• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blu-ray conundrum

coachvu

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on using a blu-ray player with a standard def tv? I currently have a Sony Wega Trinitron. The tv is great, and I've only had it about five years with light use. I also have a nice Denon DVD player. Eventually, I want to buy an LCD tv, but I'd prefer to get a few more years out of this television. However, I buy a lot of DVDs, and I feel like I should be buying blu-ray discs in preparation for the eventual switch. Does it make sense to buy a blu-ray player and use it with my standard def tv?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would make more sense to stop being so cheap and just buy a decent 1080p TV.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would make more sense to abandon physical media altogether. The future is downloadable, and there's no reason to hoard physical discs, especially if all you're interested in is high picture and audio quality.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
Does it make sense to buy a blu-ray player and use it with my standard def tv?

No, because your standard def TV can't display HD quality.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It would make more sense to abandon physical media altogether. The future is downloadable, and there's no reason to hoard physical discs, especially if all you're interested in is high picture and audio quality.

This.

Also of note, computer screens have contained more pixel density than televisions for quite some time. So if you have a good monitor, you can watch HD video on it (assuming the video itself is HD). itunes gives you both SD and HD videos of a show that you purchase, you should be able to see the difference.

turboman808

Reaction score
Popcorn hour and learn to use torrents. Will broadcast to anything from 1080p on down. When your ready to upgrade to a better TV you already have all your content ready to go and a device you understand how to use.

Drop in a 2 terrabyte drive and your set.

Plenty of other devices but I setup my house with popcorn hours 2 years ago and it doesn't rely on a server/computer to run the whole thing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Popcorn hour and learn to use torrents. Will broadcast to anything from 1080p on down. When your ready to upgrade to a better TV you already have all your content ready to go and a device you understand how to use.

Drop in a 2 terrabyte drive and your set.

Plenty of other devices but I setup my house with popcorn hours 2 years ago and it doesn't rely on a server/computer to run the whole thing.

I agree.
I use the Popcornhour's gritty cheapskate of a cousin, the Patriot Box Office. I am slowly dumping all my DVDs on it as ISOs and will retain my stand-alone Blu-Ray player for the time being for those few (so far) BD I have...

B1FF

Reaction score
Yes. You can get decent players for $100 bucks or less. So, why not?

For older movies, the cost of a DVD and a Blu-Ray is often the same.

It will be a long time before you can practically (or will want to) download and store movies that equal BR for picture and audio quality.

streffert

Reaction score
Being a huge Sony fan, and refraining from being a total douche', it's actually a "Vega" series.
wink.gif
I had an old roommate who called it a Wega all the time, wanted to smack him in the face, probably because he had red hair...

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by streffert
Being a huge Sony fan, and refraining from being a total douche', it's actually a "Vega" series.
wink.gif
I had an old roommate who called it a Wega all the time, wanted to smack him in the face, probably because he had red hair...

Per Sony's website, it's pronounced "Vega" but spelled "Wega."

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say get a PS3, it works as a BluRay players and if you want to just do the downloading movies thing, you can just connect an external HD to the PS3 and play movies through it. I am not sure if other BlueRay players will play movies through an external HD though.

As for downloading movies, at this point, I find it useless since the files are too big and download time is usually too long. If you have a regular DSL connection, it could take some time to download a single movie. I haven't really looked at torrents but I would imagine it would still take a pretty long time to download an HD movie.

darnelled

Reaction score
Unless you're buying a new TV soon, stick with what you have and upgrade when ready for the TV. Prices fall, new tech emerges and the BR player will be a waste of money at this point.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Yes. You can get decent players for $100 bucks or less. So, why not?

For older movies, the cost of a DVD and a Blu-Ray is often the same.

It will be a long time before you can practically (or will want to) download and store movies that equal BR for picture and audio quality.

You must not be familiar with the devices and the sources available. Popcorn hour rips DVDs and bluerays and more importantly pulls torrents.

Long time before this is available? Been doing this for 5 years.
eh.gif

bkk

Reaction score
Just skip BR altogether. The picture quality improvement is nice, but not noticed by all, and the audio quality improvement is negligable.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Just skip BR altogether. The picture quality improvement is nice, but not noticed by all, and the audio quality improvement is negligable.

You aren't the real Stig so I don't believe you!

tongue.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk

If you don't notice the picture improvement you're either blind or watching on a screen that's too small and too far away. The difference is night and day on a large display. Audio improvements are also very real, though unless you have a good system, you probably won't notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads