or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official new iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official new iPhone 4 - Page 14

post #196 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakz View Post
I've read a lot of requests for iPhones with larger screens, and I'm in that group too. A larger screen draws more power, though (see the EVO 4G), so Apple won't add it until they solve that problem or improve battery tech.

So don't expect a big screen for another year or two. Knowing Apple, they'll add a larger screen as an incremental upgrade, so the "iPhone HD" or whatever is just an iPhone 4 with a larger screen.

I agree here. I'm definitely one that wants a larger screen. In fact for the past week I've been going back and forth debating whether I'll upgrade to iPhone 4 (I have a 3G now) or opt for a Droid X. I'd only get the Droid X because the screen is substantially bigger and I'm confident I'll have a lot more less dropped calls.

But.....the iPhone OS is like great sex with a woman. I'm too content in that regard to give it up. While Android doesn't look awful or anything, I'm almost positive I won't like it as much as iOS4. So I think I'm willing to swallow a smaller screen size and get the guts I really want. Also the new screen is really amazing in person. Text is so much sharper. It would be even better on a 3.8" or 4" screen. Hell maybe even 4.3" like the Droid X. But I think your point is right. They won't go bigger screen wise until they can create phones that have good battery life. And I keep hearing the iPhone 4 is a big boost battery wise, which is huge for me on those weekend late nights. So yeah, the screen will get bigger in due time. Like next summer or the following for sure.
post #197 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
So yeah, the screen will get bigger in due time. Like next summer or the following for sure.

How much bigger can it get? I don't have one, but they look like they're all screen. I can't imagine they'll make the entire phone larger.
post #198 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
I can't imagine they'll make the entire phone larger.

Why not? HTC and Motorola are doing this now to support 4-inch screens. At some point Apple will probably want to follow suit.
post #199 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakz View Post
Why not? HTC and Motorola are doing this now to support 4-inch screens. At some point Apple will probably want to follow suit.

+1

One of the main reasons I will be finally picking up an EVO 4G tomorrow is because the iPhone didn't get a larger screen with version 4.

There have to be more people like me out there.

I have no doubt there will be an iPhone HD or whatever in the future.
post #200 of 2394
picked up 2 tonight
post #201 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post
picked up 2 tonight

For you and the missus? Or looking to eBay one?
post #202 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
How much bigger can it get? I don't have one, but they look like they're all screen. I can't imagine they'll make the entire phone larger.

Future iPhone models will sport a larger screen and thinner depth. The EVO and Droid X have 4.3" screens. I guarantee you there are many people who will opt for those phones because they prefer the larger screen.

As for me, I'm willing to swallow the 3.5" iPhone 4 screen because 1) as I said before, I love iOS4. 2) the new screen is super sharp and is much easier to read text on.

In due time (next summer or the following) expect to see the screen size bump up to 3.7" - 4" and for the phone to only get thinner.
post #203 of 2394
I know the battery life is the driving issue, but I would think a 3x5 notecard sized phone would feel really right proportionally.
post #204 of 2394
2 questions - I don't feel like reading through 200 pages so please reply if possible.

1) Is it true that if I have a contract and existing 3gs, I can upgrade to iphone4 for $200? Is this the 8gb or 16gb or 32gb for 200?

2) Is battery life significantly better than 3gs? Thanks.
post #205 of 2394
1) The $200 upgrade is for the 16GB. As long as you qualify for an upgrade you can get it at that price. You can check on ATT. 2) Battery life is definitely better then the 3GS.
post #206 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
1) The $200 upgrade is for the 16GB. As long as you qualify for an upgrade you can get it at that price. You can check on ATT.

2) Battery life is definitely better then the 3GS.
Hmm.... I said I wasn't going to switch, but.....
post #207 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
2 questions - I don't feel like reading through 200 pages so please reply if possible.

1) Is it true that if I have a contract and existing 3gs, I can upgrade to iphone4 for $200? Is this the 8gb or 16gb or 32gb for 200?

2) Is battery life significantly better than 3gs? Thanks.

I believe your contract needs to be running out at some point this year in order to get the early upgrade. Seeing that you have a 3GS I don't believe you are eligible for the upgrade. I believe the offer for current 3GS owners is $200 for the 16 GB model plus another $200, so $400 for you. Also there is a 16GB and 32GB model, no 8 GB.

This is why so many 3G owners are upgrading. Because AT&T is focused on locking in their customers for another 2 years. Also interesting to note that 77% of the iPhone 4 sales are current iPhone owners upgrading.
post #208 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
Also interesting to note that 77% of the iPhone 4 sales are current iPhone owners upgrading.

I've heard this too. Apple doesn't shoot for high market share with their computers, so maybe we're seeing the upper limit of Apple's smartphone market share?
post #209 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh View Post
I believe your contract needs to be running out at some point this year in order to get the early upgrade. Seeing that you have a 3GS I don't believe you are eligible for the upgrade. I believe the offer for current 3GS owners is $200 for the 16 GB model plus another $200, so $400 for you. Also there is a 16GB and 32GB model, no 8 GB. This is why so many 3G owners are upgrading. Because AT&T is focused on locking in their customers for another 2 years. Also interesting to note that 77% of the iPhone 4 sales are current iPhone owners upgrading.
I just called. I have only had my latest iPhone 3GS since Dec 09 and I am eligible for the $199 upgrade. Looks like it is $199 for most everyone - it must be if I am included. Now I only need to wait for a jailbreak.
post #210 of 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
I just called. I have only had my latest iPhone 3GS since Dec 09 and I am eligible for the $199 upgrade. Looks like it is $199 for most everyone - it must be if I am included. Now I only need to wait for a jailbreak.

Great news for you but I must say I'm very surprised they told you that. It was clear from the keynote that you had to have you contract up by the end of 2010 in order to be eligible for the upgrade. Definitely report back and tell us what ended up happening if you do end up going through with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official new iPhone 4