or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Ill-designed things that are pissing you off
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ill-designed things that are pissing you off - Page 4

post #46 of 93
Fucking magnets.

how do they work?
post #47 of 93
Fuckin' miracles
post #48 of 93
I've never turned my phone off or even to airplane mode.... just let it sit in my pocket. It doesn't affect anything. The law was passed before we had a strong grip on telecommunications and the effect of being inside the tube of metal. At least that's what I was always told. I flew about 75 times in the last year - no issues.

Can openers are stupidly easy to break. Pisses me off...
post #49 of 93
Children's fishing poles. When did they turn to such pieces of shit. I have tried Zebco and Shakespeare for closed reel casting combos for my nephew and cousin and both have fallen apart after about the 3rd trip to the lake or get all tangled to fuck on the inside with regular use.
When I was a kid, that shit would last. These arent even the shitty like Spiderman poles or anything, its the "big kid" style pole that is a few feet long.
post #50 of 93
Most wall anchors I have ever tried. 75% of them have destroyed a chunk of my wall, erased my patience, and emptied my wallet to buy supplies and paint to fix the stupid ass hole.
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
Most wall anchors I have ever tried. 75% of them have destroyed a chunk of my wall, erased my patience, and emptied my wallet to buy supplies and paint to fix the stupid ass hole.

I had very good luck with Wall Dogs.
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
I had very good luck with Wall Dogs.

noted, thank you.
post #53 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
I have to fly twice a week for work.

For the last 4 years.

I was not aware that SF posting had such a travel commitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
I've never turned my phone off or even to airplane mode.... just let it sit in my pocket. It doesn't affect anything. The law was passed before we had a strong grip on telecommunications and the effect of being inside the tube of metal. At least that's what I was always told. I flew about 75 times in the last year - no issues.

Actually the no-phone rule is an FCC rule and not the FAA. The FAA wants everything off during takeoff (mostly because they want people paying attention and able to move quickly since most crashes occur at takeoff/landing...not because they might interfere). The reason they don't want you to have your phone turned on on a plane is that it puts a hell of a lot of stress on the mobile phone infrastructure. The towers have directional antennas that are angled down at the ground (you know...where people are), it takes a lot more tower resources to provide a connection to a phone that is flying in the sky. Also, towers were designed to make infrequent handoffs, but when you are going 500mph, they have to make handoffs every few seconds which puts a lot of strain on the network.
post #54 of 93
Who designed and perpetrates the design of shopping carts? People realized a while ago that maneuvering wheeled vehicles is easier by pulling than pushing, yet despite the advice of the axiom designers continue to put the cart before the horse. The result is rickety squealing carts confounding housewives trying to steer between the potato chips and canned soup.
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJew View Post
Fucking magnets.

how do they work?

Interesting stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Who designed and perpetrates the design of shopping carts? People realized a while ago that maneuvering wheeled vehicles is easier by pulling than pushing, yet despite the advice of the axiom designers continue to put the cart before the horse. The result is rickety squealing carts confounding housewives trying to steer between the potato chips and canned soup.
I'm picturing obese women strapped in harnesses pulling their shopping carts through neon lighted aisles. It is not pretty.
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Who designed and perpetrates the design of shopping carts? People realized a while ago that maneuvering wheeled vehicles is easier by pulling than pushing, yet despite the advice of the axiom designers continue to put the cart before the horse. The result is rickety squealing carts confounding housewives trying to steer between the potato chips and canned soup.

I think the current design is dictated by users wanting to be able to see the items they've selected in front of them.
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaquiran View Post
I think the current design is dictated by users wanting to be able to see the items they've selected in front of them.

Well that, and what about not having to toss the shit you want to buy behind your back hoping it lands behind you safety in your cart???
post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
The duty frees do not have such wonderous elixirs; I keep the chartreuse bottles in my check-in luggage.

One has to make do with Dewar's White Label or indifferent champagnes like Veuve Clicquot at the duty frees.

VCP vintage 2002 is pretty good stuff, not in the same league as the bottom rung yellow label NV swill.
post #60 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoung05 View Post
Well that, and what about not having to toss the shit you want to buy behind your back hoping it lands behind you safety in your cart???

Do you run along the aisles funneling foodstuffs into your cart? This isn't supermarket sweep. Were I to use one, I'd have no problem stopping my cart, picking up a bag of beans, and dropping it into my cart. I know, I know, it sounds like pretense, but trust me -- I'm really that skilled in real life.

The rearward force problem isn't just applicable to shopping carts. Those scooter things at home improvement stores are possibly the grossest spawning of this inbred design.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Ill-designed things that are pissing you off