• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolling, stacking, hemming

as_

Reaction score
When your pants are too long and start stacking, what do you do?

The answer is pretty straightforward to some types of pants - suit pants and trousers in particular should have a clean break. Suit pants with eight stacks just makes you look like a douchebag.

But when it comes to jeans and more casual pants, the rules seem to be a little less unequivocal. I tend to roll my pants, and I see photos of them rolled around SF; conversely, I see just as many photos with them stacked. I feel like body build and height has as much to do with it as anything.

Thoughts? What pants do you roll, what do you let stack, and what do you hem?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as_
When your pants are too long and start stacking, what do you do?

The answer is pretty straightforward to some types of pants - suit pants and trousers in particular should have a clean break. Suit pants with eight stacks just makes you look like a douchebag.

But when it comes to jeans and more casual pants, the rules seem to be a little less unequivocal. I tend to roll my pants, and I see photos of them rolled around SF; conversely, I see just as many photos with them stacked. I feel like body build and height has as much to do with it as anything.

Thoughts? What pants do you roll, what do you let stack, and what do you hem?

I'm still pretty new at this, but for me it depends on the shoe. With low cut, low profile shoes I roll my jeans, while with higher cut stuff I let them stack.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
i stack denim occasionally and hem almost everything else i think this all depends on how you want to look. there aren't really any rules other than trying to have little to no break in your trousers. everything else is preference.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the hem is wider than like 7.5" then they look sloppy when stacked imo, so i hem them, but if they are 7.5" or narrower, then i just let them stack on my shoes.

i've tried cuffing and rolling jeans, and while i've seen people pull it off pretty well (like jkissi) i dont really like it on me very much, so i dont bother with it.

BlueWord

Reaction score
Hem or cuff. Stacking looks like total ****, in my opinion.

Fortunately, I'm a 34 inseam, so I don't have to hassle with it too much.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a fan of cuffing denim, but I'm a fan of the trouser/pant roll during the spring or summer. You'll get some comments depending on where you live, but it's a neat look and functional in warm weather.

alleyooptroop

Reaction score
all depends on the cut. slim (april 77, dior 19cm) = stack. repro (sugarcane 47, lvc) = hem or roll

here's how i wear my sc47's:
bbe43bdd.jpg

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Whatever looks right to you, based on the cut, and your image and personality. The only one I never do is roll, which generally doesn't look right to me.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i personally only hem or cuff

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to cuff but then I only saw women age 30-40 doing it so I got my jeans hemmed but thinking of getting a pair to stack because it seems kinda neat.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My jeans are never standard, *****
Your glances don't affect me

I'm fresh, Im fly, my stacking so damn high
More than 500 pancakes when I roll by
I'm calm, I'm cool, my jeans so new
I never stack alone, you can check the whole damn crew

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very timely thread for me.

I just bought a pair of Naked and Famous jeans, and since the inseam on 'em is 34, I'm really considering hemming. I usually wear jeans with an inseam of 30, and four inches is a lot... I'm not really sure stacking is my thing, either. But I'm not convinced either way yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads