or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › High End Suede Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High End Suede Shoes

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers73 View Post
I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?

That's been my experience also. There are probably ways to care for them but I don't know what they are.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers73 View Post
I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?

Yes you are.

You are also a novice, newbie.

trying to keep suede shoes "clean" is like trying to keep linen clothing wrinkle-free.
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Yes you are.

You are also a novice, newbie.

trying to keep suede shoes "clean" is like trying to keep linen clothing wrinkle-free.

What is it that he is missing?
post #5 of 23
1. Suede protector spray
2. Suede bar
3. Suede brush
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
1. Suede protector spray
2. Suede bar
3. Suede brush

With the items listed above and with regular care, will a pair of suede shoes last as long as a pair of leather ones?
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
With the items listed above and with regular care, will a pair of suede shoes last as long as a pair of leather ones?

Yes, they just have a different kind of "patina".
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers73 View Post
I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?
are you running through mud or something? I love suede because they in my opinion keep better than leather (just my opinion).

they look great after being rained on, etc.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post
I love suede because they in my opinion keep better than leather (just my opinion).

they look great after being rained on, etc.
My suede shoes have held up well. I don't wear them often, but I also don't do anything special to keep them looking nice except brush them before each wear.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
My suede shoes have held up well. I don't wear them often, but I also don't do anything special to keep them looking nice except brush them before each wear.

I brush gently infrequently as well. good suede versus bad suede...?
post #11 of 23
One of the reasons for which I like suede shoes is that they require less care than leather shoes in order to look "acceptable", IMO; just a bit of brushing when you get home from work or leisure. But a disadvantage is that they don't age that well. Actually, some leather shoes, when polished, look fantastic also after many years of wear. They seem to acquire a nice "patina" with age. And that cannot be said about suede shoes (IMO).
Thus, just as the OP suggests, I tend to be more reluctant to spend a substantial amount of money on suede shoes than on leather shoes. All of my suede shoes are Carmina (which have a reasonable retail price) or Santoni, and my suede Santonis I bougth on sale.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
One of the reasons for which I like suede shoes is that they require less care than leather shoes in order to look "acceptable", IMO; just a bit of brushing when you get home from work or leisure. But a disadvantage is that they don't age that well. Actually, some leather shoes, when polished, look fantastic also after many years of wear. They seem to acquire a nice "patina" with age. And that cannot be said about suede shoes (IMO).
Thus, just as the OP suggests, I tend to be more reluctant to spend a substantial amount of money on suede shoes than on leather shoes. All of my suede shoes are Carmina (which have a reasonable retail price) or Santoni, and my suede Santonis I bougth on sale.
I have:

EG suede
Alden Suede
Peluso Suede
Carmina Suede
(and some others)

Carmina does the best suede of the bunch in my opinion
post #13 of 23
Anyone have any pics of old-ass suede shoes?

The suede on my girlfriend's clarks are in surprisingly good shape after two years, despite having been completely soaked by the rain several times.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Anyone have any pics of old-ass suede shoes?

The suede on my girlfriend's clarks are in surprisingly good shape after two years, despite having been completely soaked by the rain several times.

Paging srivats...


I've got suede from Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, Loake and Cheaney. The AS suede is probably my favourite. Nothing wrong with the EG suede, but unlike their calf it isn't noticeably better than the cheaper shoes.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
Paging srivats...


I've got suede from Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, Loake and Cheaney. The AS suede is probably my favourite. Nothing wrong with the EG suede, but unlike their calf it isn't noticeably better than the cheaper shoes.

I have a few pairs of EG suedes and what I've noticed is that there is lots of variation in quality. One pair has the some of the softest suede I've encountered while another pair is a step down from my Alfred Sargent suede. A bit odd there's not more quality control at EG with their suede. Perhaps that will change one of these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › High End Suede Shoes