• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got a job offer (need advice)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd be a party hack, working as a jack-of-all-trades on a state campaign. It's something I'd really like to do but the pay is quite lame (as per usual with campaigns). They keep telling me that I'll spend very little of my paycheck as housing, gas, other things related to work will all be on the expense acct. (plus, lots of free food at the office). But it requires going to the northern reaches of the Great State of New York, far from the comfort of suburbia. Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh.
confused.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dude, somebody is willing to pay your lame ass for something, take it. anyway, doen'st your daddy support you?

good luck and all the best

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
dude, somebody is willing to pay your lame ass for something, take it. anyway, doen'st your daddy support you? good luck and all the best
He won't when I get a job.
frown.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh.
confused.gif

Since when have you had moral qualms about reneging on an agreement?

Valor

Reaction score
Wow, people hire OSU grads these days? The economy must be improving.

All jokes aside, you can probably keep looking for better until the offer deadline, after which if you accept and then renege, you'd burn some bridges.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'd be a party hack, working as a jack-of-all-trades on a state campaign. It's something I'd really like to do but the pay is quite lame (as per usual with campaigns). They keep telling me that I'll spend very little of my paycheck as housing, gas, other things related to work will all be on the expense acct. (plus, lots of free food at the office). But it requires going to the northern reaches of the Great State of New York, far from the comfort of suburbia.

Not sure what to do. What if I get an offer for a full-time gig the day after I say yes to this? Ugh.
confused.gif

If they are paying for your gas, and paying you, get a Japanese sedan and do it.

Campaign work is something you can really only do when you're young and unattached. All-nighters, sleeping on random floors, pigging out on free food at the office, etc. It's great prep for grad school.

Don't count on a full-time offer materializing, unless you're already in the final stages of interviews.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, my investments are worth more than I had originally thought. I could buy a decent used car and then have a good chunk left over for living expense/savings/further investments.

This might be doable.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked on a political campaign recently at a very low level, doing stuff probably not a million miles from what you would be doing. It was fun and you get to meet and work with quite a lot of interesting/similarly motivated people. I would go for it, you can always get a "real" job afterwards but you may not be able to do something like this again.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not take it? The experience alone will probably help you along in the rest of your career.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connie, you could actually learn something about people in the heartland by living in upstate new york, not to mention maybe discovering meth. I say go for it.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I miss the part where he left D.C.?

Agnacious

Reaction score
Take it. It will look good on your inevitable law school application.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads