how, I missed this" SMilE " event. Would mind elaborating on the situation for me so I don't feel left out of this humor. Thank you!

Gary
Legendary unfinished Beach Boys album from 1966/7. Brian Wilson actually did finish and record a version a year or so ago. The bootleg tracks from the original are better, though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Easy Riders