• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPIN: Worst expensive item you've ever bought

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these will be much more interesting than the best cheapies

Time + a small budget has been kind... worst purchase in recent memory was a $50 A&F madras long sleeve. Too hot to wear in the summer, too bright + colorful to wear in the other 3 seasons

Scooba

Reaction score
True Religion jeans. I thought I was the ****. I wore them twice and felt self concious each time cause of the way over-the-top back pockets. Ended up selling them on Ebay

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Anything by Neil Barrett.

howso? i have several of his leather jackets and love them

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
I think these will be much more interesting than the best cheapies

Time + a small budget has been kind... worst purchase in recent memory was a $50 A&F madras long sleeve. Too hot to wear in the summer, too bright + colorful to wear in the other 3 seasons

What do you normally pay for a clothes if 50$ is an expensive item?

Second the poster above with so-called "designer" jeans. I had a pair of sevens I really liked, but all those pairs of Chip & Pepper, 7, CoH etc. I bought 3-4 years ago were way expensive for what I got.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
What do you normally pay for a clothes if 50$ is an expensive item?

Second the poster above with so-called "designer" jeans. I had a pair of sevens I really liked, but all those pairs of Chip & Pepper, 7, CoH etc. I bought 3-4 years ago were way expensive for what I got.

If I am gonna spend big $$$ on an item, I have to feel 110% about it. Plus I am not rich like you guys. My most expensive clothing item is a $300 coat.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
If I am gonna spend big $$$ on an item, I have to feel 110% about it. Plus I am not rich like you guys. My most expensive clothing item is a $300 coat.

It's quite annoying when people go around calling everyone who spends a lot on clothing as "rich". When you give up other things in favour of buying clothes, it's doable. Everyone has their own priorities. My most expensive item was like $500 I think, but I buy a lot of items used/discounted rather than a few items new.

Not sure what mine is. I'm worried a lot that some of the suits I ordered will be too small. We'll see. I've ordered a lot of items that didn't fit in the past, so I've likely lost around $1000 on stuff that didn't fit and couldn't be return.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man without a **** jeans.

gwydion

Reaction score
When I let some girl talk me into buying R&R jeans a few years back..What a waste of money.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat Head Hawaiian Shirt - $295
RM Williams Boots - $300 (don't really like the way they look in person)

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely unrivaled, a Fubu tracksuit + matching Fubu football jersey + Fubu flexfit cap at the age of ~15/about 10 years ago. Although those are strictly speaking three items, it was basically one outfit. What the hell was I thinking ? Tell me... WHAT ? No regrets about the "Timbs", though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Everything expensive I've bought has been the best, all my worst purchases were cheap ****.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
It's quite annoying when people go around calling everyone who spends a lot on clothing as "rich". When you give up other things in favour of buying clothes, it's doable. Everyone has their own priorities. My most expensive item was like $500 I think, but I buy a lot of items used/discounted rather than a few items new. Not sure what mine is. I'm worried a lot that some of the suits I ordered will be too small. We'll see. I've ordered a lot of items that didn't fit in the past, so I've likely lost around $1000 on stuff that didn't fit and couldn't be return.
OK let me clarify. I do not feel comfortable spending what I feel is big money on clothes, nor do I want to spend the time scouring for deals. I buy a lot of stuff online, but when it comes to clothes I can't drop coin w/o trying it on. In fact the two online clothing purchases I've made- Levis 501 STFs and that A&F shirt- are the only recent purchases I really regret.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads