• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap shipping to return fabric to UK?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to exchange some fabric with a store in the UK yet the cost through UPS to ship a 4 pound package to the UK from the US is $130 USD !!
eh.gif
The cloth itself is only worth $200 USD, and I thought I paid just like 17 GBP to have it shipped to me, am I missing something?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I wanted to exchange some fabric with a store in the UK yet the cost through UPS to ship a 4 pound package to the UK from the US is $130 USD !!
eh.gif
The cloth itself is only worth $200 USD, and I thought I paid just like 17 GBP to have it shipped to me, am I missing something?

Don't use UPS -

USPS Priority should be around $35, and the basic service should be ~$20ish (no tracking #)

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Don't use UPS -

USPS Priority should be around $35, and the basic service should be ~$20ish (no tracking #)

so $55 total you mean? that is a lot better rate, but still kind of disappointing.. I thought I would only have to pay $30-40 like the sender did... oh well.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
so $55 total you mean? that is a lot better rate, but still kind of disappointing.. I thought I would only have to pay $30-40 like the sender did... oh well.

Not total - $35 if you ship Priority w/ limited tracking, $20ish if you ship First Class International with no tracking.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would opt for USPS and avoid any other couriers. I paid something like $36 last November to ship a 4.5 pound package to UK, IIRC.

I think you would need to label the package clearly (to avoid VAT problems for the merchant) but I'm sure they've already told you about that. Do they charge extras for re-stocking and second time delivery? Depending, you might want to see if you can re-sell the fabrics to a buyer closer to you first and use that money to pay for newer fabrics.

Did you buy them via mail order? I am curious as to why you might be wanting to exchange the fabrics because unless you see them in person, I don't know how exchanging them can ensure that you get the fabrics you really want in the second or even third try. This might turn out to be a costly shipping exercise. If possible, it's better to ask for small sample swatches mailed to you first.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I would opt for USPS and avoid any other couriers. I paid something like $36 last November to ship a 4.5 pound package to UK, IIRC.

I think you would need to label the package clearly (to avoid VAT problems for the merchant) but I'm sure they've already told you about that. Do they charge extras for re-stocking and second time delivery? Depending, you might want to see if you can re-sell the fabrics to a buyer closer to you first and use that money to pay for newer fabrics.

Did you buy them via mail order? I am curious as to why you might be wanting to exchange the fabrics because unless you see them in person, I don't know how exchanging them can ensure that you get the fabrics you really want in the second or even third try. This might turn out to be a costly shipping exercise. If possible, it's better to ask for small sample swatches mailed to you first.

ok looks like usps is the way to go. about VAT, do i just say the customs charge is $0 because it's an exchange?

i liked the fabric, i'm just getting a heavier weight of the same cloth (heavier drapes cleaner they say...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads