or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official new iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official new iPhone 4 - Page 3

post #31 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post
A 300+ dpi screen should make text extremely crisp.

EDIT: Here's a closeup of new vs old.

That's nice and everything, but like I said, I've never had trouble reading text on my iphone and it was never even a concern for me. And while I like resolution in general (I have dual 24" monitors), I see no real resolution benefit. I'm still gonna have to zoom in to read websites. Even thuogh it can fit more stuff on the screen, the text will still be tiny, so... bleh. All that other crap they do like zoom in on pics and stuff in the video is irrelevant to me. If I want to look at pictures, I'm going to do it on my desktop. the video phone is admittedly kinda cool if you have family and kids and shit, but there's nobody I really want to do a video call with.

Now battery life is a tangible benefit, and while more is always nice, i can live with what I have. It's certainly not worth paying hundreds of dollars for the new phone when i have a 3gs.

The upgrade probably makes sense for someone with a 3G, but not with the 3GS imo.
post #32 of 2394
Does it have B-berry mail functionality yet?
post #33 of 2394
I've had my eye on the EVO for months, and now that it's out, I'm not so sure anymore. Apparently the battery life is not very good at all, and that makes sense, given the monster screen it has to power. Plus, the thing is huge, closer to a tablet than a phone. Also, kind of a bummer that the EVO shipped w/o Froyo, but I guess that's coming soon enough. I'm not sure what to do. I have an upgrade credit on Sprint, but I'm no longer on contract so I can go anywhere... maybe to the iphone 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
I'll be getting the EVO once I get back from a month tour abroad. Evo: 4G Video Calling over 3G/4G Presumably Easier Tweaking Removeable Storage and Battery Presumably Better Camera/Flash (two LEDs for the flash) No iTunes No iTard iP4: Thinner and smaller Higher res screen Video Editing I doubt the iP4 will be able to take advantage of 802.11n due to device/memory lag. Honestly, I really wish that HPalm would come out with a new device asap, as WebOS pwns both Android and iPhone OS in many ways; i.e. great multitasking and universal search. I also really like the touchstone inductive charging and a physical keyboard. Alas, there's no news of a new WebOS device and my Pre is feeling slightly dated compared with the EVO.
post #34 of 2394
Going to buy it, and probably an iPad 3G as well. Overkill, but both will help with productivity for me, I need a large handheld presentation screen when I work with people to get ideas done, as well as a large format email station (iPad) and then I'll have the smaller iPhone for doing basic things like SMS/video conferencing with my peoples* etc, etc. I have a Blackberry and in my country they didn't cripple it function-wise out of the box, they actually imported it straight, put some Korean letters on the keyboard and transposed the software in Korean, and I think they didn't put enough memory into it or something, mine is always showing the clock and freezing. The app store though, they turned off for paid apps, because of int'l banking and billing, and Blackberry mail here is through a notoriously terrible email server who must've bought rights, that I don't have an address for, nor can I change anything up, because billing for all the apps is not enabled... so it's worthless. It also cost $900 here and costs $120/month for like 100MB of data. The iPhone 3GS 32GB, which all my friends have, is free, and costs about $90/month, and actually works. *I am excited about the facetime thing, but then again, everybody has Macbooks and iMacs, yet nobody ever video conferences with me. Maybe I should put on a shirt when I use the computer.
post #35 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Does it have B-berry mail functionality yet?

Yes if you're using a Microsoft enterprise mail server.

--Andre
post #36 of 2394
The physical design looks so crap.
post #37 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Sounds like it's just Apple's own branch of in-phone app advertising banners and such.
I see. So the idea is that you can get "free" verions of apps supported by ads? Sounds annoying.

That being said, I wish Apple's competitors would stop eating shit and actually make a legitimate alternative. I have to give Apple credit for consistently leading the curve for the past 5 years.

Can anyone see a downside to upgrading my girlfriend's ipod touch (newest gen) to the newest OS?
post #38 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
i want to punch every wanker in that ad.

it looks nice.

but i'm sick of hearing "...will revolutionise the way we communicate/browse/work/masturbate".
bloody hell.

video calling? ummm am i missing something? has that not been out for years?


symbian (nokia) and windows mobile have had it for years... 3-5 years in fact. android has it.

in east asia and europe its in use. it has never taken off in US because we do not have the cellular infrastructure to support it. iphone video calling doesnt remedy this - its actually not done over cellular nework (wi-fi only) and only across other iphones
post #39 of 2394
I've had mobile phones with the front cam since years, most of my friends too, didn't receive even one video call. Not going to happen. Usually here UMTS connection in the region is not too awesome, when you're over in Switzerland with the German phone you pay 0,15 € per 10kb which makes it inafordable.

I'm always the one bashing Apple in the office but I have to say I'm really teased. I'd love that seamless out-of-the-box experience of the iPhone where things are made to work together. Only alternative would be an Android smartphone though I'm not sure how their app market compares.

I'm writing this post on my HTC Touch Pro2 which made me hate WindowsMobile with all my heart.
post #40 of 2394
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/06/...-the-iphone-4/

Pretty good article about the iPhone 4.

By the way, the renaming of iPhone OS to iOS is retarded cause it's a stupid name IMO but I guess it makes sense since the OS is now on 3 devices; only one of which is a phone.
post #41 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

but i'm sick of hearing "...will revolutionise the way we communicate/browse/work/masturbate".
bloody hell.

It will though; you can now see each others faces in real time while beating off in the toilets at work to a large array of porn that you may freely browse on iPhone OS 4, on an incredibly detailed screen. Good for nymphomaniac couples that just can't stand to be away from each other for more than 10 minutes at a time.
post #42 of 2394
Yeah, basically the only people who will use video chat are long-distance couples who need phone sex.
post #43 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
Yes if you're using a Microsoft enterprise mail server.

--Andre

B-berry gives the choice of an enterprise solution or a stand alone desk top "redirector." We use the redirector. Do you know if the iPhone will have this feature or is further enterprise stuff needed to work with the Exchange server?
post #44 of 2394
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I see. So the idea is that you can get "free" verions of apps supported by ads? Sounds annoying. That being said, I wish Apple's competitors would stop eating shit and actually make a legitimate alternative. I have to give Apple credit for consistently leading the curve for the past 5 years. Can anyone see a downside to upgrading my girlfriend's ipod touch (newest gen) to the newest OS?
I believe free apps have always had ads, except its via the company that Apple bought for iAd. I know free Android Apps have banner ads and such. It's not very intrusive in my experience with the Android ones.
post #45 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
That's nice and everything, but like I said, I've never had trouble reading text on my iphone and it was never even a concern for me. And while I like resolution in general (I have dual 24" monitors), I see no real resolution benefit. I'm still gonna have to zoom in to read websites. Even thuogh it can fit more stuff on the screen, the text will still be tiny, so... bleh. All that other crap they do like zoom in on pics and stuff in the video is irrelevant to me. If I want to look at pictures, I'm going to do it on my desktop. the video phone is admittedly kinda cool if you have family and kids and shit, but there's nobody I really want to do a video call with.

Now battery life is a tangible benefit, and while more is always nice, i can live with what I have. It's certainly not worth paying hundreds of dollars for the new phone when i have a 3gs.

The upgrade probably makes sense for someone with a 3G, but not with the 3GS imo.
Pretty much sums up my view of the new phone and my rationale for sticking with the 3GS I have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official new iPhone 4