or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › are people happy with their simmons beautyrest pillowtop?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

are people happy with their simmons beautyrest pillowtop?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
I have a hookup for Simmons mattresses and was going to go with the top of the line model after testing them for a bit this weekend, but I'm reading reports on epinions that depressions seem to occur rather quickly in the pillowtops of these mattresses. Then again, the reviews are a mixed bag.. Some claim they've had the mattress for over a year with no problems and others claim to have giant depressions after a couple months. I tested them out and find them really comfortable, but am wondering if I should buy a beautyrest without pillowtop and just throw a baffle-boxed featherbed with down pillowtop on top of it...

Any opinions?
post #2 of 39
I've had mine for six years, no problems.
post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
which model do you have?
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
which model do you have?

World Class Exceptionale Crown Jewel
post #5 of 39
I'll suggest a practical reason for nixing the pillowtop: If your back were to act up, you might appreciate the possibility of having a firmer mattress.
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
I think i'm going to get the regular beautyrest and get a down-filled pillowtop feather bed to put on top of it for the extra softness. I've just been reading way too many negative reviews about the durability of the integrated pillowtops. It's too bad because they're so comfortable. Westin's heavenly beds are beautyrest pillowtops and I love sleeping at the westin.
post #7 of 39
I just bought a heavenly bed (won't be delivered until Sept though). I hope I don't regret it! I read that the feather top gets matted up really quick, in other words, you have to be constantly fluffing it. I have no idea; all I know is that I don't have time to be fluffing my bedding. I also know that some feather tops slide around, I dunno if this one does, but probably not. Also, the plush + feathertop + feathertop cover was a little more expensive than the pillowtop alone.

I think you're making the smart choice though. If you ever need to replace the top, it's simple; whereas if the pillowtop sags, you need to get a new mattress (or go through the hassle of warrantee).

Please let us know how you like it, I'll do the same.
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I think i'm going to get the regular beautyrest and get a down-filled pillowtop feather bed to put on top of it for the extra softness. I've just been reading way too many negative reviews about the durability of the integrated pillowtops. It's too bad because they're so comfortable. Westin's heavenly beds are beautyrest pillowtops and I love sleeping at the westin.
I don't know what people are doing with the beds to have that reaction. Personally I would never get a separate feathertop, as I had that setup on my previous bed and it was terrible. You had to strip the sheets and fluff the pillow top every few weeks and it would get shifted to one side of the bed or another depending on where the people on top of it actually slept. If there are two people in the bed it will either get thrust out to the sides or in the middle depending on their relative sizes. The integrated pillowtop is fixed so it doesn't have this problem. I've had my bed for six years and had utterly no problems. Mine retails for ~10k or so though.
post #9 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I don't know what people are doing with the beds to have that reaction. Personally I would never get a separate feathertop, as I had that setup on my previous bed and it was terrible. You had to strip the sheets and fluff the pillow top every few weeks and it would get shifted to one side of the bed or another depending on where the people on top of it actually slept. If there are two people in the bed it will either get thrust out to the sides or in the middle depending on their relative sizes. The integrated pillowtop is fixed so it doesn't have this problem. I've had my bed for six years and had utterly no problems. Mine retails for ~10k or so though.

Beats me, but probably half of the reviews on epinions say the same thing. Then again, there are about 90 reviews and I suppose that people are more likely to post reviews when they have a problem. I wonder if the people having the problem are all really heavy or something, but they all report the same thing.. two valleys separted by a hill after varying amounts of time.

And I can see the problems with a regular featherbed as well.

Btw, does anyone know if westin's heavenly beds are the mattresses with the plush or pillowtop options? I'm not quite sure of the difference. I need to head back to test out some more of them...
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Beats me, but probably half of the reviews on epinions say the same thing. Then again, there are about 90 reviews and I suppose that people are more likely to post reviews when they have a problem. I wonder if the people having the problem are all really heavy or something, but they all report the same thing.. two valleys separted by a hill after varying amounts of time.

And I can see the problems with a regular featherbed as well.

Btw, does anyone know if westin's heavenly beds are the mattresses with the plush or pillowtop options? I'm not quite sure of the difference. I need to head back to test out some more of them...

I really doubt that you're going to create any type of valley. I'm huge and I've never done that to any of mine... the one in my room at home, and the one at my apartment are still perfectly flat. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #11 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
I really doubt that you're going to create any type of valley. I'm huge and I've never done that to any of mine... the one in my room at home, and the one at my apartment are still perfectly flat. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ya you're probably right. I just saw all of the negative reviews on epinions and got a bit paranoid. I'm just gonna order the best one available to me.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Beats me, but probably half of the reviews on epinions say the same thing. Then again, there are about 90 reviews and I suppose that people are more likely to post reviews when they have a problem. I wonder if the people having the problem are all really heavy or something, but they all report the same thing.. two valleys separted by a hill after varying amounts of time.

And I can see the problems with a regular featherbed as well.

Btw, does anyone know if westin's heavenly beds are the mattresses with the plush or pillowtop options? I'm not quite sure of the difference. I need to head back to test out some more of them...
My understanding is that the W bed is the plush top mattress + featherbed. The Westin Heavenly bed is the pillowtop mattress alone.
post #13 of 39
Back in time bump.

I just purchased a Beautyrest Black Rosalyn mattress. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Everyone happy with their Beautyrests? I had a Sealy Posturepedic before this that was rather comfortable - the salesman sold me on this one. It's a mid-level Black, they were selling it for 3300, I got 'em down to 2500. How do they hold up after say, 3-4 years? Any complaints?
post #14 of 39
Thread Starter 
I've only had mine for 3 months but I love it. I'm surprised you got a black for that cheap, although I really don't think there's a difference between the black and the high-end of their regular line in terms of performance. It's just a marketing gimmick to get higher margins now that fancy mattresses are en vogue.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
Back in time bump.

I just purchased a Beautyrest Black Rosalyn mattress. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Everyone happy with their Beautyrests? I had a Sealy Posturepedic before this that was rather comfortable - the salesman sold me on this one. It's a mid-level Black, they were selling it for 3300, I got 'em down to 2500. How do they hold up after say, 3-4 years? Any complaints?

God you love to get screwed by salesmen. Zegna pants for $300, Beautyrest for $2500. Did you even price it out with 1-800-Mattres?(leave off the last "S" for savings!).

As to the longevity, any decent mattress will last you at least 10 years, flip it every 2-3 years. Mine (Stearns and Foster) last a lot less, but I'm a sexual dynamo so that attributes to their demise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › are people happy with their simmons beautyrest pillowtop?