• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shows with wider toe boxes

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father is looking to buy a relatively good pair of shoes (around AE quality). He went to an AE store and none of the lasts fit him well.

He needs a very large toe box, but his feet are very narrow. Can anyone recommend a last/maker that makes shoes like this?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crockett and Jones 317 last.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budapesters have a higher toe box but I am having a mental block suggesting a make/model.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Budapesters have a higher toe box but I am having a mental block suggesting a make/model.

good suggestion, but i fear, he will not be able to try them on and they are more expensive than i.e. AE.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
My father is looking to buy a relatively good pair of shoes (around AE quality). He went to an AE store and none of the lasts fit him well.

He needs a very large toe box, but his feet are very narrow. Can anyone recommend a last/maker that makes shoes like this?

Narrow in the heel and ball but wide at the toes?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imo, the Loake Capital last fits this description. The toebox is quite roomy, yet the heel/ankle area is narrower than what I've had from other UK makers. Convert 1 full size US/UK.

Alternately, shoes made on true combination lasts might work for him, i.e. Alden. No experience with their lasts, so I can't comment further.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden. Barrie last. Van last. Visit an Alden retailer to be fitted.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input!

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Narrow in the heel and ball but wide at the toes?

Yes.

Originally Posted by jrd617
Crockett and Jones 317 last.

Might be a bit expensive, but I'll recommend it.

Originally Posted by fritzl
good suggestion, but i fear, he will not be able to try them on and they are more expensive than i.e. AE.

Right.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Imo, the Loake Capital last fits this description. The toebox is quite roomy, yet the heel/ankle area is narrower than what I've had from other UK makers. Convert 1 full size US/UK.

Alternately, shoes made on true combination lasts might work for him, i.e. Alden. No experience with their lasts, so I can't comment further.

Originally Posted by Dewey

Thanks, I've recommended he try Alden. I'll look into Loake for him.

mjc

Reaction score
The toe box can often be stretched a lot, too.

- Mike

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

Not narrow in the heel, are they?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Not narrow in the heel, are they?

Yeah I just saw them at the local shoe store (Sherman Brothers). They're very blobby and not narrow in the heel. The SA mentioned that the AE SAs probably dind't fit him correctly, since they have so many lasts. I think he might be right. Any experiences with 4 last?

Originally Posted by mjc
The toe box can often be stretched a lot, too.

- Mike

Do you or anyone else have experience stretching shoes?

EDIT: Just spoke with him. His problem is that his little toe on his feet is the problem, not the ball. Interesting...

MarcellHUN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

+1 This what I would suggest also.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... the Vass in the Budapest last (this is what you're referring to, right?) seems to have the widest toe box I've ever seen. Good idea. Alas, it's a lot more expensive than AE though. With his salary, he can afford it, but I doubt he'll opt for it. It's around 1k retail, right?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden Tru-Balance last is great for those who have wider feet in front but no so much in the heel.

While the idea and indeed practice of having shoes stretched is very commonplace, I do not like it one bit. Logic tells you that the shoemaker has optimized the pressure and stretch on the the uppers and stitches during lasting and attempts to make pull it further after the shoe has already been constructed is likely to weaken the structure of the construction or the leather.

That is also why manufacturers of sports equipment tell you not to over-inflate soccer and rugby balls and to release air pressure when storing them for any length of time so as not to stress the stitches or seams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads