• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan - Bespoke vs. MTM

eml4sker

Reaction score
I live in NYC and am in the market for 2-3 suits to be worn for business purposes (probably one grey and one navy). I've done some research on these forums and it seems like WW Chan is held in high regard and may offer the best bang/buck ratio.

I'm comfortable spending up to ~$1,500 per suit, provided the quality is excellent. Beyond that price range, the step-up in quality would need to be considerable in order to justify a purchase in the $2,000 - $3,500 range.

Key questions:
1) What are the approximate cost differences between WW Chan Bespoke and WW Chan MTM?
2) How much better is bespoke?

If it matters, I'm 6'2 185.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of Chan's work is bespoke in that an individual pattern is drafted for each customer. Whether it's the absolute best bespoke if you forego the option of multiple fittings is a separate question.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WW chan is BESPOKE/CUSTOM.

They do not do MTM. Their initial fitting process may have some MTM feel, but a paper pattern is cut for each individual client.

eml4sker

Reaction score
Thanks. Didn't realize that. Do you know where price is?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan's prices these day start around $1,200 for a two-piece suit and go up from there. On the March tour I paid $1,347 for a suit from Harrison's Frontier cloth.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
WW chan is BESPOKE/CUSTOM.

They do not do MTM. Their initial fitting process may have some MTM feel, but a paper pattern is cut for each individual client.

Has anyone ever seen their paper pattern? Just asking.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Yesterday, Chan quoted me a price of $1,759 for a two-piece suit in standard wool cloth in the course of their upcoming visit to Washington, DC. It seems their prices have gone up.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Yesterday, Chan quoted me a price of $1,759 for a two-piece suit in standard wool cloth in the course of their upcoming visit to Washington, DC. It seems their prices have gone up.

sheesh. they deliver a good product, but prices have started to rise quite rapidly.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago that they charged less than $900 for a suit in a serviceable fabric.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn

do you know what fabric that was?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What am I missing here? If Chan charges ~$1,800 for a suit, I am surprised at the number of members who patronize the firm.

I would also argue that Chan is more akin to MTM than bespoke - while a paper pattern is cut, the abbreviated fittings (which seem to be generally discouraged) are not in the sprit of bespoke tailoring.

To be clear, bespoke without several fittings means nothing - what makes bespoke superior is the fittings by a trained professional and not the mere fact that a paper pattern is drafted for each customer.

For the price, one could go to Ercole in NYC, or spend a few hundred dollars more and use Mina Adamo's bespoke service out of Naples.

As I said, what am I missing here?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
What am I missing here? If Chan charges ~$1,800 for a suit, I am surprised at the number of members who patronize the firm. I would also argue that Chan is more akin to MTM than bespoke - while a paper pattern is cut, the abbreviated fittings (which seem to be generally discouraged) are not in the sprit of bespoke tailoring. To be clear, bespoke without several fittings means nothing - what makes bespoke superior is the fittings by a trained professional and not the mere fact that a paper pattern is drafted for each customer. For the price, one could go to Ercole in NYC, or spend a few hundred dollars more and use Mina Adamo's bespoke service out of Naples. As I said, what am I missing here?
Lots of the Chan suits fit well and he is willing to accomodate bolder/more youthful cuts? The rest is rather irrelevent...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Lots of the Chan suits fit well and he is willing to accomodate bolder/more youthful cuts? The rest is rather irrelevent...

Maybe I haven't been around the WAYWN thread that frequently, but the only Chan suits I've liked have been those of the HK-based customers (yfyf for example). I assume those customers have had several fittings.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't been terribly impressed with the rest - especially now that I see they cost $1,800 a pop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads