or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Hourly rate for expert witness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hourly rate for expert witness

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
I was contacted about helping as an expert witness in a court case. What are some good resources for determining what my hourly rate should be? Google has given me too many useless links.
post #2 of 33
$377.95
post #3 of 33
Charge by the word
post #4 of 33
It all depends on your level of expertise, and what they are willing to pay. Decide what your time is worth, then see what they say. You may want to shoot a bit high, so you have bargaining room. For instance, I have seen Financial expert witnesses recieve anywhere from $300 to over $1000. Obviously the qualifications make a great impact upon wages.
post #5 of 33
Nobody wants to talk about hourly rates for this kind of stuff on a public forum for fear of price fixing charges.
post #6 of 33
I work at an accounting firm and we have a litigation and dispute practice with expert witness testimony by the partners. We typically only do financial and audit testimony. Typically, the partner will charge $500+/hr for actual time he or she spends in court, reviewing documents, and travel time. There will also be lots of time charged by staff organizing and reviewing documents to prep the expert witness which will add substantial additional time. Sometimes we'll do an agreed-upon flat fee depending on the amount of work that needs to be done but it isn't often in that practice of our firm.
post #7 of 33
how much do hookers in your area charge per hour?
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk View Post
I was contacted about helping as an expert witness in a court case. What are some good resources for determining what my hourly rate should be? Google has given me too many useless links.

Google is your friend.
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
Nobody wants to talk about hourly rates for this kind of stuff on a public forum for fear of price fixing charges.
What? That's not really consistent with my experience. This information is openly discussed all the time, just as lawyers' rates are. But as somebody said, it depends a lot on your field and qualifications. Anything from $250 - $750 would be within the range of "normal", with outliers on either end of that. Also, it's not unusual to charge a bit less for prep time, analysis, and report-writing, with a premium and/or daily minimum for actual testimony at trial or in a deposition.
post #10 of 33
bout tree fiddy
post #11 of 33
well as an expert witness myself, you should charge $19.95 and a bonus snuggie
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
What? That's not really consistent with my experience. This information is openly discussed all the time, just as lawyers' rates are. But as somebody said, it depends a lot on your field and qualifications. Anything from $250 - $750 would be within the range of "normal", with outliers on either end of that. Also, it's not unusual to charge a bit less for prep time, analysis, and report-writing, with a premium and/or daily minimum for actual testimony at trial or in a deposition.

My experience with experts, and especially with lawyers, is that nobody wants to openly discuss what they charge. Everybody is vague when it comes to discussing their fees except when discussing them with actual clients.
post #13 of 33
if you're not even expert enough to know what people in your field charge.... Your line of work must have some billout rate for consultants, use that as a starting point.
post #14 of 33
Recently, I discovered video forensic experts charge $1000 flat rate to testify in court.
post #15 of 33
$0. It should be fulfillig enough to have a room packed full of people hanging off your every word an considering you a god.

What's the case on if you don't mind?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Hourly rate for expert witness