or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
In the past few years ive had various opportunities of purchasing "sport coats" in pinstriped patterns from great designers at very cheap prices. However, i always have had the notion that a pinstriped sport coat is actually the jacket to a suit and not an actual sport coat. Furthermore, I feel that it would look odd, if worn with say jeans, or a pair of solid colored pants.

Am I being a bit too over analytical in this thinking? Is it perfetrly acceptable to wear a black/navy/whatever color stripe/chalk stripe/pinstripe sportcoat with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, or with a pair of solid colored slacks?

-J
post #2 of 79
There's no such thing as a "pinstriped sport coat/blazer." It's an "orphaned" suit jacket being pawned off as "high fashion." Most people won't care enough about what you're wearing to notice, but a few people will probably have a nice giggle at your expense if you were to wear it in public.
post #3 of 79
I agree. I've thought about picking one up too but decided not to for the same reason.

When I see guys wearing them, I have the same reaction: ie. it looks like an orphaned suit jacket.
post #4 of 79
Rarely looks good. Sometimes can be passable with jeans, but definitely not with most other kinds of trouser, and even with jeans a plain or check would always be much better.
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitonotik View Post
Am I being a bit too over analytical in this thinking? Is it perfetrly acceptable to wear a black/navy/whatever color stripe/chalk stripe/pinstripe sportcoat with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, or with a pair of solid colored slacks?

-J
I'm not a fan and would never wear one.
post #6 of 79
Thread Starter 
Alas!!! Thank you for echoing my sentiments on this. There was a very nice Kiton blazer here on the B&S and was listed as a sport coat. But I just didnt want to pull the trigger on it because of my feeling toward single "pinstriped sport coats". If any were to pass for a real sport coat, I would have to say it's probably the cotton, cotton/linen blend pinstriped sport coats that RL usually puts out. Agreed?
post #7 of 79
It depends on how wide the stripe is, and also the fabric. It needs to err on the side of cricket or boating stripe in order to be OK.
post #8 of 79
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerich View Post
There's no such thing as a "pinstriped sport coat/blazer." It's an "orphaned" suit jacket being pawned off as "high fashion." Most people won't care enough about what you're wearing to notice, but a few people will probably have a nice giggle at your expense if you were to wear it in public.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.

I may be mistaken but don't you have one with suede elbow patches? It was really nice.
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.

+1

Finally someone with some sense.

Come on, a pinstriped blazer with anything other than matching pants will simply lead to the assumption that you are mix and matching and the pantalones are at home.
post #11 of 79
I have a navy or midnight blue sports coat with faint reddish stripes on it. It was never part of a suit to my knowledge. I got it years ago for Christmas. It was made by American Eagle. It looks fine with chinos (any color but black or the darkest of dark blues,) or jeans. It's a rather heavy wool, though it's so worn by now and been cleaned or brushed so much (pets) it's probably lost some of its mass and weight, though it is still rather obvious that it is a sports jacket and not a suit jacket. If need be, I can take pictures. I can't guarantee that the stripes would show up, but they're noticeable to the eye.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.

I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. However, whether there have been pinstriped sport coats for decades doesn't change the fact that they still communicate "orphaned suit coat." Your point about the fabric is well taken, but I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons.

There may be another angle to this, however. Even if the jacket is part of a broken suit, is that necessarily a style faux pas? Your remark about "having to know how to wear it" is bang on. Does the jacket work with what your wearing? If so, who cares what its origins are?
post #13 of 79
Those of you who think that there is no such thing as a striped blazer and that it must communicate orpahend suit jacket should click on this link. Does this look like an orpahened suit coat?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...56&postcount=8
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideknot View Post
I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons. ?
I have, and used to wear a black and white (a purplish white) pinstripe (well multiple chalk striped) jacket made of soft flannel-like wool with velvet details - trim above the pockets and at the cuffs. It may in retrospect not have been a good idea but despite businesslike colours it was definitely not a suit jacket.
post #15 of 79
http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/sui...ubicle-jacket/

I think this jacket works. I agree I have seen many "orphans" but there are exceptions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers