or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about silk knots and matching shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about silk knots and matching shirts

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I'm aware that for a casual office setting, it would be more appropriate to have your silk knots match your shirt. However, which colors should I purchase if I have white and light blue French cuff shirts.

If it makes any difference, my ties come in a range of colors.

Here's someone from eBay who has a lot of combination of colors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320003317868

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
post #2 of 18
Just choose a color that complements the shirt or tie. In the case of a white and blue shirt, a darker shade of blue for the knot is a pretty safe choice.

As for that ebay seller, see the following thread for some comments on the quality of his products:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12394
post #3 of 18
No matching, try a contrasting color silk knots.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Any great suggestions as to where I should pick up silk knots instead of eBay?

post #5 of 18
Interesting about the China seller of knots. I've been using his (six pair) for over a year and I have had no problem. I keep them side by side with ones from Brooks, Charvet and some others. I do find them indistinguishable from the others except Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!). I put them on the shirt before I wear it, so they get a good stretch and I have no issues. If anything, I like the small space that they have between knots as it creates the type of cuff that I like. Maybe the quaity has changed since then. It's impossible to beat at $3.33/pair. At that price, you should just consider them disposable, sort of like a Gillette razor. After a few uses if they do get ruined, toss them and grab a new pair, just like a razor. Short of using the same pair every single day, I would believe that even at the worse quality possible you should be able to get 5-10 uses out of them.
post #6 of 18
gmail: Banana Republic sells silk knots in lots of four (three maybe?) pair for a little more than $20. I'll probably get a box myself. I doubt there's that much to go wrong with silk knots, though I'm sure the cufflink connoisseurs here may say different.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!).
Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.
post #8 of 18
You should get your cuffs to go with your ties or squares, especially as your shirt colors are very neutral.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.
You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks.
post #10 of 18
Brooks Brothers has a large "candy jar" full of silk knots on the counter near the register. 3 pairs for $20, IIRC. If you're ordering from Charles Tyrwhitt, add some silk knots (shipping will probably be outrageous for only silk knots).
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmail
You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks.


The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso
The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.
I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.
Are you familiar with the silk knots that we're discussing?
post #14 of 18
Yes. They silk knots sold by various vendors for a wide range of prices. I purchased mine from ebay because the seller had more colors available than any where else. Some shirts of my shirts actually came with free pairs.
post #15 of 18
I bought about 20 of these from this ebay seller. Quality matches silk knots I bought in Paris a few years ago. only problem with this seller is he sent the wrong color for one pair. oh well. can not beat price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Question about silk knots and matching shirts