• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non Lace up Shoes with a suit??? Yes or No?

krolyk55

Reaction score
Ok so I spent the $300 once a few years back and had great run with a pair of Allen Edmonds conservative black lace up dress shoes. I wear suits to work every day and those shoes were all i had, but they fit the bill and i looked good.

This time around i bought some cheaper Norstrom Rack shoes for about $90 made by Gordon Rush, and I mainly got them cause i had discovered how much i LOVED not having to lace up my shoes. Is this a major sin on SF? No lace shoes? Are there any nicer slip ons made by say AE or Cole Hann that would look perfectly good with a suit?

Or do I have to wear the lace ups with my suits to avoid a major style blunder?

Help please!

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think lace-ups should be worn with suits, but there are many, many people that do otherwise. Of course, there are many, many people that have to idea how to look good, too.

The main recommendation you're going to hear on hear is to get more than one pair of shoes, so you can rotate them.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only without a tie.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ As an aside, I always consider "wearing a suit" to imply wearing a tie. If someone tells me to wear a suit to something, I will definitely have a tie on, and would expect to be reprimanded if I didn't.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lace ups=suit. Though there are some very nice loafers(leather sole) that can be worn with a suit. But the main shoe should be a laceup.

heaven7

Reaction score
I think monks or double monks can look good, even in a conservative setting, with tie and everything.
Now, while not a big fan of loafers, as I cannot pull them off, I think they work with suits in casual settings, sans tie, etc.

awxg

Reaction score
I wear chelsea's with a suit occasionally.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heaven7
I think monks or double monks can look good, even in a conservative setting, with tie and everything.
Now, while not a big fan of loafers, as I cannot pull them off, I think they work with suits in casual settings, sans tie, etc.

Yes, monks and double monks can look great with a suit. I also wear some non-laceup ankle boots with suits, but that is maybe a bit too much if you wish to look reasonably "conservative". I NEVER EVER wear loafers with suits: I cannot stand these "dress loafers" in black or burgundy that a lot of people around here wear with suits. I have only one pair of loafers, a kind of light-bluish pair of Bruno Magli loafers, which I only wear in very casual settings, such as when having a refreshing cocktail, dressed in linen, a summer afternoon.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I prefer and only wear lace-ups with suits, no one will bat an eye if you wear slip-ons.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another +1 for monks/double-monks. Slip-ons or loafers? Absolutely not.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I have a beautiful pair of black Sutor Mantellassi penny loafers that I wear with a suit and they are part of my normal shoe rotation. There are some more formal loafers, but you're usually going to pay for them.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I wouldn't care if they were bespoke Lobbs, personally. I just don't think they look right.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by krolyk55

I mainly got them cause i had discovered how much i LOVED not having to lace up my shoes.
Help please!

Is lacing up your shoes really that burdensome to you?

In any event, I'd like to add another voice to the chorus in praise of monks. You don't have to unbuckle them when you take them off and buckle them back up when you put them on. (There was quite a thread about this subject a while ago.) I wear monks with suits that are a little less formal--ones with a glen check pattern, for example. When I need to dress more formally, though, I always wear lace-ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads