• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting married: What to wear?

panorama

Reaction score
This is my first post on here, so please go easy!

I am going to be getting married in the next few months and am looking for some advice on what I should wear. I am not a big expert on suits and usually wear informal, progressive stuff in my free time, but I have started to take more of an interest in formal wear over the last few months.

I am thinking that I would like to wear something slim fitting and traditional for the wedding. I am thinking of wearing a grey coloured suit. Would that be suitable for a wedding? What kind of shade would be most suitable?

I was looking at some Kurt Geiger loafers that I liked. A friend has also showed me a few Church brogues. They look great, but I consider brogues to be more of a work shoe...

I will have more questions later, but would appreciate any suggestions now. I guess I am just as interested in "dress etiquette" for wedding wear, as much as style/co-ordination tips...

Once again, sorry if I appear as a clueless beginner, that is what I am but I've always been into other types of clothes. I now want to learn more about suits!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A dark grey suit would be good I think, personally, I like navy better. I wouldn't wear loafers, they would be too casual for me for a wedding, why not wear an oxford?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will refrain from being a total dick as I am developing something of a reputation.

If you use the search function to look for threads about marriage and wedding attire, you will find dozens of topics that cover this already.

If you stay on the forum for a few months and browse regularly, you will learn the basics of formalized dressing.

If you start multiple threads like this you will gain enemies.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by panorama

This is my first post on here, so please go easy!

I am going to be getting married in the next few months and am looking for some advice

My advice is not to get married.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
My advice is not to get married.

+1 - Don't do it!

Choosing the wrong suit for the wedding might be a mistake, but one that can (and will) be forgotten. Not to mention it's one that most people won't care about. Taking this plunge- committing to this person- is going to be a mistake you're never going to forget, and so I think we should focus on that.

What are the pros here? Like, what will you get out of marrying this person that you're not getting already?

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I will refrain from being a total dick as I am developing something of a reputation.

It's his first post for heavens' sake!

Wear something you will be comfortable in and not too fashionable remember your grand-children will still see the pictures 50 years from now. A grey suit with a white shirt a smart tie and black loafers sounds fine to me though loafers covers a lot of ground I am assuming they are more at this end if the spectrum in black.
http://www.gazianogirling.com/monaco.html

panorama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood

Wear something you will be comfortable in and not too fashionable remember your grand-children will still see the pictures 50 years from now. A grey suit with a white shirt a smart tie and black loafers sounds fine to me though loafers covers a lot of ground I am assuming they are more at this end if the spectrum in black.

The shoes are quite similar to those, though those are nicer!

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
+1 - Don't do it!

Choosing the wrong suit for the wedding might be a mistake, but one that can (and will) be forgotten. Not to mention it's one that most people won't care about. Taking this plunge- committing to this person- is going to be a mistake you're never going to forget, and so I think we should focus on that.

What are the pros here? Like, what will you get out of marrying this person that you're not getting already?

See, now this is a dick. Here is a guy who not twenty-four hours ago started a thread to whine because he couldn't buy a gay periwinkle blazer made of rayon and "boning" that he saw on a tv show made for women aged 16-24. He is likely a girl-shy, pimpled-faced teenager and undoubtedly unfit to be dispensing either fashion or relationship advice.

Congratulations on convincing someone to marry you. You must be quite pleased.

Originally Posted by culverwood

I wasn't too mean, I just believe in nipping problems in the bud.
teacha.gif

Astan

Reaction score
Depends on how traditional you want to be. rocking a morning suit or stroller would be the bee's knees but people probably wont get it.

Yeah, dark suit, white shirt, dark tie, oxford shoes, done. Just make sure everything fits well, you dont want any drape on your suit for this kind of thing, actually you never want drape, I hate drape.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mother of the bride/groom clothes from a wedding shop are almost without exception dire and overpriced. Just buy a smart dress or suit from somewhere you are used to and as you have said keep away from pastels and creams.

Made in California

Reaction score
Here is a guy who not twenty-four hours ago started a thread to whine because he couldn't buy a gay periwinkle blazer made of rayon and "boning" that he saw on a tv show made for women aged 16-24. He is likely a girl-shy, pimpled-faced teenager and undoubtedly unfit to be dispensing either fashion or relationship advice.

Now this is being much more of a dick. Would you rather I be complaining about a blazer or a child separation dispute? Considering that the divorce rate is 50% here in the states, I hardly think I'm being cynical. I don't know whether OP resides here, but I believe I am correct in saying our divorce rate is higher than anywhere in the world. I don't know OP at all, so not having any extra info aside from that he's posting on a style forum, it's a coin flip as to whether they'll stay together.

I also think it's safe to say that happy couples do not get divorced, while plenty of people stay in marriages where they are unhappy, so I also don't think it's a stretch at all to say that if you get married, odds are good that it will not end happily. My post is (sort of) joking in that I don't expect to convince OP of anything, however my questions were definitely not just trolling.

If you don't know someone at all, have access to the same facts I do, and still advise them to get married with no extra knowledge, you are the one unfit to give relationship advice.

Congratulations on convincing someone to marry you.

And this is patronizing. I went off the assumption that OP was a charming guy who would have no trouble "convincing" someone to marry him.

Martin Stall

Reaction score
Son of a...!!!! What a thread!

Totally off-topic, or maybe entirely not: I was told just yesterday that studies have shown that the chances of marriage enduring throughout life etc, is inversely proportional to the amount of money spent on the entire wedding day etc. So, as a (shoot myself in the foot) tailor, and a nice feller, I would say: Jeans. T-shirt. Burger for dinner. And lively very happily, and very ever after. Jeans and T can be replaced for a cheap and decent suit, but don't you dare get champagne with that burger. Cava, if you must have bubbles.

Canal Directo

Reaction score

If you use the search function to look for threads about marriage and wedding attire, you will find dozens of topics that cover this already.

If you stay on the forum for a few months and browse regularly, you will learn the basics of formalized dressing.

+1
LURK MOAR n00bs!

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=17
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

http://www.styleforum.net/search.php?searchid=7499193

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the interest of helping the young man...

A few things you need to consider:

1) General formality of the wedding; are you getting married at the local cathedral and then having the reception at a huge ballroom, or are you getting married in someone's backyard?

2) What is the bride wearing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads