or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › chromexcel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

chromexcel? - Page 2

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
The thing is...and make no mistake I think it is a fine leather...is that chromexel is an "oil stuffed" leather. What does that mean? Abandon all hope of a high shine...or even more than a gleam.

Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.
LL
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHorween View Post
Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.

Boy, that table demonstrates a big commitment to the love of craft. I'm envious
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHorween View Post
Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.
Nick, Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside. So I take it all back...you heard it from the source. Thanks Nick.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post
So why don't we (or at least I) see leather goods, especially shoes, from kangaroos? Is it that it doesn't finish/present as well? I'm just curious.

Kangaroo leather is used mostly in high-end football and rugby boots. Used to have a pair of Canterbury cleats when I was playing, and they were the best boots I'd ever owned... A quick clean would do the job, they wouldn't get scuffed too badly compared to my Adidas, incredibly soft.
But it isn't the prettiest leather in my opinion: very irregular, marked creasing... Probably some of the reasons why it isn't used in day-to-day shoes.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhewee View Post
Kangaroo leather is used mostly in high-end football and rugby boots. Used to have a pair of Canterbury cleats when I was playing, and they were the best boots I'd ever owned... A quick clean would do the job, they wouldn't get scuffed too badly compared to my Adidas, incredibly soft. But it isn't the prettiest leather in my opinion: very irregular, marked creasing... Probably some of the reasons why it isn't used in day-to-day shoes.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect it depends on how it is tanned and, more importantly, finished. Some kangaroo is as fine grained and clear as the best calf. It will crease no more nor less than calf in similar weights. At least, that's been my experience with what I have access to.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside.

It takes a little bit of coaxing, but that's part of the fun, right?

The color 8 chukka is shell and the brown whole cut is Chromexcel - I failed to mention!
post #22 of 50
Well alrighty then, I will be doing some future shine coaxing! I confess that I am looking forward to receiving the chromexel NST's that I have on order. Thanks Nick.
post #23 of 50
Thread Starter 
Thanks again everybody for all the information! Do chromexcel shoes need any special care? Should I treat them more like cordovan (some cleaning and not alot of polish) or more like calf (more polish)?
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true. I suspect it depends on how it is tanned and, more importantly, finished. Some kangaroo is as fine grained and clear as the best calf. It will crease no more nor less than calf in similar weights. At least, that's been my experience with what I have access to.

You're most probably right... I was talking out of experience (my @$$?).
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftar View Post
Thanks again everybody for all the information! Do chromexcel shoes need any special care? Should I treat them more like cordovan (some cleaning and not alot of polish) or more like calf (more polish)?

I don't personally own anything in the leather, but a good friend of mine just uses Renovatuer on it and buffs. It shines up nicely. Just from the feel and such if you were to use wax only a little bit would do, or else it will kind of sit on top and get smeary I would think. So I guess, yeah, more like Shell...
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHorween View Post
Chromexcel won't take a shine like shell, but it shines up pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
Nick,

Well, I'll be! That is indeed a respectable shine. The swatches you fellers have sent me over the years were all oil stuffed and did not have that hard a finish on the grainside.

So I take it all back...you heard it from the source.

Thanks Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHorween View Post
It takes a little bit of coaxing, but that's part of the fun, right?

My limited experience with Chromexcel (2 pairs of Red Wing GTs) is that is does take a shine quite well, even a mirror shine!. I covered some scuffs on my boots a while back and just for the hell of it, added a mirror shine to the top of the toebox. It was actually pretty easy to work the wax into the pores.
post #27 of 50
Bump for more info. Which product is best to use for this leather?
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Bump for more info. Which product is best to use for this leather?

Neatsfoot oil, occasionally.
post #29 of 50
post #30 of 50
A little google brings up some nasty things about neatsfoot oil, esp. about it being bad (because of its pH) for stitching. I'm not inspired to buy the stuff, much less treat my new chromoexcel Aldens with the stuff.

Patrick said he knows someone who treats it with Renovateur? Any reason not to do this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › chromexcel?