or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Why no girls here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why no girls here? - Page 4

post #46 of 211
Hi spb_lady
post #47 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

Another vote of support for this sentiment. The misogyny that permeates this board is always bothersome, but it's somehow made worse when people direct it at what may be an earnest poster. It reminds me of that thread with the woman who was talking about her husband's 'Vette.
post #48 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.
post #49 of 211


+1 to what manton said.
post #50 of 211
Welcome. In answer to your question:
post #51 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Guys, before we all act like total idiots and chase this person away, can we please give it a couple of days? She seems genuine and at this point deserves A) the benefit of the doubt and B) better treatment than she is getting.

Sometimes I am reminded of the Little Rascals "He-Man Woman-Haters Club."

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDC2823 View Post
Seriously. It's pretty pathetic how this happens every single time and it really isn't funny.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.

-1
post #52 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post



this forum is like GQGeek's life, no girls! (said in Yakov Smirnoff voice)
post #53 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Another vote of support for this sentiment. The misogyny that permeates this board is always bothersome, but it's somehow made worse when people direct it at what may be an earnest poster. It reminds me of that thread with the woman who was talking about her husband's 'Vette.

Oh, the 'vette thread was bothersome on a number of levels, but I think she provoked some indignation with a few of her comments that seemed pretty dumb to me. That Op was not entirely blameless in the conflagration that followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.

You have a point there, I think sometimes we let loose with things online that we would never say IRL - I certainly do that once in a while. But sometimes the collective SF greeting to women of "poke it with a stick" resembles that of grade schoolers when presented with an alien life-form.
post #54 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
this forum is like GQGeek's life, no girls! (said in Yakov Smirnoff voice)
Women love me. Just not always the right ones.
post #55 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
You have a point there, I think sometimes we let loose with things online that we would never say IRL - I certainly do that once in a while. But sometimes the collective SF greeting to women of "poke it with a stick" resembles that of grade schoolers when presented with an alien life-form.

The only difference between my opinion and yours on this is that I am being a pessimist ("we aren't going to be able to change our behavior so let's just get on with the inevitable and not put on airs") and you are an optimist ("how hard can it be to just act respectfully towards a woman? - we can do it").

Then again, I don't know if the issue is discrimination or that we are just a generally rude and hazing bunch - for men and women. I do agree that women are a much easier target on this forum though.
post #56 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Oh, the 'vette thread was bothersome on a number of levels, but I think she provoked some indignation with a few of her comments that seemed pretty dumb to me. That Op was not entirely blameless in the conflagration that followed.

I agree, but that somehow made it exponentially worse. Usually it's just the standard abuse, but her provocation inspired everyone to kick it up a notch. That was one of the worst examples of SF misbehavior I can remember.

But, yeah, she egged it on for sure, and it was like throwing gasoline on an already-lit fire.
post #57 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Guys, before we all act like total idiots and chase this person away, can we please give it a couple of days? She seems genuine and at this point deserves A) the benefit of the doubt and B) better treatment than she is getting.

Sometimes I am reminded of the Little Rascals "He-Man Woman-Haters Club."

I love you, man, but for someone who's been on a message board as long as you have, you should be well aware of how the entrance of an (alleged) female into the community usually goes.

1) Girl shows up.
2) 50% of the guys fawn all over her.
3) 50% of the guys think it's a trap and troll the thread.
4) 95% of the time, girl eventually reveals herself as, or is revealed unintentionally, as a dude.
5) Rinse and repeat.

Call me cynical if you will. But I've been on the internet -- and, in particular, in some male-dominated internet communities -- long enough to know how this scenario almost always plays itself out.
post #58 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
The only difference between my opinion and yours on this is that I am being a pessimist ("we aren't going to be able to change our behavior so let's just get on with the inevitable and not put on airs") and you are an optimist ("how hard can it be to just act respectfully towards a woman? - we can do it").

Then again, I don't know if the issue is discrimination or that we are just a generally rude and hazing bunch - for men and women. I do agree that women are a much easier target on this forum though.

Hmm, interesting way to look at it (is it THAT obvious I voted for Obama?), and the discrimination/equality question is one I don't think we'll ever be able to answer.

I suspect that the married/experienced among us are the more even-handed in doling out the abuse between men and women members, but that's just my own suspicion. Then again, I don't see tagut, Conne, or Neo jumping in on threads like these, either, so that suspicion doesn't really hold water too well.
post #59 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.

This.

In my experience, the dudes who fall all over themselves to be polite to internet-"women" are usually the ones with comparatively little experience with real-life women.

I'm not hard-up for female affections. I don't consider women some sort of special, magical breed of human beings whose attention and positive esteem I am desperate to receive. When an internet-woman shows up and posts pictures of "her"self right off the bat, it sets off quite a few red flags. I'll make no apology about that.

If this person really is a girl, then great. No big deal, IMO, nor should it be. This threak is pure comedy, though.
post #60 of 211
This thread went from interest in clothing to why this forum has no chicks... Pitiful.

No wonder women don't post here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Why no girls here?