or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Low Rise vs. High Rise; Tucked in shirt with jeans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Low Rise vs. High Rise; Tucked in shirt with jeans

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I've been reading these forums for a while, and it's come to my attention that a lot of you mention tucking in collared shirts while wearing jeans when going clubbing/parties and such. I've tried this a few times, but I've often been unable to make this look good at all.

After thinking for a while, I found that all my jeans are pretty much lower rise, so could that be a reason why I've been unable to make this look good? Or, perhaps it's just a difference of perspective of what actually looks good, but I think that's just thinking too deep.

Regardless, this brings about another question, what advantages do high rise jeans present over low rise in terms of style and outfits? Though it IS mostly a matter of preference, I'm sure high rise jeans allow some versatile outfits that low rise jeans simply cannot provide, and vice versa.
post #2 of 18
A lot of what looks good in terms of tucking in a shirt with jeans depends on your body type as well as the rise of your jeans.
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshum
I've been reading these forums for a while, and it's come to my attention that a lot of you mention tucking in collared shirts while wearing jeans when going clubbing/parties and such. I've tried this a few times, but I've often been unable to make this look good at all.

After thinking for a while, I found that all my jeans are pretty much lower rise, so could that be a reason why I've been unable to make this look good? Or, perhaps it's just a difference of perspective of what actually looks good, but I think that's just thinking too deep.

Regardless, this brings about another question, what advantages do high rise jeans present over low rise in terms of style and outfits? Though it IS mostly a matter of preference, I'm sure high rise jeans allow some versatile outfits that low rise jeans simply cannot provide, and vice versa.

It's tough to do. First of all, you have to be lean. Either athletic lean or skinny lean. If you are neither, forget about it. I've seen exceptions to this rule, but they are far and few in between.

Jeans need to be similarly lean. A medium rise jean is best, imo. The shirt should really be quite skinny too. Also, I personally find that soft collared shirts like those made by Steven Alan, Margiela, or Dries van Noten are better than hard collared shirts. And you can either dress it down with sneakers, or up with boots.

Yep. that's about it. There are many bad ways of wearing buttonups tucked into jeans, on the other hand.
post #4 of 18
yeah, low rise looks better on tall lean guys because their frames aren't as wide. my friend can't wear super low rise bc he's naturally built kind of wide (years of rugby is what he blames it on) and the proprtion of the low rise to the wideness of my his looks awkward.

i on the other hand am the opposite and prefer to wear lower rise so my ass doesn't get all lost in the fabric back there. i don't care if anyone thinks thats dumb -- but lets be honest, its all about the way they fit in the butt most of the time
post #5 of 18
I don't think it has as much to do with rise as build of the wearer and overall fit, especially of the shirt. It works better with slim jeans and quite a slim shirt. Balance is my word of the day. Gotta have balance. Problem is that many if not most guys don't look good in the slim shirt that suits this look. Nobody wants to see a shirt stretched tight by a belly falling over the front of a pair of jeans. Alternatively, most shirts are just too blousy to work, especially on the skinnier guys for who this look works. Lots of stuff has to come into play all at the same time. Of course most people completly ignore this and wear the look regardless of how it looks.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman
I don't think it has as much to do with rise as build of the wearer and overall fit, especially of the shirt. It works better with slim jeans and quite a slim shirt. Balance is my word of the day. Gotta have balance. Problem is that many if not most guys don't look good in the slim shirt that suits this look. Nobody wants to see a shirt stretched tight by a belly falling over the front of a pair of jeans. Alternatively, most shirts are just too blousy to work, especially on the skinnier guys for who this look works. Lots of stuff has to come into play all at the same time. Of course most people completly ignore this and wear the look regardless of how it looks.
I agree with the blousy part. It's hard to find a dress shirt that doesn't end up spilling over my pants within a few mins. I'm 6'1 and I've usually had a rough time with shirts. I'd have to get something smaller like a 15 with longer sleeves which sometimes isn't so easy to find, and even then the 15 usually ends up too short on the vents, blah blah blah. Actually, that makes me bring up a question: can anyone recommend brands that stick to a slimmer fit shirt instead of a more traditional cut?
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
I agree with the blousy part. It's hard to find a dress shirt that doesn't end up spilling over my pants within a few mins. I'm 6'1 and I've usually had a rough time with shirts. I'd have to get something smaller like a 15 with longer sleeves which sometimes isn't so easy to find, and even then the 15 usually ends up too short on the vents, blah blah blah.

Actually, that makes me bring up a question: can anyone recommend brands that stick to a slimmer fit shirt instead of a more traditional cut?

Hugo Boss red label.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini
I agree with the blousy part. It's hard to find a dress shirt that doesn't end up spilling over my pants within a few mins. I'm 6'1 and I've usually had a rough time with shirts. I'd have to get something smaller like a 15 with longer sleeves which sometimes isn't so easy to find, and even then the 15 usually ends up too short on the vents, blah blah blah.

Actually, that makes me bring up a question: can anyone recommend brands that stick to a slimmer fit shirt instead of a more traditional cut?

I'm in the same boat as you, 6'1" with long arms. I've had good experience with Margiela and Dries Van Noten, which LA Guy mentioned, as well as Costume National, Andrew Mackenzie, and Diesel (you'll have to look long and hard for one without garish branding, though). Alternatively, I recommend finding a decent tailor who can take in the chest and waist of your shirts. I've had my tailor transform tentlike dress shirts into nicely fitted numbers for causal and clubbing wear.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hmm, I am fairly slim, about 5' 11" and 155 pounds, so I doubt that would be too much of an issue. Could anyone here post a picture of themselves with a tucked in shirt + jeans? Thanks.
post #10 of 18
My 2 cents.No matter how tall and slim you are, if you have the "long torso/short leg" body type, I suggest you stay away from the low rise jeans with shirt tucked in look.

High rise jeans with tucked in shirt(esp more formal ones) looks too old/conservative for clubbing/parties
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchan
My 2 cents.No matter how tall and slim you are, if you have the "long torso/short leg" body type, I suggest you stay away from the low rise jeans with shirt tucked in look. High rise jeans with tucked in shirt(esp more formal ones) looks too old/conservative for clubbing/parties
Agreed. I'd also add body types types aside, I think it definitely depends on the place. There's a difference between tucking in that shirt to look classy at a decent restaurant or wine party and another doing that at a club/show. Unless I'm wearing a tie, the shirt's out. Oh, and thanks guys for the label suggestions. I'm definitely weary about advertising on my clothes but it sounds like I've now got a few places to look into. Cheers!
post #12 of 18
My problem is that since my jeans are low rise the back hem of my shirt easily comes out. i guess maybe i should just get some longer collared shirts but they won't be as versatile(since they would always have to be tucked in).
post #13 of 18
I tuck my (dress) shirt in when I'm going for a more american workwear look or if I'm wearing something like a slim fitted shirt and jacket.

My favorite RTW casual shirts are Prada, either in their 98% cotton/2%something else or 100% cotton, those fit me perfectly, but depending on your built and proportions your mileage may vary (having a 14.5 neck kinda helps getting a slim fitted shirt). Those are eminently tuckable...
post #14 of 18
Everything that has been said is true--the wearer must be in decent shape, the shirt should be slim and fit well, but in my opinion, it is the shoes and belt that make this outfit look good. I personally hate the huge belt buckles (D&G and all that other guido shit), but a belt with a little bit of character and some nicer shoes to match will really make the outfit.

In summary: shoes + belt + slim fit = outfit.
post #15 of 18
I don't understand what someone said earlier about the long torso/short leg thing not working...wouldn't tucking in the shirt have the optical effect of making the torso look shorter-due to the visibility of the waistline? Sounds like an oddity rule of thumb like, if you're fat wear vertical stripes, if you're torso is too long, wear higher rise jeans and tuck in your shirt...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Low Rise vs. High Rise; Tucked in shirt with jeans