or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers - Page 2

post #16 of 79
This is a blue linen jacket with cream colored white pants. It is not orphaned.
post #17 of 79
^^^This one looks really good, IMO. The combo is put together nicely where the items complement one another very well. This jacket is an exception to the pinstripe jackets I usually see. Well done.
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc4golf View Post
Those of you who think that there is no such thing as a striped blazer and that it must communicate orpahend suit jacket should click on this link. Does this look like an orpahened suit coat?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...56&postcount=8

That may be a striped blazer, but it is not a pin-striped blazer, which if you look at the thread title is clearly the subject of this thread.

Not to mention that unless you're a member of a cricket or boating team wearing a blazer like the kind you link to would usually look incredibly out of place.
post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
^^^This one looks really good, IMO. The combo is put together nicely where the items complement one another very well. This jacket is an exception to the pinstripe jackets I usually see. Well done.

Photos like that are the reason why for years and years the solution to pants of a suit dying was to wear the jacket with white flannel trousers.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc4golf View Post
Those of you who think that there is no such thing as a striped blazer and that it must communicate orpahend suit jacket should click on this link. Does this look like an orpahened suit coat?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...56&postcount=8

he looks like an escaped convict or a clown. not a great example.

personally, i DO sometimes wear orphaned pinstriped suit jackets with jeans, and i fully expect people to believe it's an orphaned suit jacket. but i don't care as it's with jeans and it looks good.

i would never, ever wear a pinstriped jacket as a sportcoat in a business setting, though. sends an entirely different signal.

more generally i do agree that pinstriped jackets scream orphaned suit jacket.

now, when it's more of a chalkstripe, and the material is flannell-y, tweed-y, or linen-y, it can very easily pass itself off as a sportcoat, and i do in fact have a couple of such jackets.
post #21 of 79
All blazers have stripes.
post #22 of 79
Some boldly-striped sports coats are known as regatta or boating blazers--the name originates from the 1800s when, in England, they were worn as uniforms for rowing or boating clubs.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=158842
post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideknot View Post
I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. However, whether there have been pinstriped sport coats for decades doesn't change the fact that they still communicate "orphaned suit coat." Your point about the fabric is well taken, but I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons.

I have a pinstripe light blue linen&cotton Loro Piana cloth jacket that definitely does not look like an orphaned suit jacket (and even less like an orphaned "business" suit jacket, unless you are into kinda weir business). Actually, I was thinking of having a suit made of the cloth and my tailor said that it would just be too much (and he has sure made me a couple of pinstripe business suits, but of quite different clothsw). I have also seen some woolen jacket cloths with kind of bold chalk stripes that would seem to make for nice jackets, without the "orphaned" look: nobody would think that someone would have been tempted to walk around in that jacket and with trousers with those same stripes.

So, as someone said: depending on the cloth, it will look like an orphaned suit jacket, or not.
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
This is a blue linen jacket with cream colored white pants. It is not orphaned.


The linen jacket I mentioned is like that, but in a lighter blue tone. And I always were it with off white or cream coloured cotton trousers.
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post
http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/sui...ubicle-jacket/

I think this jacket works. I agree I have seen many "orphans" but there are exceptions.

As far as I can see from the photo, this jacket has a suit look.
post #26 of 79
The last pinstriped blazer I used was in high school. I might get a pinstriped DB sometime soon.
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
Rarely looks good. Sometimes can be passable with jeans, but definitely not with most other kinds of trouser, and even with jeans a plain or check would always be much better.
I used to do it when I was younger, for nights out. I think on a younger man, early to mid twenties it can look OK, maybe a bit fashionable forward for some but no harm done. The striped Linen pictured above is fine as the cloth trumps the pattern.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
This is a blue linen jacket with cream colored white pants. It is not orphaned.


Still looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me.

There seems to me to be a continuum between casual and formal. I see separates leaning toward the casual end of that scale while the modern suit occupies the more formal one. In terms of cloth, linen trends towards the casual; in terms of style, things like besom pockets and ticket pockets trend towards the dressier. This linen jacket looks like it is trying to span the spectrum by using a casual fabric in a more formal style. To my eye, the fabric pattern and stylistic details of this jacket trump the cloth's fiber content. Because of that, it looks more suit-like than separate-like. Obviously, it works for some, I'm just not one. Thank God, it would be boring world if we all dressed the same. With patch pockets, lose the ticket pocket, and a chalk stripe as opposed to a pin stripe (though that really doesn't look like a pin stripe to my eyes) it might work better for me.
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
This is a blue linen jacket with cream colored white pants. It is not orphaned.


Would look better without the stripes. This is a great pictures inspite of the stripes not because of the stripes
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideknot View Post
Still looks like an orphaned suit jacket to me.

There seems to me to be a continuum between casual and formal. I see separates leaning toward the casual end of that scale while the modern suit occupies the more formal one. In terms of cloth, linen trends towards the casual; in terms of style, things like besom pockets and ticket pockets trend towards the dressier. This linen jacket looks like it is trying to span the spectrum by using a casual fabric in a more formal style. To my eye, the fabric pattern and stylistic details of this jacket trump the cloth's fiber content. Because of that, it looks more suit-like than separate-like. Obviously, it works for some, I'm just not one. Thank God, it would be boring world if we all dressed the same. With patch pockets, lose the ticket pocket, and a chalk stripe as opposed to a pin stripe (though that really doesn't look like a pin stripe to my eyes) it might work better for me.

ticket and hacking pockets and the other accoutrements that formerly communicated some degree of exclusivity / distinctiveness / quality (pick stitching being another) have by now been completely bastardized by downmarket brands as gimmicks to make their jackets stand out (the philosophy being, the more tricked-out the jacket, the more fashionable it is). i don't think ticket pockets are formal any longer. the H&M's and Zara's of the world have seen to that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers