• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In need of MAJOR help

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I could REALLY use some help. I just graduated college and am starting medical school in the fall. The problem is...I dress like a college student. Most my shirts were free at basketball games, or cheap brands like Old Navy that fit like a tent. I wear cargo shorts and flip flops and generally I look like a homeless man.

But I need to start dressing like a freakin' grown up. I've decided to set aside $3000 to get a head start on a wardrobe overhaul. The only(nonathletic) things I think I ought to keep are 3 pairs of jeans that fit me well and are in good repair and one black polo shirt that also happens to fit me well.

I have a 42" chest and 34" waist, if that matters at all. edit: Also, 5'10", 190 pounds.

Seriously, if someone has the time to help me out, it would be GREATLY appreciated. The last thing I want to do is start professional school looking like some PBR-chuggin' frat boy.

mondayc

Reaction score
Since med school is a few months away, you have plenty of time to check out the WAYWT thread and decide what you like/don't like. There's also a "minimal closet" thread going around that covers what people consider staples.

BTW: College graduates should be capable readers to see all the stickies for noobs on this forum.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Oh I know, I'm a freakin' mess.

So imagine 75,400 registered users on SF decide to make a thread just like this, just for themselves. That's the "mess".

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lose weight and save your money for drinking
You're in med school, you'll need it..

Made in California

Reaction score
It's sort of like "If you give a moose a muffin".

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first two years, you can wear w/e you wear right now. I don't think anyone actually cares. The last two years, you'll be either in white coat/tie/dress shirt/slacks/dress shoes or scrubs. Save your money for step one/step two and interviews.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
It's sort of like "If you give a moose a muffin".
Why? It's possible the ingredients would contain something to cause a reaction and sometimes wild animals can become dependent on unhealthy food sources. This is one of the reasons not to feed wild birds bread because it is non-nutritional but fills them up. If they become dependent on a food that does not contain proper nutrition, you are putting them at risk. Let's just all keep our muffins to ourselves.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
Hi all, I could REALLY use some help. I just graduated college and am starting medical school in the fall. The problem is...I dress like a college student. Most my shirts were free at basketball games, or cheap brands like Old Navy that fit like a tent. I wear cargo shorts and flip flops and generally I look like a homeless man.

But I need to start dressing like a freakin' grown up. I've decided to set aside $3000 to get a head start on a wardrobe overhaul. The only(nonathletic) things I think I ought to keep are 3 pairs of jeans that fit me well and are in good repair and one black polo shirt that also happens to fit me well.

I have a 42" chest and 34" waist, if that matters at all. edit: Also, 5'10", 190 pounds.

Seriously, if someone has the time to help me out, it would be GREATLY appreciated. The last thing I want to do is start professional school looking like some PBR-chuggin' frat boy.

I'm gonna answer since i was trying to figure out my minimal thread answer.

Jeans
1 slim straight raw selvedge jean (actually don't have to be raw or selvedge). But safest answer is dark indigo with no distressing.
1 pair black slim jeans

Tops
white button down oxford, light blue button down oxford, and a gingham shirt.
10 or so white v-neck tees.

Outerwear
A peacoat in black or gray
a leather jacket
A harrington jacket

white or navy chucks
desert boots. beeswax or brown suede
a pair of beater pub crawl shoes
A pair of dress shoes e.g. black oxfords

any further questions directed here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107280

mondayc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by perish
hey, why do you want to change that, don't be a grown up as much as you can, soon you will be tired of that casual style, believe me! resume editing company i worked for also wanted me to change my stle, no way!
Damn these spammers are actually reading the thread. If only the noobs would read the stickies.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw that you're setting aside $3000.

Don't spend until you've browsed here for a couple of months.

You wanna spend the bulk of your money on outerwear and footwear.

Get a nice peacoat, i'm looking at a TOJ one right now. Nice outerwear usually costs at least $500 a piece

probably a nice leather too. round $600

You'll want a harrington style jacket for the warmer months around $100-300.

You can get some nice raw selvedge denim. $100-200 you'll want APC or naked and famous, $200-$300 you'd want something nice from selfedge.com.

Get some white achilles lo from Common Projects or something similar.

Get some nice oxford shoes, at least allen edmonds level.

Get some nice boots. Browse for examples.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This guy's going to med school and he has to go to an online forum to learn about a basic wardrobe? Lord help us, indeed. "Doctor, I have this growth..." "Hold on, I'll look it up online."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads