or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Nice tote bag for boat and beach use
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nice tote bag for boat and beach use

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Looking for a nice but not feminine tote bag that I can bring with me to the beach and on my friend's boat this summer.

Ideally it would have space for a towel, change of clothes, flip flops, wallet, mobile, etc ... I don't mind spending some money (<$1000) but I'm not sure if leather is the best idea since the bag might get splashed with water.

Anyone have any recommendations (with links) for some nice bags I can take a look at? I also don't want to be ostentatious so nothing flashy, please.

Hey thanks so much for your help!
post #2 of 19
Not to toot my own horn, but see the "FS: Other" section for a JCrew tote. I'm not sure I'd want a $1000 tote being splashed either ; )
post #3 of 19
You don't want to mince onto a boat with a $1000 leather bag, do you? Monocle + Porter do a nice nylon tote for £165 http://shop.monocle.com/travel/porter-tote-bag And another "beach tote" by an Italian brand for Monocle: http://shop.monocle.com/travel/a-gi-...cle-beach-tote I know totes are really useful because they hold a lot of stuff (and they look good carried by Japanese guys in the Porter publicity materials) but they always make me think of the sort of bag a male trolley dolly might carry around.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHD View Post
You don't want to mince onto a boat with a $1000 leather bag, do you?

Monocle + Porter do a nice nylon tote for £165

http://shop.monocle.com/travel/porter-tote-bag

And another "beach tote" by an Italian brand for Monocle:

http://shop.monocle.com/travel/a-gi-...cle-beach-tote

I know totes are really useful because they hold a lot of stuff (and they look good carried by Japanese guys in the Porter publicity materials) but they always make me think of the sort of bag a male trolley dolly might carry around.
Haha you're so right. Thanks for the links!
post #5 of 19
I'm quite partial to the 360 degree Tender bag. It's rough and ready and easy to clean if your sunscreen bottle leaks or some such. May be a little informal for what you have in mind. http://www.vat19.com/dvds/360-degree-sailcloth-bags.cfm
post #6 of 19
Filson has a great canvas tote with bridle leather straps that should be more than big enough. It comes in tan, green and brown. I have a tan that is my go to bag for almost any occasion, including boating on the weekends with the family. The best thing is it is only around a $100.00.
post #7 of 19
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
This is awesome. Thanks so much. Just got an ice bag in navy blue.
post #9 of 19
Get canvas....it is extremely weather resistant, durable and most of all, it is machine washable. Sand + boat crud = destruction of high grade materials.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.K View Post
Filson has a great canvas tote with bridle leather straps that should be more than big enough. It comes in tan, green and brown. I have a tan that is my go to bag for almost any occasion, including boating on the weekends with the family. The best thing is it is only around a $100.00.

+1

Head Porter is cool but its a less sturdy bag, more expensive, lacks leather straps and you may need to have it shipped from japan. I'm all for hot colabs and I'm a bit of an elitist jerk but any magazine that charges extra to have a subscription is just too pretentious for me.

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/filson-fath93.html

On sale for $108 with free shipping, if you feel you don't need a zipper you can save yourself $25 and can subtract an addition $5 for if you want drop the leather straps for nylon.

without zipper

with nylon straps
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojans31 View Post
Get canvas....it is extremely weather resistant, durable and most of all, it is machine washable. Sand + boat crud = destruction of high grade materials.

+1 Agreed.

Newbie alert-
After exposure to water (or washing) make sure the bag is thoroughly dried after and stored in open air. Canvas can rot or get musty very easily if not properly ventilated.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
+1 Agreed.

Newbie alert-
After exposure to water (or washing) make sure the bag is thoroughly dried after and stored in open air. Canvas can rot or get musty very easily if not properly ventilated.
Thanks. I didn't realize that as I am indeed a newbie . Good call.
post #13 of 19
not that this is <$1000 or necessarily appropriate for this usage, but - after several years of beating these to hell...the Hermes Garden Party bags in canvas are incredible...durable, hold a ton and seem to look better with use over the years. Carry mine all over creation...excellent piece.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoftime View Post
not that this is <$1000 or necessarily appropriate for this usage, but - after several years of beating these to hell...the Hermes Garden Party bags in canvas are incredible...durable, hold a ton and seem to look better with use over the years. Carry mine all over creation...excellent piece.
That's a gorgeous bag! And you're right, it does look awesome with wear.
post #15 of 19
Not a tote, but might suit the needs for beach and boat trips:

OB duffle bag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Nice tote bag for boat and beach use