or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Attn VC/PE Pros in NYC & Boston
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Attn VC/PE Pros in NYC & Boston

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I work in Venture Capital in Upstate NY but I'm contemplating a move to either Boston or NYC. I'd like to stay in the field (or perhaps an adjacent one- I-Banking in M&A or LBO) but I am not up to date on appropriate interview attire in the big city Private Equity world. I know I'll be safe in a navy or charcoal suite, white shirt, simple tie and black shoes but I'd like to make it clear that I can dress the part. French cuffs? Contrasting collars?

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help.


D
post #2 of 13
Never contrasting colors for an interview. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY navy or charcoal suit with a white or blue shirt will serve you well. Brown shoes can add some nice but not flashy spice to the outfit. If you get the job, you'll most likely spend your days in the office amongst people in khaki's and button downs anyway
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Never contrasting colors for an interview. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY navy or charcoal suit with a white or blue shirt will serve you well. Brown shoes can add some nice but not flashy spice to the outfit. If you get the job, you'll most likely spend your days in the office amongst people in khaki's and button downs anyway

Ditto

Except that I would stay away from brown shoes for an interview. There are some overly conservative people out there who think that brown shoes are not appropriate in finance... (I know I work with some of them...)
post #4 of 13
Black shoes and a solid shirt with barrel cuffs.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY

Actually, my group specializes in funding agricultural startups. There aren't that many farms in Albany. I probably should have said central NY but in relation to the city, Albany is upstate.

Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field? As much as I value everyone's opinion, I have seen threads on this board where a member attempted to reach out to professionals in a very specific vertical and advice was proffered by folks in completely different fields.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Never contrasting colors for an interview. I didn't even know there was anything but farms in upstate NY navy or charcoal suit with a white or blue shirt will serve you well. Brown shoes can add some nice but not flashy spice to the outfit. If you get the job, you'll most likely spend your days in the office amongst people in khaki's and button downs anyway
We used to say the same thing about Palo Alto...
post #7 of 13
Just go the ultra conservative route. At my fund, as long as you aren't wearing something wild, the last thing anyone will care about are your clothes. That being said, though, there may be enough people interviewing for a slot that the interviewers are looking for anything to eliminate candidates. You wouldn't think brown shoes or contrasting collars would matter, but you never know....
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Good advise AAA. There's no point hurting my chances because the interviewer has a thing about brown shoes. I'll probably go with either a solid navy or charcoal pinstripe suit, white shirt and tie with stripes. I hope AE Sanfords are appropriate. Thanks.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShareef
Good advise AAA. There's no point hurting my chances because the interviewer has a thing about brown shoes. I'll probably go with either a solid navy or charcoal pinstripe suit, white shirt and tie with stripes. I hope AE Sanfords are appropriate. Thanks.

Take the solid navy over pinstripe for conservatism. Stripes, keep it toned down and nothing too bright and you'll be fine.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShareef
Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field?
Yes
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShareef
Thanks for the advice. Are you guys in the field?


I play right field.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
I play right field.
Right field? You must have a cannon.
post #13 of 13
Should you move to Boston dress like a funeral director from Akron, OH.
Also, learn to drive a car. If you've never driven in Boston, you've never driven...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Attn VC/PE Pros in NYC & Boston