• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a Belt

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal . . . I know nothing about street wear (post on the other board), but am coming to you all for help. I recently lost a few pounds and my jeans are loose in the waist. I wear dark colored (blue, gray, or black) jeans and a white t-shirt pretty much every day I am not dressed up (sorry) and need to figure out how to keep my jeans from sagging.

All I know about are leather belts. Clearly that is too formal. What can I wear that fits my "look" . . . i.e. skinny 20-something slacker type with relatively tight jeans, pumas, and a t-shirt (again, sorry, i know how stupid it looks).

Thanks

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jean shop makes the best washed belts, but they really need to be looked at instore, because each one is pretty unique. About $155. For a simple belt, you can't really beat the R by 45RPM belts (about $130), and of course, as toughness goes, Kicking Mule Workshop belts ($330) could probably be used to pull a tractor. Oliver spencer does some nice colored numbers. Right now, look on TheCorner.com and Yoox, where there are lots of cool options to be had. Mauro Grifoni makes pretty decent, just a little tweaked, options as well.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Filson bridle leather belts are pretty nice too.

blynch

Reaction score
where to buy r by 45rpm belt or jean shop belt. Seriously looked for a few minutes and couldn't find them for sale.

looking for washed brown or something else pretty supple and not very thick, my bridle leather belt is just to bulky for some fits

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.rby45rpm.com - they are unfortunately nearly out of everything right now, but they generally re-up every season. and www.worldjeanshop.com - note that jean shop belts size rather large. I have 2 XS's, and my current jean size is a 32. The jeanshop belts are great for what you want. The leather is thick, but not super thick like the Kicking Mule belts, and very supple, especially after a wash. You probably want the brown, and then, seriously, wash it yourself. It's the easiest thing in the world, and with high quality leather, the results are terrific. Turn your tap on to the highest temperature, and soak the belt in it for 5 minutes or so. Take out, wring out the leather, and then pull to get it back to it's original length, flatten out the leather with your hands, and let it dry for a day or two in a cool, dry, place. I did this with a navy belt that was just a bit too dark, and it took out just enough dye, and the color became a little less uniform, and the leather looks fantastic contrasted with the brass buckle. I've actually gotten tons of compliments, and more than one offer to buy it. Not for sale.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
www.rby45rpm.com - they are unfortunately nearly out of everything right now, but they generally re-up every season.

and

www.worldjeanshop.com - note that jean shop belts size rather large. I have 2 XS's, and my current jean size is a 32.

The jeanshop belts are great for what you want. The leather is thick, but not super thick like the Kicking Mule belts, and very supple, especially after a wash. You probably want the brown, and then, seriously, wash it yourself. It's the easiest thing in the world, and with high quality leather, the results are terrific. Turn your tap on to the highest temperature, and soak the belt in it for 5 minutes or so. Take out, wring out the leather, and then pull to get it back to it's original length, flatten out the leather with your hands, and let it dry for a day or two in a cool, dry, place. I did this with a navy belt that was just a bit too dark, and it took out just enough dye, and the color became a little less uniform, and the leather looks fantastic contrasted with the brass buckle. I've actually gotten tons of compliments, and more than one offer to buy it. Not for sale.

ty

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on Naked & Famous' belt? Seems like a steal at $60, but I have never seen it in person. Seems like the leather is really thick. Would it be comparable in quality to my Sugar Cane belt?

zeroconspiracy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
All I know about are leather belts. Clearly that is too formal. What can I wear that fits my "look" . . . i.e. skinny 20-something slacker type with relatively tight jeans, pumas, and a t-shirt (again, sorry, i know how stupid it looks).

Thanks

Honestly, I am feelin' a D-ring canvas belt for you. You can find these by most every brand/desginer in every price range with variations on stripes. It is casual for the every day college slacker but can also be used for a weekend getaway sailing around Maratha's Vineyard with Muffy
bigstar[1].gif

p31712l.jpg

roguetheory

Reaction score
Anybody know where to buy high quality "rocker" style belts..Things with studs etc, without getting tacky.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a naked and famous thick belt and its pretty sick

guyferguson

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Anyone have any thoughts on Naked & Famous' belt? Seems like a steal at $60, but I have never seen it in person. Seems like the leather is really thick. Would it be comparable in quality to my Sugar Cane belt?

Just a heads up, if you are on the fence about the N&F belt i would grab one. Retail is going to be $100 from now on. As far as i know the $60 retail was the the result of a misquote from the manufacturers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roguetheory
Anybody know where to buy high quality "rocker" style belts..Things with studs etc, without getting tacky.

Probably off Yoox. They have a lot of HTC belts that are pretty cool. Note that being a little tacky/loud is sort of the point of a "rocker" belt. They are not meat to be sedate. Maybe "non-douchey" is a better way to put it. And that depends on you. I say, no matching your studded belt with a studded cuff/boots/headband.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads