• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does one so rarely see shirt cuff in the media?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non dressers in da media!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket cuffs tend to ride up when you sit down, revealing too much shirt cuff and makes one look like they've outgrown their jacket.

On the other hand, they tailor suit jackets for sitting down (so the collar doesn't ride up), so the real reason is probably ignorance.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A jacket should hit the base of the thumb. Period. Whether it shows cuff or not is irrelevant. It's the same as asking why you don't see "sock" or you don't see "nipple".

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jackets sleeves are cut long to allow for people with longer than average arms. People don't know this, so they think that a long sleeve is normal. They don't get them altered, and presto, you see too-long sleeves everywhere.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
A jacket should hit the base of the thumb. Period. Whether it shows cuff or not is irrelevant. It's the same as asking why you don't see "sock" or you don't see "nipple".

Man, if I didn't already have a signature......

stumy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

This is incorrect and may mislead new readers.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stumy
This is incorrect and may mislead new readers.

+1
smile.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't blame them blame their stylist, I can't believe a grown man in the media cannot dress himself. At least they should be able to check themselfs once dressed for any minor adjustments.

enarchay

Reaction score
Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look? I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible. This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look?

I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible.

This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

It's very likely that your arms are different lengths. It is pretty normal. I am 34" and 34.25". I personally would not pay the ~$20 to have it moved a quarter inch or so but up to you.

Lurch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look?

I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible.

This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

might also depend if you wear a big watch or something on the other side? It can alter the fall of one of your cuffs which might give them impression that it is your jacket

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I wonder if many in the media wear suits that are on set for the day and don't have them tailored. I think ESPN does something like that but I could be wrong. It's obvious for instance that Chris Berman wears his own clothes.

But I think the post about OTR and not having the sleeves altered is correct. They just put in on and don't tailor the sleeves.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Jacket cuffs tend to ride up when you sit down, revealing too much shirt cuff and makes one look like they've outgrown their jacket.

On the other hand, they tailor suit jackets for sitting down (so the collar doesn't ride up), so the real reason is probably ignorance.

One day back in 1984 ... I passed Colin Harvey and Norman Halsey (both of Anderson & Sheppard) walking along New York's 5th Avenue. These men -- particularly Mr. Harvey -- showed shirt cuff ... and lots of it ... and it looked terrific.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads