Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Globe, you seem to be implying that using a gun for self defence entails some kind of Delta Force tactical showcase. In order to deter a mugger, you don't need to be able to rappel from a Blackhawk and clear a wharehouse in pitch darkness.
EA, let me tie this in with what mute, D, and huntsman said
1. I don't think that you need to be able to rappel to use a firearm I think that the ability to store a firearm safly, draw it under pressure, and use it under pressure, while achieving what you would like to do, without hitting any unwanted targets, is a lot harder than most people think.
2. after having this discussion a number of times on SF, I would say that people like D and Kai who take things seriously, are certainly at a level that I admire in terms of training and safty.
3. I believe that most people would be better served in trusting at less than lethal weapons for their defence, not because I care about the lives of bad guys, but because they are easier to train with, they are safer to carry, and they force you to know how to use them.
4. I believe that it comes down to risk assesment - if you are in serious risk of being held up by pistol bearing assailants, I am not sure that you are going to be able to use a handgun to influence events in your favor. if you are most likly to run into a large mean unarmed guy, then you probrably don't want to shoot him, anyway.
5. what ever you want to say, there are a lot of people getting killed and maimed by gun mistakes. just as importantly, most people who get killed by criminals are falling victem to guns that were stolen from people who didn't keep them securely.