or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › recommendations for classic black oxfords
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

recommendations for classic black oxfords

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
hello,

i did some forum scouring but i don't have the luxury of indulging myself too much at work.
i need some recommendations for a pair of black oxfords. a slightly pointed toe would be nice, no square. a pair of pradas really caught my eye ($795cdn. at harry rosen in toronto which, according to the salesmen, is the only shop in canada to stock it??) simple, elegant, nice profile.. really liked the low heel. no logos on the exterior. i could really care less about the brand. actually, i wonder how much of that is tacked onto the price tag. but there must be something else out there. i just recently discovered n.d.c. but have never seen any models in toronto. i'm not a shoe veteran by any stretch so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 11
Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues are a good choice in balmorals.
post #3 of 11
I wouldn't be spending that much on Prada, nor would I go with them for black oxfords. You are in EG territory at that level of expenditure, although I would suggest:

http://www.plal.com/crockett/hires/Audley.jpg

which will run you about $400-450 USD.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues are a good choice in balmorals.

+1
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
great tips, thanks everyone. long live the interweb.
post #6 of 11
FWIW, at the price levels you're talking you may also be able to get black MacKay cap-toes by EG for RLPL through the RL website (depending on your size) for something around $575 U.S. But you can certainly get very nice shoes for less than than, and the AE's recommended by several people here are a good choice.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
ahh, edward green. thanks! the prada prices are sounding more and more ridiculous.. will have to dig up a good EG in toronto. AE too.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
FWIW, at the price levels you're talking you may also be able to get black MacKay cap-toes by EG for RLPL through the RL website (depending on your size) for something around $575 U.S. But you can certainly get very nice shoes for less than than, and the AE's recommended by several people here are a good choice.

Yeah, those Mackays are really nice, I bit on them a few years ago when there was the big rush on RLPL shoes from Polo.com with the sale coupon, but they're still a good deal at the current price.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, those Mackays are really nice, I bit on them a few years ago when there was the big rush on RLPL shoes from Polo.com with the sale coupon, but they're still a good deal at the current price.


The Mackays are awesome. They're twice the price of the AEs, but on the current sale, if they have them in your size, equivalent to the shoes you mentioned in the OP.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, those Mackays are really nice, I bit on them a few years ago when there was the big rush on RLPL shoes from Polo.com with the sale coupon, but they're still a good deal at the current price.
I think you know this, but that's the sale price on the remaining sale items from the summer sale. The rack rate on PLPL EG's is considerably higher . . .
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I think you know this, but that's the sale price on the remaining sale items from the summer sale. The rack rate on PLPL EG's is considerably higher . . .

Right, a few years ago they had a 25% off coupon that worked on their sale stuff. I believe the EGs were gone in about 10 hours after it came out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › recommendations for classic black oxfords