• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Critical Are Others of Your Style?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thread about what we've learned from this forum got me thinking about how we live in a vacuum of sorts with regards to the clothes and stylings we find aesthetically pleasing. What may seem dull to many here (boat shoes + a chrono roll) blows the mind of the average citizen.

So how often do you hear from other people about the things you wear or how you choose to wear them? I can't say I've ever been outright criticized, but countless people have made observations framed as "jokes." I don't even dress in the fashion-forward aesthetic.

Even though I tend not to take them seriously, it's still amazing how some fairly basic things ruffles the feathers of people who don't care much about clothes or their appearance. Here's a brief list of what I've heard from others over the last year:

- My tartan button-down being compared to one of Al Borland's shirts
- My Epaulet purple flannel getting me called a "purple lumberjack"
- My beaded bracelets prompting my uncle to jokingly ask when I came out of the closet
- My red socks becoming a main topic of conversation
- A remark about how high I rolled the sleeves of a long-sleeve shirt
- My striped Uniqlo shorts and SS, solid button-down shirt being compared to a mail carrier's outfit

How about you guys? I don't think any of these things would get a second look in a bigger city, but I guess my current environment frowns upon clothing that breaks the status quo of graphic tees, flip flops, cargo shorts, baggy button-down shirts, and cheap shoes and boots.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
i don't think many if any people here dress so outlandishly that people would be gawking in the cities they live. Most people dont' really think at all about clothes or care. That's generally why the people wearing the stuff in your last sentence wear that. I think maybe this applies to the weirdos who are 18 and want to wear a full suit and pocket square to intro to public speaking 101 freshman year. Not as much for people wearing rick owens leathers or rolled chinos. Especially the last 2 years or so where caring about clothing and fashion/style/whatever has become more acceptable for guys in the eyes of "plebes" as jet would say

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The only people who joke about my clothes are my family.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Among people my age, exactly never. Even the more out-there stuff. If my family (ie my dad, aunts / uncles, etc) see stuff like that they're very confused and look somewhat disapproving, barbs may be heard though rarely I guess. But it's not like I'm gonna wear marble jacket to a family gathering.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Laugh it off. Would you rather be wearing their ****** Wal Mart clothes?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I think that the responses that SFers get to stylistic choices is undoubtedly less severe than the SZ folks, it is always the weirdest damn things that get attention. Honestly, I think the boat shoe/roll is pretty ubiquitous these days, even in small town nowhere. I've heard that:

-If I wear plaid I must be in a frat
-boot tuck = "***"
-long cardigan = "***"
-wearing a blazer, ever, is inconceivably dressy, unless it is "casual" - which means that it is an ill-fitting beige sack worn over the choicest rock and republics.
- "Why the hell are you wearing a suit without a tie?"
- I still get looks for wearing petite standards, as they're "girls' jeans"
- "Why are you so dressed up?"
- apparently, blue shoes are mind-boggling.

Essentially, "style" consists of gap jeans and New Balance sneaks, and I honestly can't stand either. I'm not so avant-garde that anything I wear really gets any note, other than for its fit (i.e. slim, not baggy)

This is in a town of 100k plus, not exactly the middle of the desert. Girls are allowed to run around in heels, and Ed Hardy is at least frowned upon, but somehow guys are able to get away with the most ridiculous ****. I just don't see how it isn't simply a matter of respect - people have to be around you, and we expect teh wimminz to look fly, yet don't seem to understand that sheer animal magnetism doesn't forgive all wrongs. Around here, speedcats/"designer jeans"/polo shirt is pretty much the uniform.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra

Precisely. I equate it to when I get comments about eating real food (like chicken, veggies, almonds) from people who are overweight.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get a lot but I forget a lot. Everyone comments on my "shiny shoes" (common projects) and my Yohji coat alternatingly draws references from the Matrix and vampires. I get the standard jeans jokes, of course.

Doesn't bother me much, I generally get more compliments than insults.

@APK: I do hate when people look down on you for doing things well, be it eating, drinking, dressing, etc.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Among people my age, exactly never. Even the more out-there stuff. If my family (ie my dad, aunts / uncles, etc) see stuff like that they're very confused and look somewhat disapproving, barbs may be heard though rarely I guess. But it's not like I'm gonna wear marble jacket to a family gathering.
Same here. I'll get a few double-takes from my friends on certain pieces, but very rarely do they make any comments about it. And honestly, I don't feel any of my clothes are outlandish to the point where people would feel the need to make it the focus of our conversation. I've gotten a few remarks on my Julius pieces and knitted DBSS cardi, but that's to be expected I suppose.

entropy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
- "Why are you so dressed up?"

I get this all the time and love it.

It kind of sounds like some of you need to grow a thicker skin. By dressing differently you are setting yourself apart. If you can't deal with it then maybe you need to look at why you dress the way you do. Besides, it sounds like most of it is just ribbing from family members. If they are anything like my family they would have eventually found something to give you **** about, so just grin and give it back.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only the kids I teach have cared. And they only care about red socks and when I wear shorts. And my hair. Everything else, purple dbs included are perfectly fine. I'm sure I catch **** behind my back from other non-Koreans here but they're all fat and ugly so it's not like I'd care anyways.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra

To be fair, lots of those people have better things to spend their money on like children, mortgages, cars, taxes, insurance etc...

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
To be fair, lots of those people have better things to spend their money on like children, mortgages, cars, taxes, insurance etc...

it doesn't cost much money at all to not look like ****, they're just too ******* lazy to care

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
- My Epaulet purple flannel getting me called a "purple lumberjack"

I got a similar comment when I wore the brown one, someone referred to me as a scarecrow. I said "and what makes you think I don't want to be a scarecrow?"

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

sounds boring

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics