or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties: Alfred Dunhill, Zegna and Versace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ties: Alfred Dunhill, Zegna and Versace

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Those of you who read my shoe thread know I was guilty of spending part of the afternoon outlet shopping at Off 5th. They had a number of ties (a large number at that) by makers like Dunhill, Zegna and Versace at substantial discounts off of retail, but I still wasn't sure how good a deal they were. The Dunhill ones were from $20-60, and the Zegna and Versace were about $40-60. Are these nice ties, and are these good prices for them? They also had tons of SFA house brands, Ike Bahar and Boss, none of which particularly interest me. Oh, and I looked, not a single Brioni, Kiton or Carvet.
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP
Those of you who read my shoe thread know I was guilty of spending part of the afternoon outlet shopping at Off 5th. They had a number of ties (a large number at that) by makers like Dunhill, Zegna and Versace at substantial discounts off of retail, but I still wasn't sure how good a deal they were. The Dunhill ones were from $20-60, and the Zegna and Versace were about $40-60. Are these nice ties, and are these good prices for them? They also had tons of SFA house brands, Ike Bahar and Boss, none of which particularly interest me. Oh, and I looked, not a single Brioni, Kiton or Carvet.

Not bad prices, but more than I would pay. If you can get nice looking ties at the lower end of your spectrum ($20-40), it would seem a better deal.

Remember, if you are patient, you can find super nice ties by Brioni, Kiton, Charvet, Dupont, etc. on ebay or on deep clearance for $40-75.
post #3 of 9
If you're still moving to SoCal, there is an outlet in Tustin, CA called Gary's Outlet that has Brioni, Barbera, and Etro ties for $35 each.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
If you're still moving to SoCal, there is an outlet in Tustin, CA called Gary's Outlet that has Brioni, Barbera, and Etro ties for $35 each.
I agree. You'll find a lot of good outlet shopping in S. California. The Cabazon outlet mall has a SOF that always has a nice selection of quality ties and the Zegna store seems to have virtually anything they make, for $70 though. And don't dismiss the SFA ties. Their grenadines are made by Michael Drake and are very nice ties (look for the little "MD" on the label at the thin end). They have some other very nice SFA branded ties made in England with a code "VH" or "VII". Does anyone know the maker? Edit: In my experience, SOF is also a good place to find Canali ties and occasionally ties by Nicky, Borrelli, Breuer and, more rarely, Charvet.
post #5 of 9
I like Zegna ties simply because I love many of the designs and they seem to knot very well indeed. Are they worth the price? For me yes, but YMMV.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I agree. You'll find a lot of good outlet shopping in S. California. The Cabazon outlet mall has a SOF that always has a nice selection of quality ties and the Zegna store seems to have virtually anything they make, for $70 though.

And don't dismiss the SFA ties. Their grenadines are made by Michael Drake and are very nice ties (look for the little "MD" on the label at the thin end). They have some other very nice SFA branded ties made in England with a code "VH" or "VII". Does anyone know the maker?

Edit: In my experience, SOF is also a good place to find Canali ties and occasionally ties by Nicky, Borrelli, Breuer and, more rarely, Charvet.

This is true, I'd rather drive to the block though to go to SOF rather than 100 miles to Cabazon. I guess this depends where you live.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
This is true, I'd rather drive to the block though to go to SOF rather than 100 miles to Cabazon. I guess this depends where you live.

I've found that the SOF at The Block has a great suit selection, but fewer ties. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found an outlet store with a good selection of sportcoats. I visit Cabazon primarily to hit the Ferragamo store to scout for Tramezzas.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I visit Cabazon primarily to hit the Ferragamo store to scout for Tramezzas.

If you ever see Tramezzas in 9.5 EE, I would be very interested. Thanks!
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
I've found that the SOF at The Block has a great suit selection, but fewer ties. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found an outlet store with a good selection of sportcoats. I visit Cabazon primarily to hit the Ferragamo store to scout for Tramezzas.

NM Last Call in Primm has a good selection of sportcoats but it's not somewhere you can just drive to unless you live in Vegas, I suppose. I always stop there on my way to LV and I've picked up some very nice items. I got a fully canvassed black pinstripe Gucci suit there for $160 before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties: Alfred Dunhill, Zegna and Versace