or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

post #1 of 153
Thread Starter 
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
So, a lot of times I really like a piece and I'm sometimes curious as to what other people think of its wearability or how good of an idea it actually is. The allure of sales over the years have made many people buy B&S-destined clothing. This is the opportune place to see if you should buy that pink sweater (yes) or gold floral tuxedo shirt (no). Maybe you think you can size down where you probably shouldn't? You could also use this thread to recommend cheaper alternatives to posted items.

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards
post #2 of 153
Thread Starter 
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
post #3 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.
Did I miss a fight somewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
1. Very versatile, on par with brown (see: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115320) 2. I would say business casual to casual 3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).
post #4 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
Did I miss a fight somewhere?


No fight, it's just that holymadness takes starting new threads rather personally and is not hesitant in voicing his opinion.
post #5 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

Cuffed jeans?
post #6 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoody15 View Post
Cuffed jeans?

Plenty here, or real life even...
post #7 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this



I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards

Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?
post #8 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoody15 View Post
Cuffed jeans?

I find cuffed jeans and chinos perfectly OK
post #9 of 153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausc View Post
Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?

The SWD thread is 572 pages currently. I have used it a couple of times and found the concept appealing. That is the reason for starting this thread. Whether it works here depends on other members.
post #10 of 153
aj_del,

The burgundy would look good with darker jeans. Burgundy would also look good with the grey flannel suits you have. Ox-blood is best with the grey, but burgundy is nice.
post #11 of 153
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use .
post #12 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobscrk777 View Post
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use .

A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter
post #13 of 153
Thread Starter 
This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.
post #14 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson McCord View Post
A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

+1000. I have one in seersucker, one in heavyweight hopsack, and one in 4 season Dormeuil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Beautiful shoes man...I'd wear em, and I love that color of cordovan, like the Alden #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.


Another nice looking shoe, however, I wouldn't get it as a replacement for the Darlton, because you know eventually you're gonna find it and buy it. They're too different to be looked at like that imo.
post #15 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
Hi Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D. The SW&D thread got started with this I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads. Best regards
...and quite right too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?