or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How long can you sit on a job offer for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long can you sit on a job offer for?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I had a job offer come up and need some advice on how to push back...


Company A offered me a job on 6/25. We negotiated & they went back to the drawing board. I finally heard back from Company A tonight (7/8 - 2 weeks later) at 5:30 pm with a locked offer & the HR lady wants me to accept or reject by tomorrow (Friday) and most likely start on Monday.

Problem is I kept my pipeline full and continued interviewing. Last week I went in for a job I REALLY want more with Company B (most likely more pay, better position, cooler company) and should find out tomorrow if I'm called back for a final interview. Additionally, I have a first interview booked with Company C on Tuesday afternoon.

  • Is it reasonable for them to ask for an answer in one day after barely hearing a peep from them for 2 weeks?
  • If so, how can I buy time without actually accepting to see how these other offers turn out?

A is a lock, but I like B more - I dont have a job now and dont want to screw up my prospect with A if B doesnt work out.
post #2 of 26
My guess is you have some flexibility. If they came back to you after two weeks and agreed to your conditions, it's likely they have no one else lined up to do the job.

That being said, you can't stall forever. If you haven't even lined up a final interview with Company B, the process on their end could take up to 2 weeks to finish, which would be too much time. Company C is not even worth considering at the moment.

In all I'd say you can delay for a day or two (propose to accept on Mon or Tues to start on Wed, or ideally the following Monday), but they won't be happy about it. I'd have a good excuse lined up, such as a marriage out of town.
post #3 of 26
^^ Congrats, you're in high demand. If you're getting called for so many interviews and you feel you would be happier somewhere else I would go for company B/C (depending on if B calls back and if you accept). It really sounds like you're in the drivers seat.
post #4 of 26
Accept offer from company A. Wait till you receive reply from company B this weekend. If Company B say yes at the pay and position you expect phone company A at once and tell them you are no longer able to start with them on Monday due to personal circumstances. Forget about company C.
post #5 of 26
^^ Doing this would burn his bridges with Company A.

It might be worth it, but it's a risk that needs taking into account.
post #6 of 26
Final interview at company B does not mean JOB at company B. It's really on you...accept company A's offer and ask them if you can start 1 week later due to personal issues(or make something up.)
If the 2nd interview goes well with company B and you get an offer in a week, then you are set. BUT, you will have to blow off company A.
OR.....if you can stall making the decision with company A for a week and do everything above, you will not have committed and no harm no foul. Jobs are hard to get. Working somewhere you really like is KEY! It does seem as if someone will get "burned"-company A or you(if you don't get the offer from company B!)
post #7 of 26
You are right I should have read the question properly. I would suggest your second alternative of working for company A until company B offers him a job. If this is a small town and/or a tightly knit industry as holymadness say this may not be possible. I think your last line is right someone looses here, but jobs are hard to find these days.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post
I had a job offer come up and need some advice on how to push back...


Company A offered me a job on 6/25. We negotiated & they went back to the drawing board. I finally heard back from Company A tonight (7/8 - 2 weeks later) at 5:30 pm with a locked offer & the HR lady wants me to accept or reject by tomorrow (Friday) and most likely start on Monday.

Problem is I kept my pipeline full and continued interviewing. Last week I went in for a job I REALLY want more with Company B (most likely more pay, better position, cooler company) and should find out tomorrow if I'm called back for a final interview. Additionally, I have a first interview booked with Company C on Tuesday afternoon.

  • Is it reasonable for them to ask for an answer in one day after barely hearing a peep from them for 2 weeks?
  • If so, how can I buy time without actually accepting to see how these other offers turn out?

A is a lock, but I like B more - I dont have a job now and dont want to screw up my prospect with A if B doesnt work out.

I had a very similar situation. I sat on the job offer from Company A for a month while Company B said they wanted me but had HR "issues" before they could make a formal offer. I ended up at Company B. But the difference was, I sat on my offer from Company A for about a week then told the hiring manager why I was sitting on it - because I was waiting for Company B's offer. The manager didn't mind about my sitting on it because she knew me well and had other qualified candidates as a back up plan.

Take Company A offer, keep interviewing, get another offer from the job you REALLY want and take that job.
post #9 of 26
,,,,
post #10 of 26
What's your current employment situation? I ask because it's odd that Company A would expect you to start immediately on Monday.

Taking a few days to consider an offer is not unreasonable. That said, if you're in urgent need of new employment I'd be careful not to take any action that would jeopardize the offer from A. In that case, if pushed I'd take A's offer...if something better comes up from B, then you have an uncomfortable talk with A ahead of you. It's just business.
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post
What's your current employment situation? I ask because it's odd that Company A would expect you to start immediately on Monday. Taking a few days to consider an offer is not unreasonable. That said, if you're in urgent need of new employment I'd be careful not to take any action that would jeopardize the offer from A. In that case, if pushed I'd take A's offer...if something better comes up from B, then you have an uncomfortable talk with A ahead of you. It's just business.
Im currently unemplyed (hence the 24/7 trolling of SF), so they know Im free. But Im not really so strapped that I need cash now. I certainly dont want them to retract the offer, but IMO this should be considered a new offer, where I should take a few days - but I also see why not. Im kinda surprised so many said to take it now and tell them to eff off later I will wait til the end of day today to see if company B calls me back (as expected). If so, Ill try to schedule something for Monday, tell company A Im outta town or something (Any good excuses?) and hopefully they can make a decision early next week. If no call back today, then off to work Monday morning for Company A. Thanks all.
post #12 of 26
My suggestion is when you get an offer, ask for a decision date (+ title, compensation, location, never assume anything).

And then counter with your suggestion if it's not feasible. I always say I need 4 weeks to transition and resign from my current job. More time if you're going to be relocating as part of it.

If they say, "Sorry, we need you right away and that's non-negotiable" you have to wonder about the termination procedures there, the quality of the people and how they have (or have not) survived so long with the vacancy.

It always helps to stop worrying about the opportunity until you get an offer so you avoid "holding out" for offers that are never going to materialize anyway. Until you have something, you have nothing.
post #13 of 26
Based on your scenario, I would guess you were Company A's second choice. After you turned down the initial offer, they made someone else an offer and something happened to that candidate. Now they really want the spot filled, hence their heat on you to start ASAP. Could be wrong, but that's my read.

Advice: tell them you need a couple more days as you kept interviewing due to not hearing back from them for two weeks. See if they up their offer.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidko19 View Post

Im kinda surprised so many said to take it now and tell them to eff off later


HR people have to reap what they sow here. Most of us have had the experience of being told that an offer was forthcoming by a certain date, only to have it take much longer (and sometimes not come at all), accompanied by all sorts of excuses.

You have to do what's best for you. If you need a job, and they're making you decide right away, then take it. If two weeks in company B steps up with a better offer, then you suck it up, explain the situation to A, and move on.

Most any company would lay you off the minute it becomes beneficial for them to do so. Don't hesitate to treat them the same way. Note - this doesn't mean you shouldn't act like a professional on your way out. Like I said, it's just business.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
My suggestion is when you get an offer, ask for a decision date (+ title, compensation, location, never assume anything).
They clearly expressed the decision date was today. In the offer it listed title, pay, bonus structure, everything... So its pretty firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Based on your scenario, I would guess you were Company A's second choice. After you turned down the initial offer, they made someone else an offer and something happened to that candidate. Now they really want the spot filled, hence their heat on you to start ASAP. Could be wrong, but that's my read. Advice: tell them you need a couple more days as you kept interviewing due to not hearing back from them for two weeks. See if they up their offer.
Thanks for the ego boost July 4th holiday was there and they had to go back to find more money for me, so I think that explains the delay. Maybe not. Eh, whatever. You think its wise to be completely honest and say I need a few more days before I can start because I kept interviewing and want to see how that pans out?? Dont you think that would piss em off? I doubt they will up the offer and I dont want to play with fire and come away with nothing. Seems pretty risky, IMO. (Note: this is a tiny family company - not some big shot legal firm or F1000 company)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › How long can you sit on a job offer for?