or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Etro shirts, very low quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Etro shirts, very low quality

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hi folks ,

I received this week an Etro shirt from a nice forum member.

I got to say the inside collar is so rough and harsh sewn that irritates my actual collar.

As I can´t return it, I´ll got to sewn some part of cotton on the inside , above the sewn to avoid that.

Curiously I got the same issue on a Borrelli.
post #2 of 21
Probably made by Nobel-winning communists.
post #3 of 21
Honestly, I am amazed they fetch the prices they do. I was in Holt Renfrew the other day and I couldn't believe $350 shirts had plastic buttons.
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Honestly, I am amazed they fetch the prices they do. I was in Holt Renfrew the other day and I couldn't believe $350 shirts had plastic buttons.

This is a recent, and exceptionally troubling, development. I'm someone who exclusively wears Etro as casual to dressy casual wear, and have noticed a disturbing downward trend. However, the "saving grace" is that most of its competitors have done the same thing.

Earlier Etro, even a few years ago, all featured higher quality stitching, horn or MOP buttons and exceptional cuff detailing. All I can say is that hopefully the down quality is reflective of how the company is doing and not a sign of things to come. I've noticed it in Paul Smith as well, whom I would argue is their biggest competitor.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
Probably made by Nobel-winning communists.

You´re right as the quality seems even worst as were made by III world slavished workers as the one who wears the burka from your avatar. Or slavished chinesse workers illegal boats on Italy´s coast.

I have seen 5 euros made in china shirts that are better done. Not the same great colors but better overall quality.

I forgot to mention that I took me 45 minutes to iron it, and could´t iron it perfectly. It never happened before having tons of neapolitan shirts.
post #6 of 21
The first time I saw an Etro shirt was when I received one as a gift 3 years ago. I had experience with some of their sportcoats and honestly just loved them. Even today I think those SCs are pretty nice looking. The shirt however was truly abysmal. The pattern was incredibly ugly and the quality felt on par with Hugo Boss but with a worse fit, the thing was tent like. I returned it and gladly kept the 320$ credit
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojans31 View Post
This is a recent, and exceptionally troubling, development. I'm someone who exclusively wears Etro as casual to dressy casual wear, and have noticed a disturbing downward trend. However, the "saving grace" is that most of its competitors have done the same thing. Earlier Etro, even a few years ago, all featured higher quality stitching, horn or MOP buttons and exceptional cuff detailing. All I can say is that hopefully the down quality is reflective of how the company is doing and not a sign of things to come. I've noticed it in Paul Smith as well, whom I would argue is their biggest competitor.
Yes , I know Etro from several years. Their suits are done by Boglioli I think. If you like PS and Etro, you might like Kenzo shirts ( not suits, horrible ), they have great fabrics, better design ( I got great floral jacquard ones , super slim ) Designed by Antonio Marras. I guess both PS and Kenzo are or were years ago done in the same italy factory. Same cut, patters,cotton , buttons and same " made in italy " collar black tag . Same collars too. Great for casual use.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitus View Post
The first time I saw an Etro shirt was when I received one as a gift 3 years ago. I had experience with some of their sportcoats and honestly just loved them. Even today I think those SCs are pretty nice looking. The shirt however was truly abysmal. The pattern was incredibly ugly and the quality felt on par with Hugo Boss but with a worse fit, the thing was tent like. I returned it and gladly kept the 320$ credit

You either like incredibly ugly patterns or you don't like Etro. Their output leaves very little middle ground.
post #9 of 21
Hell, their pants are just as bad. I think my older BR pants are better constructed.
post #10 of 21
was Etro EVER high quality? no snark, honest question. i for one haven't seen it
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post
was Etro EVER high quality?


no snark, honest question. i for one haven't seen it

I don't know. I for one have always been surprised by some of the crap designers put out. I mocked prada shirts for the same reason several years ago. plastic buttons have no place on a 400 shirt. On the prada example, the button was even falling off. The only shirts worth 300 and up imo are bespoke, or stuff like borrelli if you're one of the lucky few that OTR fits beautifully.
post #12 of 21
Had a look at these the other day in Selfridges, they were around GBP160, had plastic buttons and fitted like a tent
post #13 of 21
Would your neck be less itchy if you just cut the big ETRO tag off?

Or would that just instantly depreciate the value of your shirt by 90%?
post #14 of 21
Out of all of the Etro items I have seen, their shirts are the most inconsistent when it comes to quality. I have a number of their shirts, pretty good quality and paid discount prices. I love Etro, but when it comes to their shirts, I have to wait until they hit $150 or less for sure. I am pretty sad that they don't offer their shirts with MOP buttons as well, especially at the MSRP. As far as sizing, you have to size down for sure, at least one size.
post #15 of 21
Must be expected from a label that is known for clownish designs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Etro shirts, very low quality