or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Esquire "Big Black Book"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Esquire "Big Black Book"?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Sorry if someone has posted about this before, but I haven't picked it up on SF. I read an article in a recent Wall Street Journal about Esquire producing a new magazine. I think the project or the mag itself was going to be called 'Big Black Book', and supposedly the cover was going to be rather austere and the back was not going to display the usual advertising. Someone in the article was quoted as saying that they were doing this so that in the future it would not look dated. If I recall the cover price was going to be $9.95, but I don't remember if it mentioned how frequently they were planning on publishing. It seemed like an upscale move, more of a luxury-oriented title vs. regular Esquire. They supposedly were well underway in terms of selling interior ad space, but would not name any names.

What do we know about this? We take the Journal at work, and I can't locate that copy, nor am I able to link to it online. I am envisioning something along the lines of Men's Vogue, which would be great IMO. (Hell, any other quality men's mag is a step in the right direction.) Not sure if they were going with the typical celebrity-profile type of format or what. Has anyone else seen or heard anything--or anybody with an online WSJ subscription that can post the text here?
post #2 of 19
Haven't heard anything about it. By the way, whatever happened to Men's Vogue? They haven't had an issue in a long time.
post #3 of 19
There certainly needs to be some magazine focused on the clothing more and less on silly, skinny model poses where you can't make out the details on the items.
post #4 of 19
I believe it was slated to be published 4 or maybe 6 times a year, so we'll have to wait. The first issue was great, but that second Tiger Woods one was a huge let-down. Anybody else remember Vitals Man? Short-lived (I think they put out 4 issues before being discontinued) but a great layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
Haven't heard anything about it. By the way, whatever happened to Men's Vogue? They haven't had an issue in a long time.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T
Sorry if someone has posted about this before, but I haven't picked it up on SF. I read an article in a recent Wall Street Journal about Esquire producing a new magazine. I think the project or the mag itself was going to be called 'Big Black Book', and supposedly the cover was going to be rather austere and the back was not going to display the usual advertising. Someone in the article was quoted as saying that they were doing this so that in the future it would not look dated. If I recall the cover price was going to be $9.95, but I don't remember if it mentioned how frequently they were planning on publishing. It seemed like an upscale move, more of a luxury-oriented title vs. regular Esquire. They supposedly were well underway in terms of selling interior ad space, but would not name any names.

What do we know about this? We take the Journal at work, and I can't locate that copy, nor am I able to link to it online. I am envisioning something along the lines of Men's Vogue, which would be great IMO. (Hell, any other quality men's mag is a step in the right direction.) Not sure if they were going with the typical celebrity-profile type of format or what. Has anyone else seen or heard anything--or anybody with an online WSJ subscription that can post the text here?

I remember reading something about this in either the last Esquire or the one before it; either way I can't find them as I just moved into a new place. IIRC, the "Big Black Book" was a shopping guide of sorts. I believe the first was to be released this November/December. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as it is entirely possible I'm thinking of something else.
post #6 of 19
and then 10 times per year starting 2007. I agree that the first issue was fantastic. As a watch collector, I especially enjoyed the relatively accurate article on Panerai with people I actually know interviewed. The second issue was, indeed, a bit of a let down. I subscribed on the strength of the first issue. They're basically giving it away at $18 for the first year and $28 for two years.
post #7 of 19
Funny I liked the first Mens Vogue alot too and was upset there was another magazine I was tempted to buy. And suprisingly the second issue I flipped through once and never thought of the magazine again. Hopefully the thrid issue is bad as well so I can just focus on my esquire subscription. Anyway i'd be interesting to see how this Big Black Book turns out (im thinking along the way of Mens Vogue).

RIP Vitals Man :'(
post #8 of 19
I suggest that you post you query at AAAC as Esquire's fashion director is a member there and posts often.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I believe it was slated to be published 4 or maybe 6 times a year, so we'll have to wait. The first issue was great, but that second Tiger Woods one was a huge let-down. Anybody else remember Vitals Man? Short-lived (I think they put out 4 issues before being discontinued) but a great layout.

VITALS was indeed promising. Great layout as you stated.
I have not seen it and even sent a card in for a free subscription...
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by designprofessor
VITALS was indeed promising. Great layout as you stated. I have not seen it and even sent a card in for a free subscription...
yeah, can you believe it was deemed "redundant" because Conde Nast also published the ridiculous Cargo (http://www.gawker.com/news/conde-nas...als-127791.php ), and now, less than a year later, Cargo's gone too. humph.
post #11 of 19
DNR Menswear is the best men's magazine out there right now imho.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Following Tomasso's advice I have posted at AAAC and will cross-post any relevant replies.

I'm really curious about this, especially since I just remembered that Esquire had a spin-off in the early 90's that I really loved. It was called Esquire Gentleman. That one was published maybe twice a year and focused strictly on the fashion/style stuff. Naturally, it only lasted a couple of years also. They did a Steve McQueen feature that I recall being just an outstanding piece (with lots of photos) that broke down his stylistic appeal and how he approached such varied characters as Bullitt and Thomas Crown.

Only the good die young.
post #13 of 19
I know this is old news, but I was at the pharmacy dropping off a prescription and picked up esquires black book to flip through. It seemed interesting, I would have bought it if I brought my wallet. I didn't spend to much time, but there was a good article on the different kinds of tweed, which gave very short histories on each.
post #14 of 19
The tweed section was my favorite part. I'd like to see more of that type of thing in, say, Men's Vogue, if not in Esquire itself. (Not sure how that would play with the Esquire audience.)
post #15 of 19
Do a search, the editor of this book posted both here and at AAAC.

I agree, it did sound interesting, but I don't know when it comes out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Esquire "Big Black Book"?