or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Romantic Getaways - Help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Romantic Getaways - Help! - Page 2

post #16 of 60
The canadian side of Niagara Falls is quite beautiful.

It's often booked up on weekends, but Yosemite is a real pleasure and you can get some great deals during the week. You should look to rent a vacation home, so you'll have things like running hot+cold water and even satellite TV. Fly in to Oakland or SFO (oakland is closer), rent a car and take the ~4-hour drive up. The Cathedral Rocks are a true natural wonder as is Yosemite falls. If you have never been to the mountains, the sense of scale in Yosemite is really something else.

Enjoy your time together and have a happy trip.
post #17 of 60
A mountain lodge. Hot tub. Wine.
post #18 of 60
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and even though I may not use them on this trip, I think I have a lot of great ideas now for future trips.

My fiance and I have decided to take a 10 day trip to Italy. We still haven't decided where in Italy we're going to go, but we are leaning towards Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions on how "to do" Italy?
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and even though I may not use them on this trip, I think I have a lot of great ideas now for future trips.

My fiance and I have decided to take a 10 day trip to Italy. We still haven't decided where in Italy we're going to go, but we are leaning towards Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions on how "to do" Italy?

I'd recommend trying to get some time in Florence -- a friendly, accessible, easygoing city with lots of great art. I was there a good ten years ago - I loved it.

Rome sort of reminds me of New York, in that it's so historically and culturally significant that you kinda HAVE to see it, but the actual experience of being in the city, from a pleasurability standpoint, is sort of... meh. I mean, it's nowhere as dirty and rude as New York, but coming from Florence, it was a bit of a let-down, environmentally-speaking.
post #20 of 60
Burning Man
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater

My fiance and I have decided to take a 10 day trip to Italy.

August isn't the best time to travel Italy. Sorry, let me rephrase that, August is the worst time to travel Italy. Italians take August off, literally.
post #22 of 60
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have any opinions on Barcelona?
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Does anyone have any opinions on Barcelona?

Barcelona is a nice city, it has a lot of pretty cool scenery and lots of history, especially if you're into architecture. Greece would be an interesting place to check out as well. Are you planning to mostly stay in one area or travel a lot within sections? Ibiza/Barcelona/Nice would be a fun 10 day getaway, spending 2-4 days at each place.
post #24 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Barcelona is a nice city, it has a lot of pretty cool scenery and lots of history, especially if you're into architecture. Greece would be an interesting place to check out as well. Are you planning to mostly stay in one area or travel a lot within sections? Ibiza/Barcelona/Nice would be a fun 10 day getaway, spending 2-4 days at each place.

Probably will end up spending the entire time in one city because it ends up being cheaper that way. I just talked to my fiance and now we're both kind of leaning towards Barcelona after I did some research on the internet. It seems to be a little bit cheaper than Paris or Rome (Venice seems too confusing) and I love it the Spanish food. Also, the language barrier won't be as much of a problem because both of us speak some Spanish (though, as I understand it, the official language in Barcelona is not Spanish, but apparently everyone speaks Spanish).
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Probably will end up spending the entire time in one city because it ends up being cheaper that way. I just talked to my fiance and now we're both kind of leaning towards Barcelona after I did some research on the internet. It seems to be a little bit cheaper than Paris or Rome (Venice seems too confusing) and I love it the Spanish food. Also, the language barrier won't be as much of a problem because both of us speak some Spanish (though, as I understand it, the official language in Barcelona is not Spanish, but apparently everyone speaks Spanish).

Why is Venice confusing? Barcelona would be a nice place to hang out although I would still advise a visit to the Balaerics if you're in the area, only a short ferry ride...
post #26 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Why is Venice confusing? Barcelona would be a nice place to hang out although I would still advise a visit to the Balaerics if you're in the area, only a short ferry ride...

I dunno, water buses and water taxis and what not. Seems like it's kind of hard to get around (I guess maybe that's part of the fun) and that you would have to rely on others for help a lot of the time.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I dunno, water buses and water taxis and what not. Seems like it's kind of hard to get around (I guess maybe that's part of the fun) and that you would have to rely on others for help a lot of the time.

99% of getting around in Venice is walking, although I'm not sure I'd spend 10 days there in any case, it's not that big.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Does anyone have any opinions on Barcelona?
My fiancee have booked our honeymoon to Barcelona. We are going late Oct/early Nov. Neither of us has been there and we've both heard great things. We ended up booking through Travelocity. I'll PM you details if you want (hotel, $$). We are attracted to the history, architecture (Gaudi, other modernisme followers) and art. Plus there's shopping and great food. We're hoping to take a Catalan cooking class while there. The speak Catalan which is very similar to Spanish. I managed to find a city guide (Insight City Guide) that provides some rudimentary Catalan. But the guides all say that knowing Spanish should be fine. I was going to suggest Scandinavia if you want to travel this month. I've never been but imagine it would be ideal in the heat of summer. That said, we don't like hot weather, so we don't travel to beaches or other places that might be warm. b
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Does anyone have any opinions on Barcelona?
"You can't say Americans are not more violent than other people."
"No."
"All those people killed in shootings in America?"
"Oh, shootings, yes. But that doesn't mean Americans are more violent than other people. We're just better shots."
post #30 of 60
Has anyone ever considered the Azores. It is comprised of nine islands and they are easily accessed by short puddle jumpers or ferries. The ancient myth is that they are the remains of the lost city of Atlantis.
My wife is from the island of Terceira and we have had many visits there. We have also been to St. Michael, which is the most commercial of all the islands. St. Michael though has many wonderful natural sites and fantastic accomodations for cheap $$$$.
If you are looking for paradise for cheap, I would consider a visit there soon. And if your unsure were they are, they are approximatly two thirds of the way across the Atlantic on the same latitude as New York city.
Please feel free to pm me with any questions about staying there and what to do.

Gary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Romantic Getaways - Help!