• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Says Drape Can't Equal Shape?

The Doctor

Reaction score
I feel that there seems to be a misconception amongst a lot of people that the soft shouldered draped style of tailoring often produces a sloppy, baggy jacket with very little shape but as you can see of the two examples of the Steed silhouette, we are able to provide as much shape and "snap" as required.

Brent+Bellm+Brisa.jpg
Brent+3.jpg

A key feature of our cut is the high, smaller armhole which provides us with a longer line, with the added benefit of freedom of movement and comfort whilst not compromising the overall fit of the jacket.

This is illustrated in the picture below of one of our customers David Nossiter, whilst he is leaning from the Bus on his wedding day. (Notice how the jacket stays gripped to his neck)

David+Nossiter+Bus.jpg

Although our house style is of a softer shoulder, we do have some clients that prefer somewhere in between the more structured style of houses such as Kilgour and Huntsmans and the softer style of ours. An example of this would be Voxsartoria (Vox) who some of you know and posts on here regularly.

Edwin DeBoise

Steed Bespoke Tailors

www.steeds-view.blogspot.com

www.steed.co.uk

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Although our house style is of a softer shoulder, we do have some clients that prefer somewhere in between the more structured style of houses such as Kilgour and Huntsmans and the softer style of ours. An example of this would be Voxsartoria (Vox) who some of you know and posts on here regularly.

peepwall[1].gif

- B

Usul

Reaction score
The man is a Drape Ape, no doubt about it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We Drapists are persistent and resolute creatures.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Drape with padding makes baby Jesus cry.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Drape with padding makes baby Jesus cry.
Jesus was a Drapist.
white-jesus.jpg
So was Buddha.
Cataloguenumber10.jpg
And Vishnu.
vishnu.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mafoo, I always knew you were an antisemite! (despite marrying a jewess)

Where's Moses in all this? Moses was one hell of a drapist, alright

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Jesus was a Drapist.

white-jesus.jpg

So was Buddha.

Cataloguenumber10.jpg

And Vishnu.

vishnu.jpg

This is all well and good but tell us who their tailors were!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
This is all well and good but tell us who their tailors were!

Duh. Rubinacci.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can tell you who wasn't a drapist...the great bespoke tailor Recep Cesur.

As for the early 1960s Florentine tailor, Mario Zuccala, well...see for yourself.

A good source, BTW, of undraped, structured tailoring these days is Mens Wearhouse. I guarantee it.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Duh. Rubinacci.

Actually, I believe that is their slogan.

Also: nice job summoning tepdoc.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Actually, I believe that is their slogan.

Also: nice job summoning tepdoc.

- B

Can someone pls summarize / or provide a link to tepdoc's tirade against LH. People always refer to this, and I feel lost as I haven't read the post. I wanna hang with the cool kids too!

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the early 1960s Florentine tailor, Mario Zuccala, well...see for yourself.

- B

I believe a similar fate happened to Darren Beammeupman...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can someone pls summarize / or provide a link to tepdoc's tirade against LH. People always refer to this, and I feel lost as I haven't read the post. I wanna hang with the cool kids too!

They weren't posted here, but off on the Island of the Banned.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
mafoo, I always knew you were an antisemite! (despite marrying a jewess) Where's Moses in all this? Moses was one hell of a drapist, alright
Moses is not of an equivalent status within Judaism, as compared to Jesus, Buddha, or Vishnu within their respective religions. The Jewish god would be much closer, but he doesn't have a physical form or manifestation. However, you are right: Yahweh (is that the proper term?) is nonetheless also a Drapist.
I'm not sure anyone really knows why he is so negative on Rubinacci, but the negativity appears to have developed shortly after Rubinacci spread beyond Iammatt on the forums and Tep visited Rubinacci (in London, I believe). He has never explicitly revealed why his experience was so disillusioning, but he has frequently alluded to Mariano's smile, the fanciness of the Rubinacci shops, the presence at the Carlyle, Arab oil money, and Persian carpet dealers. I'm not sure what the connection is between those things, but I think the point is that he believes it's self-explanatory.
They weren't posted here, but off on the Island of the Banned.
And London Lounge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads