• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick Hair Maintenance

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Okay, I'm growing my thick hair out. I have thick poofy hair. I've heard a few products mentions including the Skinny Line by Paul Mitchell and KMS Hairplay. I have a before/after picture. The first is my hair without product/out of shower and the second is the hair tamed. For me to tame it, I need to leave it unshampooed or conditioned for 3 days. The second pic is my goal for my hair. Here are some questions to fellow thick haired bredrin.

How often do you shampoo/condition it? Do you ever exclusively shampoo or condition it?

My girlfriend said I need to retrain my hair by brushing it back throughout the day. Is this true?

What kind of the products do you use? I don't want the slick back look. I just want to brush it back and with some control and form, similar to the "after picture".

Has anyone used a relaxer? I've hear it can straighten the hair for six weeks or so.

hair%20edit%20tame%20vs%20untame.jpg

1232543838_479eea103c.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brazilian Blowout. Also called Brazilian Keratin Treatment. Must be done at the salon.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That help once I get the length. Any advice as far daily/weekly maintenace for more manageable hair?

bishop491

Reaction score
Mine is very thick and I usually keep it shorter (classic "prep" look; parted & tapered). However, I've let it grow a great deal for a while and I've been trying different stuff to keep it tame. I'm going for more of a Bobby Kennedy look, I think. I've been told I resemble either RFK or JFK. I'd prefer R...

Anyway, I use a shampoo & separate conditioner for thick hair (Pantene, I think). I had used Clubman to keep it tame for a long time, but in experimenting with Gillette flex gel and Groom & Clean, I've found both to be friendlier to longer, thick hair. My preference is the Gillette. I haven't tried the Clubman with this length but will soon.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bishop491
Mine is very thick and I usually keep it shorter (classic "prep" look; parted & tapered). However, I've let it grow a great deal for a while and I've been trying different stuff to keep it tame. I'm going for more of a Bobby Kennedy look, I think. I've been told I resemble either RFK or JFK. I'd prefer R...

Anyway, I use a shampoo & separate conditioner for thick hair (Pantene, I think). I had used Clubman to keep it tame for a long time, but in experimenting with Gillette flex gel and Groom & Clean, I've found both to be friendlier to longer, thick hair. My preference is the Gillette. I haven't tried the Clubman with this length but will soon.

Oh sorry, I didn't buying shampoo and conditioner in one bottle. I'm thinking those are usually not quality products. I was think more along lines of certain day for only shampooing and other days for both. How often did you shampoo?

TG.

Reaction score
I have thick shoulder length hair similiar to pix #3 and here what works for me.

1 Have it thinned and the split ends cut monthly

2 Only wash it 2x a week with matrix shampoo and conditioner.

3 I use parachute gold coconut hair oil daily and only a little.

Oil is the key, your scalp needs it and your hair loves it .

TG

chicfric

Reaction score
Not washing your hair for all those days sounds a bit gross to me. What you can do is use pomade, search bedhead and get the same effect. also try jonathan antin dirt to give the look of dirty hair without it being dirty.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chicfric
Not washing your hair for all those days sounds a bit gross to me. What you can do is use pomade, search bedhead and get the same effect. also try jonathan antin dirt to give the look of dirty hair without it being dirty.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TG.
I have thick shoulder length hair similiar to pix #3 and here what works for me. 1 Have it thinned and the split ends cut monthly 2 Only wash it 2x a week with matrix shampoo and conditioner. 3 I use parachute gold coconut hair oil daily and only a little. Oil is the key, your scalp needs it and your hair loves it . TG
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Is your bed head (first pic) similar to mine? Has dandruff ever been an issue? Do you have use a blow dryer to style your hair?

bishop491

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Oh sorry, I didn't buying shampoo and conditioner in one bottle. I'm thinking those are usually not quality products. I was think more along lines of certain day for only shampooing and other days for both. How often did you shampoo?

You're right, they're not. Good call.

I shampoo & condition each time I shower, no exceptions. I shower at least once a day. I always figure that a good shampoo removes everything 'artificial,' then you'd need to recondition.

TG.

Reaction score
I also use Vatika, leave it in a couple of hours, shampoo and condition..

After washing your hair is clean, silky smooth and shiny, because there are trace amounts of the oil on you scalp.
No blow drying ever and I don't use any gel etc.

I got this info from an Indian girl I used to date, she had beautiful Bollywood hair.

TG

Valenzuela

Reaction score
Hi, I have read this post. Yoga is the best for our health. I have done my yoga teacher training course. Schedule is very important, when we are doing any type of workout and yoga also.
every one doing the .exercise . thick hair or fit body.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Would kill to have this problem. (The guy that told you to do yoga, there you go, that's a thought, a fk'ed up one.)

Valenzuela

Reaction score
hi ,
i liked your post and in my opinion proper health is very important for each and every person to enjoy its happy life..
for a healthy life one should take proper diet and do regular exercise which makes ones mind and soul fit and healthy

regards

Online pharmacy uk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads