or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › No idea how to pair brown linen pants...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No idea how to pair brown linen pants...

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I can't picture anything else going with these linen pants. A typical blue/red/green checked "lawn BBQ" shirt just clashes bigtime. (smooth vs. textured also) I basically wear 2 shirts with these pants: * A short sleeve untucked burnt orange silk "summer" shirt (Now, I feel it's too "warm/Autumn/Halloween", so that's out) * An untucked white oxford (very sheer, hence "casual". Think JCrew not BB) Also, I can't picture anything tucked in, as it's such a casual looking pant. But, I am done with the untucked look. So, I'm stuck this summer. Any other ideas? Thanks!
post #2 of 25
Solid. Neutral color. I'm struggling to figure out what wouldn't go with this.
post #3 of 25
If you are that mentally challenged, and the pants are a 32-34, just send them to me instead.
post #4 of 25
Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

Either in solid or in stripes or checks.

Brown is incredibly easy to work with.
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
Solid. Neutral color. I'm struggling to figure out what wouldn't go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitMyself View Post
Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

Either in solid or in stripes or checks.

Brown is incredibly easy to work with.

+1. You seem to suffer from a mental block, just pair it with a light blue OCBD (tucked), there's no way that won't look good.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitMyself View Post
Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

Either in solid or in stripes or checks.

Brown is incredibly easy to work with.

+1...Also white shirt!
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Tucked or untucked? I feel like this is tucking a shirt into a pair of shorts. Just feels wrong. Also, note the pants have a lot of "flop" to them, so a STIFF formal shirt just clashes bigtime. I will try a blue dress shirt, but..... do you mean smooth/formal dress shirts, like you'd wear in winter with suit pants? B/c I don't just feel like they go with such a "burlap sack" type of fabric. Am I conveying this correctly? I don't wear cream shirts. I will try a more casual white oxford tucked in, and see how it looks.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Tucked or untucked?
I feel like this is tucking a shirt into a pair of shorts.
Just feels wrong.

Also, note the pants have a lot of "flop" to them, so a STIFF formal shirt just clashes bigtime.
I will try a blue dress shirt, but.....
do you mean smooth/formal dress shirts, like you'd wear in winter with suit pants?
B/c I don't just feel like they go with such a "burlap sack" type of fabric.

Am I conveying this correctly?

I don't wear cream shirts.
I will try a more casual white oxford tucked in, and see how it looks.

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
I disagree. A crisply pressed Oxford shirt looks ridiculous when paired with a rumpled/floppy pair of linen pants. I can't possibly be the only one who thinks this way.
post #10 of 25
[quote=SuitMyself;3288860]Cream shirt.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
I don't wear cream shirts.

You do now.

You make a good point about the stiffness of the shirt - look for a cotton/linen blend and a buttondown collar that has light interlining.

How baggy are these pants, by the way?
post #11 of 25
brown linen pants +

...sky blue cotton shirt + chocolate suede driving mocs + chocolate suede belt

...white cotton shirt+ snuff suede driving mocs + snuff suede belt

...light grey polo shirt+ snuff suede driving mocs + snuff suede belt

...light grey gingham shirt + ...

...light blue gingham shirt + ...

...light purple gingham shirt + ...
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
I disagree.
A crisply pressed Oxford shirt looks ridiculous when paired with a rumpled/floppy pair of linen pants.
I can't possibly be the only one who thinks this way.

No reason to press the shirt. An OCBD left to hang dry in virtually any light solid colour would be fine.
post #13 of 25
Grey shirt + black sweater?

Olive shirt + light blue sweater?

Any sportshirt with complementary colors?
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
Solid. Neutral color. I'm struggling to figure out what wouldn't go with this.

Agreed. They may actually be one of the most versatility colored pants I have ever seen.


I dunno if I agree with the advise about pink; huge fan of pink with a nice dark chocolate brown but with a lighter brown, there are better colors (not that it wouldn't work). With lighter browns I like to do earthy colors, match it with a sky blue oxford or even a forest green.
post #15 of 25
I have to agree its easy to get a mental block on some pieces of clothing or outfits. I usually force myself to wear a "blocked" outfit at least twice before I give up. Often it works better than you think. I'd go for a blue linen shirt with a bit of blouse non slim cut tucked in. Or a brown toned long sleeved polo NOT tucked in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › No idea how to pair brown linen pants...