or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Your style icons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your style icons - Page 4

post #46 of 61
just re-watched 'As Good As It Gets' :- Jack, anyone? And Chinatown.
post #47 of 61
My style icon is still Bryan Ferry, period.
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
My style icon is still Bryan Ferry, period.

A loyal Kilgour customer! Savile Row all the way.
post #49 of 61
I think a style icon or at least a man of style must have a signature look. Letterman qualifies because he wears white socks but nobody else could get way with. The white socks paired with his double breasted jacket, which for some reason he usually wears open, is his signature look.

Larry King has his suspenders.

And Peter Bogdanovich has his denim outfit with the neckerchief.

Makes them all easily identifiable. They're not my cup of tea but I think that's the goal: to look individual, to create your own personal style, and take the inevitable criticisms with a kind of courageous disregard.
post #50 of 61


Zachary Scott

post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by richstyle
I think a style icon or at least a man of style must have a signature look. Letterman qualifies because he wears white socks but nobody else could get way with. The white socks paired with his double breasted jacket, which for some reason he usually wears open, is his signature look.

Larry King has his suspenders.

And Peter Bogdanovich has his denim outfit with the neckerchief.

Makes them all easily identifiable. They're not my cup of tea but I think that's the goal: to look individual, to create your own personal style, and take the inevitable criticisms with a kind of courageous disregard.

i totally disagree that letterman can get away with his white socks. its so hideous.
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britalian
just re-watched 'As Good As It Gets' :- Jack, anyone? And Chinatown.

Whats great in that movie is some of the interiors. His place is quite nice. Keatons beach side get up isn't a dog house either.

I second the sentiments of Acidiboy -I'm not quite convinced with Letterman's white sox. In theory if it going to work, Letterman should be the one to pull it off. But when he walks out on stage, it bugs me. that's just me.
In a local mens shop here the sales men are fond of wairing these yellow /cream colored socks with their grey or dark khaki trousers and it works better to my eye.
post #53 of 61
My local men's stores contain salespeople who dress like crap, to be honest. That could be do to the contents of the stores of course.
post #54 of 61
HE IS MY GOD
If I dress like him at 30 all my dreams will have come true
























post #55 of 61
I like the way they dress Geoffrey Palmer, who plays Lionel on PBS' "As Time Goes By".

post #56 of 61
Steve McQueen
James Bond classic and some of the select new
Luciano Barbera
Thomas Crown Affair Brosnan,Pierce
Well dressed Italians
Cary Grant
Clooney
Some of Daniel Craig's more casual element wardrobe
Jude Law in TMR and an occassional piece.
---
With Grant and Brosnan the only ones really with it most of the time.
And for McQueen for balancing rugged with cool.
post #57 of 61
The illustrations of Edward Gorey. Classic, elegant, interesting, dark, slightly sinister.
post #58 of 61
Cary Grant
Gary Cooper
James Bond (Connery, Brosnan, and Danny Boy) (roots to my love of clothing)
Dennis Farina on Law and Order (more roots)
Bogie
Sydney Greenstreet
Prince Charles
Duke of Windsor
post #59 of 61
I am so, so flattered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses
HE IS MY GOD
If I dress like him at 30 all my dreams will have come true

post #60 of 61
Cary Grant, no question about it; with Pierce Brosnan's OO7 a respectable second.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Your style icons