• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much for working buttonholes

rdlrkl

Reaction score
How much do you think a tailor should charge to shorten cuffs on a jacket and add working button holes (to basted sleeves)? Does $100 seem high?

Thanks

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdlrkl
How much do you think a tailor should charge to shorten cuffs on a jacket and add working button holes (to basted sleeves)? Does $100 seem high?

Thanks

I had the same question a week ago. Except that my tailor wanted $150 for all of that. How many buttons do you want? I ended up finding another tailor just for the sleeves. He charged $25 for shortening the sleeves and $10 per working button, but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button.

otacon

Reaction score
I know it isn't comparable, but I got a cheap (in quality, cut, pretty much everything...but it served its purpose) jacket for $30 (might have been half-off) at Urban Behavior with working button-holes. I really wish you could find more jackets like this. It depresses me just a little bit when I find a jacket I like in the store, but the buttons don't work.

Lear

Reaction score
I did this. Yet still could not attain the utmost round, nor scorn the base degrees from which I did ascend.

Lear

rdlrkl

Reaction score
I'm not sure Shakespeare faced this issue, but thanks for that anyway.

Originally Posted by Lear
I did this. Yet still could not attain the utmost round, nor scorn the base degrees from which I did ascend.

Lear

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Assuming this is a style thing with you, over full functioning, you can cut the tailoring cost, perhaps significantly, by having just the button closest to the end made working. And leave that one unbuttoned, etc.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otacon
I know it isn't comparable, but I got a cheap (in quality, cut, pretty much everything...but it served its purpose) jacket for $30 (might have been half-off) at Urban Behavior with working button-holes. I really wish you could find more jackets like this. It depresses me just a little bit when I find a jacket I like in the store, but the buttons don't work.

It's the opposite for me--if I like an RTW jacket, but it has surgeon's cuffs, I put it back. Working buttonholes do nothing for me except to make it more difficult to shorten the sleeves, which I virtually always need. They certainly don't add that bespoke flair any more.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I had the same question a week ago. Except that my tailor wanted $150 for all of that. How many buttons do you want? I ended up finding another tailor just for the sleeves. He charged $25 for shortening the sleeves and $10 per working button, but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button.
Huh?
tinfoil.gif
OP, where are you located? This is a major factor in tailor prices.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tailor is crazy expensive and he charges $80 for sleeve length and 8 buttonholes

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
...but I'd rather do the faux button hole with sewed on buttons. Those ended up way cheaper, something like $5-6 per button."

Originally Posted by KObalto
Huh?
tinfoil.gif

What is it you don't understand about that?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdlrkl
Chicago

for chicago thats a very reasonable price.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My tailor is crazy expensive and he charges $80 for sleeve length and 8 buttonholes

i dont think he values his work very much.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$100 sounds fair. i pay this much in Miami without sleeve shortening working buttholes however, are both free and priceless at the same time
wink.gif

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
$100. Bloody hell. I had mine done in London and it was £65 in total along with finishing/taking down the legs on three pairs of trousers. He did a decent job of it too. I think it was £25 or something for the buttonholes, starting from an unfinished Brooks Bros suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads