or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MyTailor: In Favor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MyTailor: In Favor - Page 2

post #16 of 49

Since I live close to their headquarters in Orange County, I made an appointment with Joe and got fitted for four shirts.  They arrived on my doorstep four weeks to the day from order.  As I go through Will's recommended five year wardrobe rebuild, MT will get the bulk of it.  I'm waiting for a copy of a Pendleton topster that they are making up for me out of Pendleton cloth.  I expect it around the 7-12th of April.

post #17 of 49
I have been a frequent MyTailor/Hemrajani customer, both for shirts and pants.

Strong vote of confidence here.

I think the construction quality is top-notch for a machine-made product, and I'm impressed with the consistent fits they're able to generate using their CAD-based system.

My one complaint is on their shirt collars - after 15 or so shirts, I'm still dialing in on the collar. That's 15 ordered in about 4 batches, and the collars I've been getting have been fine. That said, I do have RTW shirts whose collars I want to replicate with MyTailor but which I have not been able to replicate perfectly.

On pants, no complaints. I can get a perfectly-fitting, perfectly-styled pair, fully bespoke, for $200 +/- $50 in decent VBC wool. Truly great.

The frequent tour schedule and Joe's availability by email are also major pluses.
post #18 of 49
I have ordered 12 shirts from mytailor over the past four months. I used the online ordering system for measurements. I used my best fitting shirt as the pattern and made a couple of tweaks. The shirt I used was a janten, btw. For the collar, I have used the wide english spread, which really is a nice conservative and sf-approved collar. The normal wide spread wasn't wide enough for my taste. I have used the medium interlining and requested in the comment field that they do a sewn in interlining rather than fused. I have also specified in the comments field the armscye measurement and that mop buttons be used. I have used monti price rose fabrics (awesome) and mason silver line (really impressed, much better than I remember from the mid-2000s). I have zero complaints. I can't see going elsewhere at this point. I would compare the shirt to, say, charvet in term of quality (stitching and finishings). Note that prices are apparently higher if you order from the tour rather than online. also, it does take a wash or two for the fabric to shrink to size. Out of the package, the collar is about a quarter inch big and the sleeves a quarter inch long. But a couple hang dries and it is dead on.
post #19 of 49

They're getting a bad rap these days in SF.

post #20 of 49
Another vote for Mytailor.

I have 50 shirts from them and the fit was excellent as of the first shirt. I started with TM Gold (now called Bespoke) for the first order and all subsequent were DJA and Monti 200 SL.

I deal directly with Joe Hemrajani and I have to say he is first rate in customer service. Also although the website is good, it is just a start. They can do alot more if you ask. I also can't imagine anyone else having a greater selection of fabricx especially in the luxury end of suitings and shirtings alot of which is not necessarily on their website.

I am on my 4th suit with Mytailor as well and really getting the fit/style I want. Lots of handwork and well made especially considering I like the difficult paper thin slinky suitings.

Joe is very versatile but can also make excellent suggestions if necessary. Basically I make a sketch with the details I want and choose my cloth.

At this stage I can't really imagine using anyone else
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Another vote for Mytailor.
I have 50 shirts from them and the fit was excellent as of the first shirt. I started with TM Gold (now called Bespoke) for the first order and all subsequent were DJA and Monti 200 SL.
I deal directly with Joe Hemrajani and I have to say he is first rate in customer service. Also although the website is good, it is just a start. They can do alot more if you ask. I also can't imagine anyone else having a greater selection of fabricx especially in the luxury end of suitings and shirtings alot of which is not necessarily on their website.
I am on my 4th suit with Mytailor as well and really getting the fit/style I want. Lots of handwork and well made especially considering I like the difficult paper thin slinky suitings.
Joe is very versatile but can also make excellent suggestions if necessary. Basically I make a sketch with the details I want and choose my cloth.
At this stage I can't really imagine using anyone else

The key is to use Joe. Out of all the "budget" bespoke tailors I've used, he's the one that takes the most pride in delivering a great product. I've previously used Turnbull & Asser and CEGO, and I gotta say that Joe spends far more time ensuring that the fit is correct - eliminating ripples here and there, adjustments by an 1/8 inch, getting the collar to roll just right, full customization of armhole and arm measurements, choice of interlining, etc. He will design the collar and cuffs from scratch. He is well versed in the online forums and what other brands do, so you can say "I'd like a T&A style collar but softer and with longer points" and he will deliver. He does this all enthusiastically - without any attitude or pushback as you would expect from a NYC based tailor.

The shirts also have cleaner stitching than the Western counterparts, and the standard buttons are thick MOP. You can upgrade to Borrelli altoid buttons for a small upcharge. Handsewn armholes are also available.

The prices are amazing. I don't know where else you can get Thomas Mason Goldline/Bespoke for $200, or DJA 170s for $240.

All that said, the online ordering system is more MTM than bespoke, so expectations must be lowered. I also can't vouch for any of their other fitters besides Joe.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1 View Post

They're getting a bad rap these days in SF.


Can you say more about this? I've heard nothing but good things.

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellahi22 View Post

. You can upgrade to Borrelli altoid buttons for a small upcharge. Handsewn armholes are also available.

.

Do you have a picture of these. I have never seen them and google yielded zip.

Also anyone have experience with DJA 200s & 240s vs Aluma 200s and 240s shirtings?
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by applky View Post


Can you say more about this? I've heard nothing but good things.


He's probably confusing them with ModernTailor. Although I havn't been particular pleased when I've used MyTailor; one time they used a different fabric without consulting me first and the other they use the right fabric but the wrong side (rear-side of the fabric looked completely different, and frankly pretty terrible).
post #25 of 49

^ Interesting.

 

Did MyTailor fix these errors for you?

post #26 of 49
I just booked an in-person measuring in Austin, TX for March 27th. I don't think it will be Joe H. but hopefully it will work out. I'll wear a custom shirt there for reference.

So far my custom shirt experience has been hit-or-miss: Geneva (miss), Ascot Chang (hit), CEGO (hit). But Mytailor's fabric selection and prices are so good I decided to try it out.

Once I get my fit sorted I am planning on ordering the Acorn poplin, probably the 9 for price of 8 deal. I have used this on some other shirts and it hits a really nice sweet spot between quality and expense. It's significantly better than TM Silver and is only about $150 from mytailor. Geneva charged $280 two years ago for this fabric, so it's a great deal.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by emc894 View Post

I just booked an in-person measuring in Austin, TX for March 27th. I don't think it will be Joe H. but hopefully it will work out. I'll wear a custom shirt there for reference.
So far my custom shirt experience has been hit-or-miss: Geneva (miss), Ascot Chang (hit), CEGO (hit). But Mytailor's fabric selection and prices are so good I decided to try it out.
Once I get my fit sorted I am planning on ordering the Acorn poplin, probably the 9 for price of 8 deal. I have used this on some other shirts and it hits a really nice sweet spot between quality and expense. It's significantly better than TM Silver and is only about $150 from mytailor. Geneva charged $280 two years ago for this fabric, so it's a great deal.

If you live in NYC you should just wait for Joe to visit. The other guys are just his relatives or contracted outside tailors who are just there to measure you with the tape. There's a lot of evidence on AAAC that those other guys don't really know what they're doing.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellahi22 View Post

If you live in NYC you should just wait for Joe to visit. The other guys are just his relatives or contracted outside tailors who are just there to measure you with the tape. There's a lot of evidence on AAAC that those other guys don't really know what they're doing.

I am in Austin for the next three months. I'll check Joe's schedule though. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: I am going to get an inexpensive one in Austin in March, then take wear that to Joe in NYC in June. I thinking of buying about 10 shirts eventually so this may be a safer way to do it anyway.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

He's probably confusing them with ModernTailor. Although I havn't been particular pleased when I've used MyTailor; one time they used a different fabric without consulting me first and the other they use the right fabric but the wrong side (rear-side of the fabric looked completely different, and frankly pretty terrible).

Interesting; do they travel to the UK?
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

Can someone turn this into a thread about Jantzen? Thanks.

Apologies for the delay. I like Joe and have ordered from him, but Jantzen's the works. Once you get your measurements down and are able to pick the right fabrics, they are the best bang for the buck. Period.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MyTailor: In Favor