• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones NYC - Lousy Experience

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been there yet? I went ready to buy a pair of brown shoes today, not just get my size down and buy off Pediwear. The store was as empty as a graveyard, but the sales staff acted like they couldn't be bothered. My foot is pretty narrow so I wanted to try on a few models to get the best fit, and I felt like I was actively discouraged from doing so. Bummer.

MasterplayerC

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen to me 2 weeks ago. I've been lurking here awhile researching a first legit shoe purchase and wanted to check out sizing and potentially buy on the spot if it was good.

Went at like 2PM on a Wednesday, cute sales girl (who appeared to be new) in the front and two guys in the back. Tried on a Westbourne in 7 but found out they don't make them any more narrow than E.

They didn't do a very good job of trying to convince me to try anything else on (though I'm young, and look it) so they probably thought I wasn't a serious buyer. Their loss, I would've bought on the spot if the fit had been right.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how were you dressed? i remember getting very, very different service at their old location when i went in with a pair of C & J shoes on my feet than I did the time I went in jeans. Obviously it shouldn't be that way and their service cost them a return visit from me, but perhaps that was the situation for you, too.

i was talking to an older gentleman there who was trying on shoes the day i was dressed down and remember clearly how, once the salesman realized i was actually a potential customer he showed immediate interest.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MasterplayerC
They didn't do a very good job of trying to convince me to try anything else on (though I'm young, and look it) so they probably thought I wasn't a serious buyer. Their loss, I would've bought on the spot if the fit had been right.
Yup, I'm sure that's what they thought of me as well. And if they were busy, I could at least see their point. But the store was completely empty. And you're right about the sales girl, she was pretty cute.
Originally Posted by nmprisons
how were you dressed? i remember getting very, very different service at their old location when i went in with a pair of C & J shoes on my feet than I did the time I went in jeans. Obviously it shouldn't be that way and their service cost them a return visit from me, but perhaps that was the situation for you, too. i was talking to an older gentleman there who was trying on shoes the day i was dressed down and remember clearly how, once the salesman realized i was actually a potential customer he showed immediate interest.
I looked pretty middle of the road: white dress shirt, tie, olive slacks, RM Williams boots. I get your point, though.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
white dress shirt, tie, olive slacks, RM Williams boots. I get your point, though.

No jacket? Maybe you looked like you were dressed to go to a high school homecoming dance.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No tie? Maybe he thought you were a manual labourer.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked retail in college and, for better of worse, you develop a formula in your head after a while where you know exactly what someone will buy (if anything) based on their looks/clothing.

You must have screamed "I'm not gonna walk out of here with any shoes."

Bottom line, everyone in retail does it, except at the lowest-common-denominator levels (GAP, Express, etc.)

Sad but true.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
I worked retail in college and, for better of worse, you develop a formula in your head after a while where you know exactly what someone will buy (if anything) based on their looks/clothing.

Bottom line, everyone in retail does it, except at the lowest-common-denominator levels (GAP, Express, etc.)

Sad but true.

...and very, very stupid!

Sigesti

Reaction score

Out of curiosity, what was it you looked for? Or was it more a general sense?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go somewhere else. I hate when things like this happen! Fukk 'em!

emc894

Reaction score

Sad but true.

What makes you look like you will buy something? Try on the shoes at Barney's. They are pretty good about it there and you can look at other things too.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
What makes you look like you will buy something? Try on the shoes at Barney's. They are pretty good about it there and you can look at other things too.

Barney's has some sick ass shoes!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sad but true.

I work in a high-end clothing store and I never judge anyone. People in shorts, tees and a pair of flip flops have sent thousands without batting an eye.

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Barney's has some sick ass shoes!

They have C and J's in handgrade 337, benchgrade 341 and 236 so at least you could know your size.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did I look for?

Good question.

Depended on the store.

My junior year, I worked at the two-story French Connection in Washington DC.

Honestly now? What I looked for was a guy with original style (this is when aviator sunglasses were coming into fashion, snugger-fitting pants, etc.) and a hot girlfriend. LOL. Truthfully. Those guys would drop insane cash. I made a beeline to this sort of douche and kept feeding him crap from our newest, most expensive lines until I got the credit card.

Who is the type to drop crazy cash a store that charges many hundreds or thousands for shoes? Could be the old man in the bespoke suit and trenchcoat with the $5,000 briefcase. Could the this guy's wife. Could be anything. But there is definitely a type, all I'm saying.

When I shop for suits/shoes, I dress up a bit. Have to. No tie, but maybe a navy sportcoat, tailored khakis (slim fit, no break, 2-inch cuff), sloops/loafers (no socks), checked sportshirt, etc. The business-guy-on-holiday thingie. As was stated earlier in this thread, sure, you get guys in flip-flops buying Brioni suits. It happens. But I don't want to have to prove myself to get attention from a sales associate. I want to look the part so that I'm fighting them off. I've been on the other side of the equation, so I know how it works! Not endorsing the model, just explaining it from my perspective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads