or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max. - Page 4

post #46 of 84
So what ETA watch would you consider comparable?
post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post
I really like this color contrast. (blue/black against reddish leather) I also like the exposed stitching on the band... Are cheap knock-offs of this style easily found?
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR View Post
By no means does the watch have to be mechanical. The only mechanical I have is the Seiko and it is out 30 some minutes a month. I like the idea of an auto but not sure I like one more than accuracy and low maintenance. I know this is blasphemy. That said I am sure the watch I get will end up being an auto.

Most people don't and shouldn't buy mechanical watches. They all require much more upkeep than most are willing to pay for or expect, and offer much less functionality for the average wearer. But people are sheep and by them anyway because they're "better." It's the same phenomenon underlying the mass exodus to digital SLR cameras.
post #49 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
I really like this color contrast. (blue/black against reddish leather)
I also like the exposed stitching on the band...
Are cheap knock-offs of this style easily found?

Those arguably are cheap knock-offs.
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Personally, I'd prefer the better-fitting, better-made RTW suit over its bespoke counterpart. I don't think "bespoke" means anything by itself, just as it doesn't matter in and of itself whether a watch movement is mechanical. Hell, I could make you a bespoke suit if you'd like.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree here. I value certain objects for their story as well as for what they can do for me. When one has limited means, it becomes a difficult trade-off.
post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
I guess we just have to agree to disagree here. I value certain objects for their story as well as for what they can do for me. When one has limited means, it becomes a difficult trade-off.
I can understand the "story" factor much more in tailoring than in watchmaking. The modern mechanical watch movement is a product of the Industrial Age. Virtually everything is done by machine or touched by machine--and as much is automated as possible. So, I'm not sure what "story" Nomos adds to its movements that ETA does not.
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Those arguably are cheap knock-offs.

Anyone have a link to a watch like it?
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Anyone have a link to a watch like it?

They are pilot watches. Look up the IWC Mark XI/XII/XV and the IWC Big Pilot. The former were standard issue to RAF pilots throughout the second half of the 20th century and the latter was used by the Luftwaffe during WWII. There were other manufacturers, but IWC's versions are the most iconic and well-known.
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I see you and I raise you.



Love them both and I concur.
post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
They are pilot watches. Look up the IWC Mark XI/XII/XV and the IWC Big Pilot. The former were standard issue to RAF pilots throughout the second half of the 20th century and the latter was used by the Luftwaffe during WWII. There were other manufacturers, but IWC's versions are the most iconic and well-known.

If a Stowa Flieger is a knock-off, then the IWCs are knock-offs, too.
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs View Post
If a Stowa Flieger is a knock-off, then the IWCs are knock-offs, too.

Stowa made a B-uhr, but not a Mark XI. Right? So, in a sense, you're right that the Airman isn't a "knock-off" of a B-Uhr--but, it doesn't possess the features that distinguished the original B-Uhr watches (a big movement and anti-magnetic inner casing). As is, it has no reason to be so big. So, even if "knock-off" isn't exactly the right word, there is something a bit fake about the watch.
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
you're right that the Airman isn't a "knock-off"
I selectively quoted you so I could agree with you. I agree, the Stowa isn't a knockoff. Regarding the original German pilot's watch, there were specific guidelines that neither the modern Stowa nor the IWC meet. You can pick and choose which have to be met in order to not be "a bit fake" if you would like, but (short of buying an actual WWII pilot's watch) all of the modern non-55mm watches leave something to be desired. I exclude the IWC Mark__ from my discussion in this post because they don't particularly interest me, nor is the Stowa derivative of their design.
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs View Post
Regarding the original German pilot's watch, there were specific guidelines that neither the modern Stowa nor the IWC meet.

Well, neither is as big as the original, but the IWC at least has a full-size movement and anti-magnetic protection.
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Well, neither is as big as the original, but the IWC at least has a full-size movement and anti-magnetic protection.

So, like we both said, the Stowa is not a knock-off. Sweet.

The buyer is free to purchase the watch of his or her choice without fear of ad-hominem-type attacks by you on his or her choice of watch in the future. Life is good. Thanks!
post #60 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Well, here's my perspective: mechanical movements are technologically obsolete and much more costly than quartz movements, so it really only makes sense to pay for a mechanical movement if you are getting something that exemplifies interesting or sophisticated watchmaking. However, as you know, plain Jane ETA/Valjoux/Unitas ebauches are a dime a dozen, horologically boring, and are usually materially identical amongst watches less than several thousand dollars. Also, the in-house movements cropping up amongst lower-end manufacturers are unremarkable--they might as well be ETAs. So, if that's all you can get for less then a few thousand dollars, why not just get a nice-looking quartz watch with superior technology and a lower price? After all, it seems like most people buying Nomos and Stowa watches are after the looks, not the substance.

It's like candles. You might buy a few cheap ones to keep around in case the lights go out, but otherwise the only candles that make sense today are the expensive ones that smell nice.
Flawed on several levels, in my opinion.

First, it's not clear that people are seeking an interesting mechnical movement at all; it's just that the watches that appeal to them aesthetically happen to be offered only as mechnicals. They can't find an equivalent with squartz movements. You claim that the Stowas posted in this thread look like any museum gift shop souvenir. Post some, the Stowa appreciators will let you know whether they find them interesting or not.

But let's assume you are seeking a mechanical movement. Maybe you enjoy the ritual of hand-winding every day. Maybe you like seeing the movement through the hardlex back. Maybe you appreciate the fact that an automatic winds itself and never needs a replacement battery. There could be plenty of reasons to seek out a mechnical other than seeking "something that exemplifies interesting or sophisticated watchmaking" from a purely technical point of view.

This is what I dislike in your argument. First of all, it reduces the process of evaluation to a single criterion. Secondly, it expresses the idea that if it isn't the best, it isn't worth having. Accordingly, I shouldn't bother drinking a bottle of wine if it isn't a St-Emilion Grand Cru. Well, I hope you enjoy orange juice with dinner Foo.

Won't even bother getting into your arguments about aesthetics (subjective) or historical authenticity (nonsense).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Yup, another which watch thread- classic and $1500 max.