or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pantherella wool socks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pantherella wool socks?

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
What exactly is the difference between wool and cotton socks? (Asked by a person from a tropical country where wool socks are not used.)

I'm told Pantherellas are the best of the lot, and what's a good price for these?
post #2 of 41
A quick search would have revealed that wool socks stay drier and provide better cushioning and that some members prefer them even in tropical climates and summers. Several threads about Pantherellas being bought for cheap at STP and discounters would've also appeared on the computer screen, replete with prices and members' opinions on how much they would and wouldn't pay for socks. You might want to try it.
post #3 of 41
Thread Starter 
Okay, okay. To be honest, I'm a little confused by the old threads. Pretty conservative Pantherellas are on STP for about $17 to 19 apiece, cotton and merino wool ones. However, some old threads say $5 to 12 is the good bargain while others say something below $20 is good.

How do you specifically rate the $17 to 19 price for merino, in mid-2006?
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Okay, okay. To be honest, I'm a little confused by the old threads. Pretty conservative Pantherellas are on STP for about $17 to 19 apiece, cotton and merino wool ones. However, some old threads say $5 to 12 is the good bargain while others say something below $20 is good.

How do you specifically rate the $17 to 19 price for merino, in mid-2006?

Jose: I live in a tropical climate and wear Pantheralla wool blends every day, except for Fridays, when I wear Pantherella cotton socks. Their wool blends are great in the tropics and a good bargain at <$20 on STP. Buy without reservation, both in cotton and in the wool blends.
post #5 of 41
Thread Starter 
Just to clarify all those stories about $5 to 10 Pantherella wool socks, might it be accurate to say that these are not common finds in West Coast discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, or East Coast equivalents like Filene's?

I ask because I have zero wool socks and it occurred to me to invest in several pairs for the colder Boston months. Buying even half a dozen pairs even at STP's discounted <$20 price, however, is a signficant amount, and I'm in no hurry.

Then again, when I was in California last, I only saw one Marshall's with Pantherellas, and they were really zany colors in the 10-13 size.

Also, while I'm asking on the subject anyway, I saw a bunch of complaints from people who were size US 10 and 11 and bought the 10-13 size. I wear US 9, so the regular size should be fine on me?
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
Just to clarify all those stories about $5 to 10 Pantherella wool socks, might it be accurate to say that these are not common finds in West Coast discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Maxx, or East Coast equivalents like Filene's?

I ask because I have zero wool socks and it occurred to me to invest in several pairs for the colder Boston months. Buying even half a dozen pairs even at STP's discounted <$20 price, however, is a signficant amount, and I'm in no hurry.

Then again, when I was in California last, I only saw one Marshall's with Pantherellas, and they were really zany colors in the 10-13 size.

Also, while I'm asking on the subject anyway, I saw a bunch of complaints from people who were size US 10 and 11 and bought the 10-13 size. I wear US 9, so the regular size should be fine on me?

Jose, with all due respect, I think you are obsessing too much. These are freaking socks we are talking about. Just go to a Marshalls and stock up.
post #7 of 41
I hope a thread on the proper "east coast" underwear isnt forthcoming....after all Jose is an asian coming to Boston from a tropical country.
post #8 of 41
The price seems a little for a real discount.
Pantherella cotton socks are usually thicker and have a smooth finish, while the wool ones are often thinner and a have a plush feel and finish.
post #9 of 41
In my experience, Pantherellas are common at both TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Usually they start out at $15, sit there for a good while, then get marked down, first to $12, then $10, then $7. I've seen a few make it down to $5, but they usually go fairly quickly once they get to $7.

Bear in mind that Pantherella has a variety of lines, some better than others.

If you're looking for a less expensive sock to stock up on, Gold Toes are decent, and can often be found in three packs for $5-7.
post #10 of 41
Thread Starter 
Doc, I'll be in California in the second week of August and I think I'll poke around. I was there last year in November to December, and I guess that's why I couldn't find anything.

Could you elaborate on the variety of lines? From reading the old posts, I got the impression that the cashmere is incredible but wears out very, very quickly. The merino wool socks are probably the best deal. Would this be accurate?
post #11 of 41
The merinos are definitely more durable and easier to wash & dry than the cashmeres. I usually wait until there's a 20-30% STP coupon, then stock up. Brooks Brothers merino socks and the NM housebrand socks are also good, so you might score some there on sale in the fall/winter.
post #12 of 41
Thread Starter 
To clarify, there are good sales for winter wear even towards the end of summer, right? When might be the last time to score something before it gets cold?

Doc, incidentally, do the markdowns you describe come at a certain time of year, or is it just different for every store?
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
To clarify, there are good sales for winter wear even towards the end of summer, right? When might be the last time to score something before it gets cold?
Most stores are receiving their Fall/Winter merchandise now. These items will not go on sale until January.

Discounters such as Filene's Basement will be your best bet.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I hope a thread on the proper "east coast" underwear isnt forthcoming....after all Jose is an asian coming to Boston from a tropical country.

Wait...Jose is an Asian from a tropical country?
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Wait...Jose is an Asian from a tropical country?

Actually, no. . . .

Jose is an Asian lawyer from a tropical country who is going to Boston. It is always important to get our facts correct.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pantherella wool socks?