or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should you let your wife or girlfriend buy your clothes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should you let your wife or girlfriend buy your clothes? - Page 7

post #91 of 133
Never, under any circumstance is my wife (or any woman) allowed to buy clothes, shoes, accessories, etc for me! NEVER!!

First of all, many woman like to "match" colors when buying ( the tie must match the suit, or shirt or shoes etc). Too many women don't know how to work with contrast or complimentary colors when it comes to menswear, don't even mention patterns.

IMO, it's a sad state of affairs when I see a grown ass man letting his wife or gf pick out his clothes.
post #92 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinnier View Post
Never, under any circumstance is my wife (or any woman) allowed to buy clothes, shoes, accessories, etc for me! NEVER!!

First of all, many woman like to "match" colors when buying ( the tie must match the suit, or shirt or shoes etc). Too many women don't know how to work with contrast or complimentary colors when it comes to menswear, don't even mention patterns.

IMO, it's a sad state of affairs when I see a grown ass man letting his wife or gf pick out his clothes.

+100
post #93 of 133
I never let my gf buy for me by herself, but we go shopping together a lot and I will ask for her opinion...though I don't always listen to it. However, she does sometimes buy me things that I pick out...win/win in my book.
post #94 of 133
My wife knows better. She also knows that I buy too much clothes already and it's the last thing I need.
post #95 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
Recently some friends admired my tie collection, and admitted that it comprised great-looking ties, but then they suddently laughed out loud at the look of one tie and asked me if I actually dared to wear it.
Interestingly, that was the only tie that my wife ever chose for me (as a birthday gift).
Even more interestingly, I actually like it. It is a light green one by Ferragamo, with some flowers in their respective pots. I do not find it loud. But maybe that is just out of respect for my wife.

pictures!
post #96 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
Recently some friends admired my tie collection, and admitted that it comprised great-looking ties, but then they suddently laughed out loud at the look of one tie and asked me if I actually dared to wear it.
Interestingly, that was the only tie that my wife ever chose for me (as a birthday gift).
Even more interestingly, I actually like it. It is a light green one by Ferragamo, with some flowers in their respective pots. I do not find it loud. But maybe that is just out of respect for my wife.
I have a similar "problem". If they weren't gifts from my wife, those ties would be the first in my collection to go on eBay or to St Vinnies.

Oh, and:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=227445
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post
I have a similar "problem". If they weren't gifts from my wife, those ties would be the first in my collection to go on eBay or to St Vinnies.

Oh, and:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=227445

A well meaning girlfriend got me an expensive Red Sox hat. I wore it a bit not to be rude, but I don't now. MLB is basically a fashion brand in Korea, so I don't think she understands why endorsing some team you don't give a damn about could result in some really awkward conversations. Knitted me a scarf for Christmas 2009 though. I love that damn thing and wear it constantly.
post #98 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltricks View Post
Also my girlfriend keeps saying I should buy clothes I like and stop getting clothes that fit the rules of "that stupid forum". I guess she thinks I buy clothes just to fit in with you guys.

But I'm not doing that...right? Right guys? RIGHT?

*goes off in tears to buy SF approved clothes*

This is indicative that your clothes do not look good. If your clothes made you look great, she would be saying, "Thank goodness for your e-friends, they're so dapper!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
...
Why is it women have no idea or care about what material is used in garments? To this day i have to tell my wife, sisters, mother what to look for. My mother in law thinks i am too picky but she likes cheap clothes!

Yeah, I can say that I talk about style with both guys and girls, neither of which are in the industry, and the non-fashion oriented guys bring up the material make-up of the clothing way more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnSOS View Post
For the enlightened man: Yes, but in stages.

It "connects" her, makes her feel trusted, and that her opinion is valid and valuable. And its fun! Start small with low-impact purchases, ties and shirts. Some casual shoes.

Let some time pass to get a sense of if her choices and direction for you is really appropriate for your major purchases.

For a man who could care less and it shows: Definitely. Immediately. This weekend.

+1. I think this is probably the best response on this thread.
post #99 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace View Post
My wife knows better. She also knows that I buy too much clothes already and it's the last thing I need.

Does she apply that rule to herself?
post #100 of 133
My wife has, over the 10 years we've been together, bought me about two v-neck jumpers in powder blue and fuschia which I do wear on occasion. I think she might have bought me a couple of pairs of cufflinks as well but that's probably the extent of it.

She generally doesn't bother buying me things because she knows I'm picky and doesn't come shopping with me because I'm incredibly circumspect about buying things and insist on going around every shop before making a purchase just in case they've got something better, which drives her crazy.

As for her family, her mother buys pretty much all the clother for her father and her brother (who's 25). The result is that if you can't buy it from John Lewis or Marks & Spencer then you won't find it in their wardrobes. They're not so much under the thumb as they don't really care.
post #101 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
in whatever you do..do it with confidence.

if you let your wife or gf buy your clothes. let her do it..with confidence in yourself.

if you let your wife or gf not buy your clothes. do it with confidence in yourself.

Good post.

In general, I like to get my own stuff because I know what I like/don't like. It also depends on the woman I'm dating, if she understands what I like. But in general I like shopping for myself on my own.

This can be taken too far. If something is received as a gift, even if I don't like it I do feel obligated to wear it once in a while, unless it is really out there. I'd at least wear it around the house.
post #102 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson McCord View Post
I just got a pair of suede desert boots and she about gagged.


Well, I have the opposite problem (I'm a woman), I love suede desert boots (always have) and chukka boots and definitely think that they are the best boots, by far, to be worn by men with jeans (I'd wear them myself, if I were male).

However, my partner simply won't wear anything but Doc Martens.

Not that I hate Doc Martens, you understand and I totally appreciate that it is, ultimately, his decision to make, as he's the one who has to wear them.

To be fair, we have also compromised, somewhat, in that he now (very happily!) wears brown nubuck DMs, rather than the shiny black leather ones he did when we first met; but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that he won't, at least, give the desert/chukka boots a try?

Much as I like clothes and accessories, in general, I'd really rather not have to 'help' him shop, at all, either - especially as he has such narrow parameters regarding the things that are acceptable to him.*

I pretty much have to, though, as he simply won't buy anything (except, perhaps, for the occasional, single, pair of Levi 501s and socks), otherwise.

If I don't shop for him, he just wanders around the house, for months, making the odd pitiful comment about not having any jeans, or needing some more T-Shirts, or boots, or whatever, until I finally give-in.

Then, when I do shop for him (normally online), if I dare to ask his opinion about something I've found, he will often act as though I am hassling him unnecessarily (even though the item is for him! ). Then, when the stuff finally arrives, he often objects when I remind him that he needs to try it on, to make sure it fits.

I do end up feeling like I'm his mother and believe me, that's the last thing I want to be.

So, you see everyone(?), it's often not easy for us girls, either.


* For a man who professes to have absolutely no interest in clothing, or fashion, he is remarkably fussy in his own way. The Doc Marten thing is the tip of the iceberg, I can assure you!
post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
in whatever you do..do it with confidence.

if you let your wife or gf buy your clothes. let her do it..with confidence in yourself.

if you let your wife or gf not buy your clothes. do it with confidence in yourself.

dont ask us should you do it or not. we dont know your case situation and dynamics of your life and relationship.

dum

+100

Good one!!!!

You look for this yourself, don't call us to your rescue because I will not come.

Sho'nuff go ahead and tell him.
post #104 of 133
As far as I am concerned, my girl friend do buy those stuffs for me, and it is not about whether i want her to or not because I guess that wouldn't matter either, because she buys em because she likes em and wants me to wear em and that's it end of argument.
post #105 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeh View Post
...
I do end up feeling like I'm his mother and believe me, that's the last thing I want to be.

So, you see everyone(?), it's often not easy for us girls, either.


Before I got to that line I was thinking in my head, "Sounds like dealing with a kid.."

Thank you for posting, chloe. A female perspective does a forum good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should you let your wife or girlfriend buy your clothes?