or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) - Page 120

post #1786 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

I like the jodhpur a lot. I always wanted a pair in British tan. But chose a whole cut chelsea for my current ankle boots--just for the challenge of the blocking.

/quote]

Pictures.....plz....!

post #1787 of 2609
That jodhpurs boots definitely shows the cowboy boot making heritage of dwfii with the heel contour and Cuban heels.
post #1788 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

That jodhpurs boots definitely shows the cowboy boot making heritage of dwfii with the heel contour and Cuban heels.

Well, not really. The heel contour on a dress wellington (cowboy boot) would be nearly straight. In fact, my boots exhibit more shoemaking influence in that regard as I try very hard to add as much curvature to the heel stiffener as I can get away with and still allow the customer to get into the boots. No other bootmaker I know (unless I trained them) does that.

As for the cuban/military heel---it's not really cowboy either. It simply comes from an earlier era when the distinctions between boots and shoes weren't so fixed in people's minds...certainly not in the mind of the maker. And "cowboy boots" almost always have straight sided heels, albeit...depending on heel height...deeply undercut.

These kind of fashions come and go, not limited to men's or womens or boots or shoes. Who knows? maybe just seeing this pair of shoes will inspire a new wave of concave heels on SF.

peepwall[1].gif
post #1789 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

sinnedk once again displays his poor taste and inability to comprehend anything beyond current SF groupthink.

Every village has one.
post #1790 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Well, not really. The heel contour on a dress wellington (cowboy boot) would be nearly straight. In fact, my boots exhibit more shoemaking influence in that regard as I try very hard to add as much curvature to the heel stiffener as I can get away with and still allow the customer to get into the boots. No other bootmaker I know (unless I trained them) does that.

As for the cuban/military heel---it's not really cowboy either. It simply comes from an earlier era when the distinctions between boots and shoes weren't so fixed in people's minds...certainly not in the mind of the maker. And "cowboy boots" almost always have straight sided heels, albeit...depending on heel height...deeply undercut.

These kind of fashions come and go, not limited to men's or womens or boots or shoes. Who knows? maybe just seeing this pair of shoes will inspire a new wave of concave heels on SF.

peepwall[1].gif

You are most probably right. And I like those boots.

That being said, concave boot heels probably requires a bespoke order. At least for me will sit at the very back of my project queue. Maybe one of these days I need to drive to OR and pay the makers there a visit!!
post #1791 of 2609
Concave heels/cuban heels are incredibly nice and you are starting to see this more often in bespoke. Saion and Fukaya also have a couple that are nice. I find them particularly appropriate for visible heel heights higher than 1.25". I wouldn't dream of not using them on my own shoes
post #1792 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

I find them particularly appropriate for visible heel heights higher than 1.25". I wouldn't dream of not using them on my own shoes

Is that you, Monsieur Sarkosy? biggrin.gif
post #1793 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


 

worship.giflookaround.gifdrool.gif

post #1794 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


hardcore shoe porn money shot!

post #1795 of 2609
DWF-I had a question about the history of toe shape. When did different toe shapes start developing and what did they signify. I really dislike the square toe and chiseled toe look, and much prefer the rounded, more American and British shapes. How did shoemakers originally choose a toe shape for a client and what would it mean?
post #1796 of 2609
Shoooot. Toe shapes have been around for a very long time. Top makers have offered many different toe shapes since at least the 1800's.

This 1891 scan from a WL Douglas catalog shows 8 variations of the square toe alone. They also had similar variations for a sleeker/ rounded toe and more variations of triangular/pointed (spade) toed shoes. In this catalog alone, WL Douglas offered that same boot in the picture in over 30 toe shape variations.

T2eC16hygE9s7HLd7bBRWOJd2inQ60_57_zpsf4d465de.jpg

On a side note, look at that wonderful waist and sole treatment. That would be considered top-notch today.
post #1797 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

In this catalog alone, WL Douglas offered that same boot in the picture in over 30 toe shape variations.

That is crazy stuff eek.gif
post #1798 of 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Toe shapes have been around for a very long time. Top makers have offered many different toe shapes since at least the 1800's.

Different toe shapes have been around since the year dot (or at least as long as shoemakers could manipulate the toes in order to reflect the fashion of the time).

In the high middle-ages, toes were long and longer still.
(The higher your social standing, the longer the toe.)

post #1799 of 2609
isshinryu101, would you be willing to share more scans of shown catalog?
Looks very interesting!
post #1800 of 2609
muhaha


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only)